"How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes" online course

Research & Writing Assignment:

My essay is on a garage inspection. after viewing the inspection I agree that the trusses were not supported correctly . they should have been supported by the top plate of the exterior walls with brackets to prevent movement. If in the state of Florida it would require one of three hurricane straps In the inspection they also used the wrong size of hangers. It would not have been long before a lot of things would start coming apart with this structure

Moble homes or manufactured homes are basicly the same thing. Provding low cost housing through out the US. HUD has different requirements for each region of the country. Requirements vary by the area and weather conditions in each region of the country

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

Moble homes are the same as trailers or manufactured homes. HUD sets the rules for manufacturers and requires tags to be added to each unit. Axles and wheels and tounge are all that can be removed. units must be anchored.

This manufactured home had an inadequate anchoring system. The lack of such systems can and will have catastrophic consequences in high enough winds. Making sure your home is supported and anchored properly will help you avoid this in the future.

As a newer inspector living in an area with a lot of manufactured homes I felt that this course was a must. The difference in the electrical and foundation requirements is enough to warrant the need for the course. Having a solid understanding of inspection requirements of as many different structures as I can get is the goal.

The pier supporting the main frame of this manufactured home is constructed properly with concrete block, but the shims were not tight, creating a loose pier that was not supporting the load of the home. The pier should be evaluated and repaired by licensed general contractor.

Bump keys: bump keys make the majority of home locks relatively easy to unlock without the proper key. Unfortunately, the only fix is to buy an expensive bump-proof lock. If someone is being stalked, it would make sense to let them know their lock may not prevent entry.

Your picture it is a manufactured home set on a permanent foundation with pier blocks and shams to hold the metal supports up very well constructionWhats all proper outlets with vans an Uber home without all the pre-1976 problems good slope away from the building

I found the article on anti-scald valves very interesting being a father five from always worried about them turning on the water and being too hot this article was very informative and I might install the valves in my house

noted that outside Air Conditioner unit was at an age that we recommend budgeting for replacement within the next five years. In addition we recommend that bushes be trimmed back to allow proper air flow to external unit to run at proper capacity.

Choosing a manufactured home article was very interesting but similar in most respects in buying a conventional home. Pricing appeared to be the most prominent factor for selecting a manufactured home as pricing seems to be significantly less. Designing of homes can be computer assisted for floor plans and decor. Moreover financing is very similar to convention loan terms. However, more maintenance is required of manufactured homes to maintain warranty and life of structure. In addition there may be limitation as it relates to desired location for home which is an important condition for home owners. In conclusion there are positive and negative related to manufactured homes buyers need to carefully consider options and future impact.

When inspecting manufactured homes, it is very important for a solid inspection of the crawl space to be completed. The anchoring of the home is a major component of a proper install and set up of manufactured homes. Proper materials used, install techniques, along with current performance are all key factors when inspecting.

HVAC components for manufactured homes are specifically designed for those said homes. It is imperative when completing an inspection that a detailed inspection of those components, especially in older homes where a replacement has occurred that the proper unit was used and modifications, if made, where completed correctly.

The insulation above the underbelly is wet and dripping. There is a puddle underneath on the vapor barrier. This is under the bathroom. I could not isolate the source of the leak without stipping off the underbelly cover. That is beyond the scope of the inspection. The water seems to be clear and is dripping steadily. This tells me that it is leaking from a supply pipe the. A plumber needs to be called.

I just read the article “Doing Damage During an Inspection: It’s Your Job.” I found this enlightenning since I find it hard decide whether to risk damage or perhaps miss a problem. I use to not open an electric pannel if it is painted onto a finished wall. I was afraid that the owner would upset if I damaged the wall finish by pulling the painted pannel cover off, but at the same time I cheat the client by possible missing a serious wiring defect. I now have a sharp razor knife that I use to cut the paint cleanly from the pannel. If the paint tears a bit it is the painters fault for not prepping properly.

Skirting around the base of the structure was damaged/incomplete allowing potential rodent/pest intrusion. Recommend sealing off any points of entry, and setting out “traditional” bait traps for removal. Once traps are no longer being tripped, recommend cleaning/replacing of any damaged insulation. If activity persists, a qualified contractor is recommended for pest removal.

Improper ventilation for area beneath the structure. It is recommended to have a minimum of 8 vent openings at a minimum of 3 sides, with ventilation within 3 feet of the corners of the building, not spaced more than 20 feet apart. Vents should be placed as high as possible on the skirting and sealed off with hardware cloth or prefabricated louvered vents w/ screening to prevent pest intrusion.

Metal exhaust flues for gas fired appliances should be a minimum 18" apart above roof line. Combustion gasses from the lower exhaust flue may damage the taller flue that is above it over time because of the corrosive nature of the exhaust discharged from the lower flue.

The south facing awning pictured is improperly relying on the manufactured homes exterior wall for support. While it is acceptable for the awning to be attached, it cannot rely on the home for support. Recommend adding additional/substantial support for the awning next to the house to make the awning self-supporting.

After reading the article titled “A garage inspection” I learned to pay attention to any alteration in factory engineered trusses as no engineered truss can be altered. I also learned that screws are not allowed in place of joist hanging nails.

Many older mobile homes will have little to no access at the skirting for viewing the underfloor or crawlspace area. Often times the skirting is damaged or brittle with age. Caution must be taken when removing old skirting so as to not damage it.