"How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes" online course

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

The above image is of torn insulation on the bottom side of the manufactured home. The bottom board (belly wrap) contains a vapor barrier and insulation on the bottom side of the manufactured home. The board can be damaged by rodents or when repairs are made to the bottom side of the home (most often to repair broken or damaged plumbing). The torn belly wrap allows an entry portal to the home for rodents and insects. Often times, rodents or animals will pull the insulation out or nest in the insulation. When inspecting the underside of the manufactured home, torn bottom board should be noted and repairs should be suggested.

Research & Writing Assignment:

I chose an article on smoke detectors. Smoke detectors are often disabled in homes due to the nuisance of false alarms. Disabling smoke detectors leads to unnecessary injury, damage, and death. Smoke detectors should be placed in general living areas and sleeping areas six to twelve inches from the ceiling. It is not recommended that smoke detectors be placed in kitchen areas or in bathrooms that contain a tub or shower.

This was a manufactured home crawlspace that had a significant amount of standing water below the vapor barrier that had begun to wick up the concrete block piers and had done some damage to the wood skirting at the exterior (which was improper material below grade level).

I read the article on “modular vs. manufactured homes” and got a good reminder of the difference between these building types, as this is a common question. Modular homes are homes of traditional construction, but factory-built and permanent and much more customizable than manufactured homes.

This is an image of poured concrete that was constructed for a standard-set foundation. Upon looking at the concrete right away, I noticed there was already a large crack in the foundation. The concrete was not leveled and was dipping down into the ground.

The article I read was "Manufactured Housing and Standards. What I learned is that the term “manufactured home” was adopted in the 1980’s by the U.S. Congress. Since the 1970’s, all manufactured homes have to meet a code that regulates the home’s design, construction, strength and durability.

Inspecting this old electric smoke alarm detector with no battery back-up in the hallway. Recommend replacing with a new electric w/backup battery smoke detector. Also, this smoke alarm is to close to the return duct. Recommend having a licensed electrician replacing and moving the smoke detector 36 inches away from the return. The dust can have a negative effect on the smoke detector including the possibility of false alarms.

Microwave mounted to bottom of cabinets over stove top. Minimum height from floor to top of microwave is 66 inches, this is 67 inches. Minimum height from stove top to bottom of microwave is 13-16 inches, this is 15. Bottom of end cabinets are 15 inches from stove top with 3/8 gypsum board behind stove.

I learned the difference between modular and manufactured homes and the building codes that each must conform to such as manufactured homes have to conform to local, state and regional codes while modular homes have to conform to HUD codes. Also the different way the 2 are built.

I was reading the article Manufactured Housing and Standards under the section of placing your home on your own property. Before buying a piece of land you should double check the zoning and any restrictive covenants like the size of the house and any other restrictions. It would be a good idea to talk to a real estate attorney to go over the regulations. Also, make sure you can hook up all the utilities like electricity, water and sewer or septic tank.

As show in the picture, the drainage on the backside of the home is sloping towards the home instead of away. Overtime this will cause issues to the foundation and home itself. The grading here will need to be fixed before the home is able to be finalized and occupied.

In the Manufactured home housing and standards article, it informs us that since the since mid 1976, there have been standards in place for manufactured homes to meet guidelines of HUD. This article also gives us information on how to set a home, warranties and multiple other informative things.

This is a photo of a plumbing drain trap in a crawl space. The trap was leaking from multiple spots from the connections. This is an indication of improper sealing with plumbing cement. These sewage connections leaking are a hazard. I recommended a qualified contractor for evaluation and repair.

The article that I am writing about is deck receptacles. Deck receptacles are required in the front and back of the residence. The reason why the code was updated is because extension cords are dangerous and people were more likely to use them if a receptacle was not present.

During the inspection of the crawl space of a manufactured home the dryer vent was routed to the crawl space. There was signs of moisture in the crawlspace which included deteriorated wood shims near the dryer duct location. The deteriorated wood shims left a gap between the CMU blocks and the chassis. It is recommended that the dryer vent is routed to the outside air to prevent moisture build up in the crawl space and that a qualified professional repair the deteriorated wood shims.

I read the article manufactured vs. modular homes in the article library. The main detail I learned is modular homes are stronger and withstand more external forces than onsite built homes. They are built to better specs and precision than onsite homes as well which would makes sense given their controlled environment during the building process and they must withstand the highway transportation delivery to the site. I do know from personal experience that onsite builders will do their own thing to “make things work” and those practices don’t always produce the best results. I had always scoffed at the idea of a modular home but this article and the stated fact that modular homes withstood the punishment of Hurricane Andrew better than onsite built homes does give me reason to look more seriously at them even for my own future build.

The essay is about the foundation of a mobile (manufactured) home. The mobile home must have a foundation. In addition to the manufacturers instructions and local applicable codes, the institution financing the home and/or the site’s rental community may have its own special requirements that the homeowner must comply with. To help minimize damage from high winds and earthquakes, the home should be anchored to the ground or concrete footers.

The essay is about fireblocking materials nd locations. First, fireblocking must consist of the following materials: minimum 1-inch nominal lumber, 5/16-inch-thick gypsum board, or equivalent fire-resistive materials; or other listed or approved materials. Second, fireblocking locations must be installed in concealed spaces of stud walls, partitions and furred spaces at the floor and ceiling levels; Fireblocking must be installed at the interconnection of a concealed vertical space and a concealed horizontal space; Fireblocking must be installed around the openings for pipes, vents, and other penetrations in walls, floors and ceilings of furnace and water heater spaces.

Skirting should be installed on mobile and manufactured homes to prevent animals and rodents from living underneath. The skirting should allow for ventilation, but lattice is not appropriate. It’s should be solid with vent and access holes. Skirting can be insulated, which will prevent frost heaving.

Mobile and manufactured homes have strict guidelines from HUD on construction and shipment of new builds since 1976. All manufactured homes must comply to a national building code. All new homes must be inspected at some point during construction and they receive a data plate of approval.