Hot water heater issues

This hot water heater the TPR attached to a drain system and looks the be connected to the unit above. is my thought process correct.

Electrical wiring connections needs to be inside the top of the hot water tank conduit.

A major defect is a condition of a system or component that renders it non-working, non-performing, non-functioning or unsafe , and requires a professional contractor to further evaluate and repair, correct or replace.

1. The pipe should not be directly connected to the drainage system;
  2. The pipe should not have valves or tee fittings installed;
  3. The pipe should not terminate more than 6 inches (152 mm) above the floor or waste receptor;
  4. The pipe should discharge to a termination point that is readily observable by the building
    occupants; and
  5. The pipe should not be trapped

any other helpful hints>

Thanks Stacey

Stacey, you can access all the ICC codes (and ADA and OSHA standards) and copy and paste from them for free from a page on my website. That’s where I got the following:

International Plumbing Code

504.6 Requirements for Discharge Piping

The discharge piping serving a pressure relief valve, temperature relief valve or combination thereof shall:

1. Not be directly connected to the drainage system.
  2. Discharge through an air gap located in the same room as the water heater.
  3. Not be smaller than the diameter of the outlet of the valve served and shall discharge full size to the air gap .
  4. Serve a single relief device and shall not connect to piping serving any other relief device or equipment.
  5. Discharge to the floor, to the pan serving the water heater or storage tank, to a waste receptor or to the outdoors.
  6. Discharge in a manner that does not cause personal injury or structural damage.
  7. Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable by the building occupants.
  8. Not be trapped.
  9. Be installed so as to flow by gravity.
  10. Terminate not more than 6 inches (152 mm) above and not less than two times the discharge pipe diameter above the floor or flood level rim of the waste receptor.
  11. Not have a threaded connection at the end of such piping.
  12. Not have valves or tee fittings.
  13. Be constructed of those materials listed in Section 605.4 or materials tested, rated and approved for such use in accordance with ASME A112.4.1.
1 Like

It’s simply a “water heater”, it heats cold water, not hot.

You’re correct, the TPR discharge pipe is improperly executed. What did it connect to at the top?
It needs to discharge through what’s referred to as an air gap, not an air break (what you show in the pic).

Yes, the electrical connection is also sloppy. Ideally an armored cable is used from a junction box, but that’s rarely the case. So at the least it should be covered and held in place by a proper cable connector.

1 Like

thanks Kent & Simon,

I found all of this in my studies and leaning towards a Major die to safety. would this be correct?
Stacey

What’s a Major die?

1 Like

Major due to safety.

Wish we had more hot water heaters in my area :wink:

Stacey, there is no reason to define it as major or minor… Just call it a a safety issue/deficiency, explain what TPRV’s function is… and what can happen if those deficiencies are not corrected. This will allow the purchaser to prioritize and have the issues repaired, if at all. Remember, most buyers won’t know what TPRV is.

Like Simon says, I wouldn’t use the term Major, or “Major due to safety” which to me is too vague. I’d say something like:

“The discharge pipe for the water heater temperature/pressure relief (TPR) valve was improperly configured. The TPR valve and discharge pipe form a safety assembly designed to safely discharge hot water in the event that the water heater gas burner fails to shut off in a timely manner. An improperly configured TPR discharge pipe can rupture, causing scalding or burns to anyone nearby. The Inspector recommends correction by a qualified plumbing contractor.”

or simply:

“The discharge pipe for the water heater temperature/pressure relief (TPR) valve was improperly configured. This condition is a safety issue and should be corrected by a qualified plumbing contractor.”

The first one conveys more of a sense of urgency, but some inspectors like to keep things as short as possible. Either one should go into the summary.