Home Warranties

Originally Posted By: lschmid
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

icon_rolleyes.gif In our area, several HI offer home warranties with American Home Warranty Company. Does anyone have any experience with them or any comments? They offer 90 and 120 day warranties. I am trying to find out more about the company. I really appreciate the helpfulness of the members of NACHI. Keep up the good work

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Larry,

Welcome to NACHI.

I believe you are speaking of American Home Shield. From what I have heard they are close to the top of the heap in warranties. One thing that you should be aware of is if you are offering the warranty as a couteousy to your inspection anything that you point out as a defect will not be covered under the warranty.

For example. If you call out the pressure relief valve on the water heater is leaking or defective they will not cover that part using the old addage that they buyer knew it was defective and needed replaced when the warranty was issued.

Hope this helps.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: lschmid

Joe, thanks for the quick response. The company I was questioning is American Home Warranty Company from Moscow, Oh. www.ahomewarranty.com. I had not thought about the defects not being covered. Do people make this clear to their client? I know it is popular around here, but do many inspectors mess with them? Thanks again for the response.

By the way, what time zone do you live in? It is 8:30 pm Saturday here in SC and your response wasn’t posted until 5:19 am Sunday. Can you tell me the numbers for the lottery 8 hours early? icon_question.gif Will be glad to split it with you Thanks again, Larry

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

Welcome to the board Larry

I've heard of American Home Warranty. The way I understood was you join, then pay for each warranty. The 90 day is for buyers and the 120 day is for the seller.

Originally Posted By: Mike Faulconer

True statement about AHWA…90 days for buyers, 120 days for sellers, and defects are excluded, of course. While they are a pretty new company, they seem to know the business well. I pay $12 to AHWA for each inspection. It’s another ‘distinction’ at a relatively low cost.

I just joined NACHI 2 or 3 months ago, but must say --- a great HI advocacy group! The best!

Mike

Mike,

Is there any cost to become a member? Can you help us out with some information on claims placed, claims honored and if you ended up reimbursing any monies because they would not pay?

You stated they exclude any defects you find, does that mean if the rain cap is missing on the chimney they would not cover any deterioration of the chimney? Since you have experience with them can you elaborate a little more?

Thanks,

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: rray

Hey, Mike. Glad to see you here.

Mike and I are HomeTeam franchises, Joe. Our franchisor is using American Home Warranty this year, after using Ideal Home Warranty the past several years. I have quit using them during my second year because my self-confidence is so much better in meeting the needs of my customers, so I don't know about their claims and payment policies. I do think that for a new inspector, offering a home warranty is a very viable way to get started.

I had no problems my first year, and I have had four callbacks during my second year, all resolved with no problems, no loss of income, and appreciation on my Client's part. I want them to call me, and they do. For newbies, though, that added backup from an insurance is valuable just on a mental basis.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Joe, you’re probably right about them excluding collateral damage to the chimney because a rain cap was not present.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Russel,

I was thinking of offering the home warranty a while back, more as a marketing tool than anything.

As an added bonus I would think my E & O carrier would love me for it since it should lessen their liability and help cover my deductable. Is that the way it works?

I was very surprised at the cost of $12 per inspection. When I was checking in on them the one year policy was running $400 which to me is outrageous for so little coverage.

I certainly don't want to provide my client with a false sense of security and that is the main reason I am hesitant to offer these.

Thanks for sharing that information with us.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: chorne

Hi guys,

I think offering a home warranty is a little contradicting to
the various standards and Inspection agreements. Most
agreements state something like this: The inspection and report
are not intended or to be used as a guarantee or warranty,
expressed or implied, regarding the adequacy, performance
or condition of any inspected structure, item or system.
Company is not an insurer of any inspected conditions.

Hey Joe, what does the word couteousy mean? ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Carla

being a guarantee or warranty. That’s exactly why many franchises offer a warranty policy, which also is why it is not free. American Home Warranty charges us $12 per warranty.

The warranty typically covers things from the date of the inspection to close of escrow or 90 days from the date of the inspection, whichever is longest. (Now try finding an insurance company or policy that states "longest" rather than "shortest." That's a new one.) The warranty typically can be extended in 30-day increments if escrow lasts longer.

