I typed in the same question as you did, and this is what ChatGPT came up with:
How to Find the Best Home Inspector
If you want the best, you have to look past price and marketing. The top inspectors separate themselves in a few clear ways:
1. Proven, High-Level Experience
-
The best have inspected thousands of homes, not hundreds
-
They’ve seen all types: older homes, new builds, problem properties
-
They understand patterns—what fails, where, and why
2. Strong Technical Foundation
-
They’ve passed the National Home Inspector Examination or equivalent
-
Ongoing education and specialized knowledge (roofing, structure, moisture, electrical)
-
Memberships like ASHI or InterNACHI are a plus—but not the deciding factor
3. Reports That Actually Help You
-
Clear, direct, and practical—not filled with fluff
-
Strong summary section that highlights real issues
-
Photos that clearly show defects and locations
-
Tells you:
-
What’s wrong
-
Why it matters
-
What needs to be done
-
4. Thorough, No Shortcuts Inspection
The best inspectors:
-
Walk roofs when it’s safe
-
Enter crawlspaces and attics
-
Use tools like moisture meters and thermal imaging
-
Don’t skip difficult or dirty areas
If they avoid these, they’re not the best—period.
5. Straightforward Communication
-
Explains findings in plain language
-
Helps you understand severity and priority
-
Available for questions after the inspection
The best don’t just report—they educate.
6. Completely Independent
-
Works for you—not the agent, not the deal
-
Doesn’t soften findings to keep a transaction together
-
Tells you what you need to hear, even if it’s not convenient
7. Professional Standards
-
Carries liability and E&O insurance
-
Uses a clear, well-written agreement
-
Runs their business like a professional—not a side job
8. Reviews That Reflect Substance
Look for consistent feedback like:
-
“Extremely thorough”
-
“Found issues others missed”
-
“Took time to explain everything”
That’s what separates the best from the average.
9. Price Reflects Value
-
The best inspectors are rarely the cheapest
-
You’re paying for experience, time, and attention to detail
-
Cutting corners on an inspection is one of the most expensive mistakes a buyer can make
Bottom Line
The best home inspector isn’t the one with the lowest fee or the flashiest website. It’s the one who is thorough, experienced, independent, and tells you the truth about the house.
I wanted to make sure I wasn’t influencing the results with my question, so I asked it’s own followup question back to it using a copy and paste. Here is the answer it gave:
This A.I. thing loves CMI®.
The first and last sentence of its advice is CMI®. It mentions no other credential.
Wow.
But YOU posed the question.
The “internet” knows who you are, and what your type, and what you post.
I guarantee the results will be different with the same question on a “clean” machine with no connection to someone who has written about “CMI” about a million times.
FWIW, I asked the question verbatim and the c-m-i thing never came up anywhere in the answer.
Seems like another example of Al telling people what they want to hear (based on what the ‘they’ have documented about you).
Hey Dominic! You’re right, typically AI users agree to terms of use which allow the AI company to begin collecting user data. What is interesting about AI outputs is that not only are they not always correct or accurate, but they show bias based on learned data, which may be the case here, where “CMI” is a common acronym and word grouping in InterNACHI leadership’s computer data, and because of this, it’s not surprising to see the output repeatedly refer to CMI as the best home inspector…and I’m not saying it’s not true!
Ah! Let me try to find a computer I’ve never used and try on a browser I’ve never used.
OK. I have a fresh computer and browser coming to me tonight. I’ll do some testing on it and post results here.
You can just put your browser in “incognito” mode, or whatever it is called with the browser you use. Chrome has “incognito” mode. Basically a blank state browser window.
Dominic, Dave and Kristen all just posted about how AI might show bias to what you have been searching already so I asked an off the wall question to test this out.
My AI must not be listening to MY queries because it picked some guy I never heard of for “best looking inspector”. I looked him up on Facebook, and Grok ain’t wrong ![]()
But I have to log in to this forum to post the results. So wouldn’t it be better if I did the searches on the fresh computer, then emailed them to me, then grabbed those emails from the computer I’m logged into the forum with, and posted them here with that computer? In other words, I’m trying to prevent AI from knowing who I am.
You can open a new browser window in incognito mode (or whatever the mode is called in the browser you use) and put it side by side with your logged in browser window. You can copy results from one window to the other. That said, incognito mode may not be absolutely fully incognito, I don’t know. But I use incognito mode for when I want to look up something and not have my past search or browsing influence the search results.
That’s the only reason I can think of to use incognito mode, but I know some of the other folks here use it for different things. ![]()
Oh dang, the fresh computer doesn’t have ChatGBT and so I don’t want to use my credit card to hook it up because that might tip it off. Hold on.
So, maybe AI already knew what you would think.
That’s what we are trying to prevent/
Hold up, you shouldn’t need a credit card to start your computer or use Chat GPT, LOL.
Well, my ChatGPT charges me $19/month.






