How we are getting our members insurance inspection work, and lots of it.

Doug writes:

Thanks Doug.

Erol, Ray, Jim… did you catch that?

Good question.

I think that is because the contractors are looking for other sources of income as the amount of building has decreased substantially. I know of NACHI members up and down the coast doing them in the price range I quoted. I mainly know because agents call me saying that so and so will do it for this amount will you. I am not going to drive for an hour or more round trip to make 50 to 75 dollars. I even had an agent from Tampa call today wanting me to take pictures of a mobile home 20 miles away for $10. You would have to be pretty friggin desperate to do anything inspection related for $10.

Jim, read the form. www.nachi.org/4point.htm The insurance companies don’t accept it without an InterNACHI ID#.

Furthermore InterNACHI members need not have a licensed electrician accompany them, like non-members do.

Ok Nick, I’ll bite. So me being or servicing the LARGEST city in the entire southeast and knowing these type inspections do not exist or rarely exist in my area, please tell me how or where to get started?

The only type verification home/business insurance around here is verifying the residence/business by some guy pulling up to the place and snapping some photos and probably making $40. Travelers Insurance is the only company I’m aware of that even does that around here.

So please if I’m wrong correct me, secondly tell me how I can get started please.

I spoke with one NACHI lowballer here. They charge $45, I guess they need the work as they don’t do many full inspections anyway.

The inspector has to get off his *** and go out and market himself while educating the agents and offices in their areas on who and what they can do for them. Not just to insurance agents either. You have to get your name out there and circulating. Agents talk to one another, there are always several offices with each carrier, independents, mortgage companies (got to market to one of them yesterday at a MH foundation inspection) property management companies (many of them manage properties for out of town or even out of country investors). Write yourself a letter of introduction outlining what insurance service inspections you can do pointing out that iNachi inspectors are recognized by the Citizens Insurance Company for the 4 Point Inspections, etc. When times are a little slow work on getting these out. Post cards from Vista Prints are cheap as dirt, very professional looking and cost about a quarter to mail.

Doug, did you get the projector we sent your chapter?

Ray writes:

Greg, Gerry and Doug already did, but not before you called me a liar.

I’ll keep everyone updated on the status of this project here: http://www.nachi.org/roofdamageassessmentcourse.htm

The INACHI form is the easiest form to complete for the inspection. The only improvement it needs is a place to insert a front and rear photo. I used Adobe Live Design and turned it into a form that I can fill out on the computer,

Jim, you are way off base, and are picking your statistics, here’s some facts for you:

FL has 4.5 million single family homes
Citizens insurance corp insures 40% of them
Citizens requires 4 point inspections on all homes over 50 years old (about 35% of insured)
Other lesser carriers require them on homes of 25 years old.
at worst that means a 4 point on 1 million properties.

how we looking?

BTW, the compitition is no where

Greg, I have NEVER done one for less than $125.00, I do have a local NACHI inspector does them for $85 to compete with local contractors

Regards

Gerry

It must vary by region. That is the price I get also but do few of them for that reason. I can’t blame people, why pay twice as much.

Nick,
Yes, we did. It arrived last night and thank you very much. I have not played with it yet as I need a patch cord for the computer connection but I did plug it in and play with the remote so I know it is going to be perfect for our training.

Nick has always come through for us as individuals and as a chapter. He very generously gave our local chapter a Power Point projector to use for presentations and training. I have had the pleasure of working with Nick on a couple of things and he always comes through, is generous to a fault. I see people bash him and his ideas all the time but often the reason something does not get off the ground is due 100% to lack of participation or failure to ask the right questions. Some of Nick’s good ideas never got any feet under them because people found out they might to actually do something for themselves so there was not enough further interest to keep it alive. Why waste time and money on a project few people are willing to even support or participate in.
I have to add, every time I or our chapter has asked Nick for something, he has come through for us.

I agree Greg, local market issues are a pain, however a year ago INACHI members were not even in the ball park due to the requirement for an electricians seperate inpsection, that issue is now moot.

Regards

Gerry

Of which are all from Florida. So anyone not from Florida getting these 4 point inspections?

Nick I never called you a liar but you most certainly like to fluff things up to fictitious proportions.

So what I’ll do is talk to 2 good insurance friends tomorrow. One owns an Allstate agency, the other a State Farm Agency. If they have anything remotely close to this I’ll let you know. Matter of fact I’ll let you know regardless. It aint about getting off your butt, it’s about this type work does not exist in my area… other than like Greg said a company wants you to snap a few pictures of a home 50 miles away for $10. Certainly no 4 point inspections in this neck of the woods, that being the largest city in the dirtysouth aka ATL.

Maybe should have change the title of the thread to ‘’ How are Florida members are getting insurance work, and lots of it’’

Gerry writes:

Yeah, licensed electrician’s aren’t too happy with me over that one. :stuck_out_tongue:

I personally do 1 -2 insurance inspections per month [at clients request]and it’s typically not the 4 point inspection, it is only one sytem, roof, electrical etc. The most recent was just last week and it was an electrical inspection. My fee for this inspection and for all other insurance inspections for 1 [one] system only is $150.00CAD
Short report, easy money,…more like “found” money!

I personally have to thank Nick and NACHI for opening my eyes to a new inspection service that I didn’t offer in the past!

I’m working with 15 insurance companies on a similar form, only this one for hail damage.

The universal hail damage insurance form will be adopted and be for exclusive use by InterNACHI members only.

Of course our hail damage insurance form will be used in areas other than the South.

Watch the project update page for status as we progress: http://www.nachi.org/roofdamageassessmentcourse.htm

Mario,

Yes I do system inspections, or individual inspections, or let’s say there was some hail damage and a home owner needed a new roof, well the home owner (not an insurance company) wanted me to verify or inspect the work. But Insurance system inspections I’m not familiar with that in my area? Please explain.

Also, I’ll assume that you do not have these 4 point insurance inspections in Canada either?

Please anyone other then Florida please tell me if your’re doing these 4 point inspections. I’m checking with 2 good insurance owners tomorrow. One owns an Allstate Agency, the other an State Farm Agency… actually I know a 3rd person, she’s an independent insurance broker, I’ll ring her too.