If you read the various insurance claims reports that the insurance industry puts out, most home damage occurs during two specific periods: (1) natural disasters and (2) during escrow. I don't know why Mother and Father Nature inflict #1, but #2 is explainable:

Here?s what typically happens with occupied and fully furnished residences. Since the residence is being lived in and systems are being used on a daily basis, it is possible that something will be damaged or fail during the escrow period and during the move-out/move-in process, especially when children are present. Homeowners rarely damage something during escrow and file a claim against their homeowner?s insurance policy because, hey, it?s not even their home anymore. Someone else just bought it! Why should they fix something that belongs to someone else? Some sellers actually do not understand (or do not care) that they still own the home during the escrow period and should continue to take care of it.

Additionally, many people, when moving in or out, have ?moving parties? or move hurriedly so they don?t have to take too much time off from work or use up vacation days or sick leave. The actual days of moving are when most post-inspection damage occurs, and usually it is by the guests (or movers) helping the owner (seller or buyer) move, so the owner may not even know anything about the damage. In both these instances, sellers like to say, ?Your home inspector must not have seen that.? Buyers like to say, ?Our home inspector missed that.?

Here?s what we know, though: Windows and window screens, and door and door screens, are easily damaged and/or dislodged during the escrow period and during the move-out/move-in process. Doors and windows present and in good condition at time of inspection could be damaged or not working properly by the time Client is completely moved in. Because of the location of water supply and drainage pipes, typically in sink cabinets, where we start cramming things immediately upon move-in, they are easily damaged during the escrow period and during the move-out/move-in process, possibly causing loose pipes and leaks.

Lights, wall switches, and outlets (electrical, telephone, and cable) get a lot of use during the escrow period ("Call Granny and tell her we sold the house!"), during the move-out/move-in process, and for that ?final party,? ?first party,? or ?housewarming,? and thus are easily damaged.

Selling a home and leaving is a stressful event. Although grandma and granddad are not inclined to have a moving party, their children and grandchildren are so inclined, and children, especially small children, can create a lot of damage which escapes the attention of grandma and granddad during the move-out.

A Vacant and Unfurnished Home presents its own types of problems. Residences that are vacant for any period of time can be expected to present problems upon move-in. Some structural and mechanical components and systems that have not been used on a daily basis can be expected to fail upon first use. A home is meant to be used, meaning that a fully functioning home requires proper use, care, and maintenance. When a residence is vacant, there is no one to do regular monitoring and maintenance. Think about the ?haunted house? in your neighborhood or city when you were growing up. It was vacant and dilapidated, and deterioration was continuing on a daily basis because no one was around to take care of it. Same thing with any vacant residence, new or used. Deterioration is an ongoing process; it does not quit simply because a residence is vacant.

So how does one remedy all this post-inspection damage?

A home warranty specifically for this period!

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Russel,

As always excellent points about the warranty coverage.

Carla,

Are you ribbing me again! Ya see, the spell checker was right, I don't know how to spell and I thought it was just messing up and skipped that word! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

BTW...I meant courteousy.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Mike Faulconer

Joe & Company,

Russell stated it all well, and he saved me a lot of time typing responses (& stated more eloquently than I would have). Sorry...just got back to the board.

I've only been 'in business' barely 9 months, so (fortunately) don't have adequate experience to address claims, etc. I do not see it as contradictory -- separate & distinct from the inspection, aside from excluding any 'defects noted'. Joe, I would think that associated damage from noted defects &/or material absences would bar a paid claim. Actually, I would very much hope that it would, otherwise the abuse would be rampant...end of program.

Joe's hesitation over our clients gaining a "false sense of security" is a legitimate concern. I always state that "this is something you probably will never need, and hopefully will not need, but gaining some peace of mind your first few weeks in a new home is a great feeling". Never would I intimate that "hey, if there's a problem you're covered -- what a deal!" Yikes, the results of that would be scary.

So much for my not typing a lengthy response...

Mike in KC