How many of you actually go into real estate offices?

Originally Posted By: jvanloo
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

How many inspectors frequently go into real estate offices to hand out materials and meet realtors? How effective is this method?

Jason Van Loo

480.730.1526 fax

homeinspectorguy@cox.net

Americana Inspection Services

Tempe, AZ

Originally Posted By: Scott Patterson

I have not solicited business in over three years. You will reach a point that you don’t need to go a calling! You would much rather have referrals from past customers, your professional association website and your own website.

I average 6-8 referrals a month from my association website and about the same from my own website. Past customers, Realtors, word of mouth and the yellow pages make up the remainder.

Starting out you need to pound the pavement to get the business. Work hard and do not try to be the lowest price and you will get the business.

Originally Posted By: evandeven

If you are just starting out, you kind of have to go to the offices and pass out your goods.

About 90% of the stuff you pass out ends up in the garbage. The other 10%, when you get to the inspection, do your normal inspection.

If everyone thinks you did a good job, you will either get a referral from the buyer, seller, or if the Realtor is honest and understands that by recommending you they will look good, the Realtor and over time, a majority of the office will be recommending you as well.

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.
I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about!
www.magnuminspections.com

Originally Posted By: rsummers

Jason I went to some of the local offices and asked if I could display my Boucher’s. Most of the offices let me put some out in my own display and I try to check them every month. Go in and talk to the brokers and ask to be on their short list of Inspectors. Be ready to answer questions about what your qualification’s are and why they should use you. I haven’t been to every office in my area but Ive been so busy lately that I don’t need any new agents for referrals its hard for me to do more than 5 a week with my day job.

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Rolland,

How do you manage 5 a week with a full-time day job? Is it all weekends?
You're doing better than some full timers I know! ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: slanicek

It can’t hurt. Yeah you may get the cold shoulder in some places but in others I was amazed at how much information I came away with after being in there no more than 2-3 minutes. I not only got what all the local competition was charging but also what type of reports they were using, what their turnaround was, etc… You get a hold of a talker and you may get more than that icon_lol.gif

And they weren’t just blowing smoke because these people started calling me about a week later. Even from a few places that were like “well, we’re supposed to only use ASHI inspectors” icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: B Ray

I’m just starting as well, and I know several Real Estate agents and Ihave talked to a few and they say when I get back from school ,come by and bring donuts and they will introduce me around. One agency has 42 agents and for my area that is ALOT, most carry 10-15 , so I think I’m starting off on the right foot by making contact now and hope for the best.

Originally Posted By: sspradling

Jason, what I did to build name recognition when I started 5 years ago was to make small ads that fit on a 1/2 page, vertical. Had Office Depot copy them on midweight card stock, bright not neon. My logo at the bottom. I’d run 175 copies, have it cut giving me 350 ads. Then I’d go to each brokers office and stuff them into individual mailboxes. This I did each week for less than 25bucks, not counting my time. After a couple months, realtors remembered my company name, and I started getting put on their list with other HI’s. It may not be the most cost effective way of getting your name out, but if you’re able to linger when putting them in the mailboxes, you can meet many people.

Stu.

Originally Posted By: rsummers

Erol its only possible because I’m the construction manager for the mechanical company that I work for. I show up to unlock at 6:00 and get the guys out in the morning and try not to schedule any inspections until 10:00 so I have time to do paper work or meet with contractors do layout etc… Its some times hard get the reports done before the days up find my self working at night a lot lately. I’ve got 3 set up for next week and kind of hope that’s all that I do but never will turn them away. If I don’t watch out I may have to start Inspecting for a living full time and give up my cake job.