I want to start my HI business, but am apprehensive

I live in S.E. Michigan (1hr north of Detroit) and I am getting ready to enter into the home inspection business. I’ve completed my class and certification, bought many tools, and watched many of NACHI’s training videos, but for some reason I am so anxious and worried that I might make a mistake or run across something I am not familiar with, what if my first customer asks me how much experience do I have? I called many local HI’s in my area asking if I can go a ride along, or maybe I can get hired part time sort of a break-in period, but not one offered to help, one inspector told me he’s not willing to train his next competition even though we live 50miles apart. My strongest supporter is my 17 year old son who is encouraging me to start the business because he wants to get certified when he turns 18 soon so he can join me. I am sure everyone had their 1st day or 1st job as a HI, can you offer any tips that alleviate my anxiety so I would move faster to kicking off the business. I appreciate any feedback or insight I can get.

Yousif, getting some hands on experience is helpful to feel more confident that you can and will do a good job for your clients. Ride alongs may be available. And participating on this forum is educational, too.

You may want to contact some CMIs or CPIs within 40 to 50 miles, or closer, to your area and communicate with them. Maybe one, or more, will help you. Some inspectors feel as though they are training their competition by ride-alongs or mentoring or hiring and some are into it just for the $.

Here is the link for CMIs: Find a Certified Master Inspector®

And the link for CPIs: Find Certified Home Inspectors Near You - InterNACHI®

And Mentors: Home Inspector Mentoring - InterNACHI® and InterNACHI® - International Association of Certified Home Inspectors

Also, you may want to take advantage of your Education Team at education@internachi.org for specific questions e.g. 15 Steps to Become a Successful Home Inspector - InterNACHI® and InterNACHI® Master Class for Home Inspectors . And there is the new training cards app Chris Morrell, InterNACHI’s CEO, offers: New training app for home inspectors

And there is the Helpful How-To Videos - InterNACHI® and https://www.youtube.com/c/internachi for many other things.

And, New Zero-Deductible E&O Insurance information

And, read the forum for much information.

P.S. Welcome to our forum. Enjoy!

4 Likes

Yousif, what is your prior work background and why did you choose to be a Home Inspector?

1 Like

I am an engineer by training, cellular engineer to be specific. I am anticipating a co-buyout so I am preparing myself for the next chapter of my life. I’ve dome few home remodeling projects and helped few friends with their fixer-upper home projects which I was responsible for hiring contractors and do some of the work myself. The idea clicked with me to pursue HI is when I bought my current home, I had to go thru 5 different inspectors to get the home inspected because they were all booked for over a week, adding to that, Mich. does not require state licensing for home inspectors.

1 Like

Thank you Larry!!

1 Like

Forget the fact that MI doesn’t require licensing. You need to put yourself on a level that you could pass any state licensing if needed. You should at least join interNACHI and take all courses to get your CPI designation. It does help in more ways than you know at this point and will make you more confident in your venture.

4 Likes

How long ago was that? You may consider checking on current market conditions :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am planning to do so very soon. Thank you.

1 Like

As someone who is new in the field, and trying to learn everything I can, I’ll share my experiences. Making mistakes is going to happen unfortunately. From what I’ve read on this forum, it doesn’t seem joining a multi-firm inspection group is the best way to get experience since many times I hear they teach in wrong ways to inspect. I haven’t gone contacting people to shadow, as it is difficult to find someone, however, from what I read, that is a great way to get experience. I think learning absolutely everything you can is great, start working and getting jobs, after a couple you will get a rhythm and understand the job way better than any book could teach you. I also check this forum often, because even though I want to learn as much as I can, sometimes I don’t know what to learn, and other people asking questions helps me learn things I didn’t even know I needed to learn. I think it’s great you are nervous about making mistakes, since that means you want to do a good job and provide a good service. Which means with time, you will learn a lot and be able to provide a great inspection. That does mean you will make mistakes, and sometimes miss things. I would say focus on learning the things laid out in NACHIS SOP, once you got that down, just keep learning and never stop. Also becoming a member unlocks a lot of benefits that help both your business and learning possibilities. I highly recommend becoming a member.

6 Likes

Good post Austin!

And, if you haven’t tried it (the below), how do you know it is difficult?

Every area is different for sure, from what I read, I have hear some people have had a hard time finding someone to shadow. But that not from experience, just what I have read.

1 Like

Thank you Austin!!

So true in this statement. Some areas are still thriving in the RE market and others are dead in the water. Learn and study your market and how it’s doing. Plan your business model on the current status and adjust accordingly.

1 Like

This is probably the worst time to enter this biz in the last 25+ years (even including the mortgage “meltdown” around 2009). High interest rates and historically low inventory = VERY few transactions and need for inspectors. Basically, the people you’ll be trying to take business from have established operations and loyal clients. Why are they going to go with a new inspector with no experience? Maybe you have good answers to those questions and will find a way but it’s going to be an extreme uphill climb. Whatever you do, don’t expect to make a living doing this for a long time. Breaking even and just paying insurance, licenses, etc. would be quite a feat.

4 Likes

Your apprehension is admirable. Many people these days show little to no concern over the job they do. Several items might help your first inspections.

Write the report at home after the inspection and deliver it the following day. I still do it this way. This gives you some breathing room and avoids the “rush” factor. I tell people flat out this gives me the time needed to do a thorough job and review the pictures. In 15 years only one person ever told me they needed the inspection the same day.

Even though you might have software on your phone, just make a simple list covering the categories in the inspection and those things that are mandatory by the SOP your following. Review your list before you pack up to leave to make sure you got everything (including whatever tools you brought).

Take a deep breath and jump in. You’ll do just fine!

8 Likes

Thank you Robert!

SE MICH still a hot market so far, but I honestly don’t mind the slow start…

Agreed, so if you’re moving forward plan on being patient.

1 Like

Keep a day job going. A new business does not start instantly, the same way working for someone does. There will be good times and times of desperation. Promoting handyman work, independent of inspecting, is one thing that works. Where I live, there is tremendous demand for construction folks. Inspecting and construction are closely related. It’s prudent to keep your engineering gig going as long as you can.

Besides the actual job of doing the fieldwork of an inspection, just as difficult is learning report writing.

Best to your new business! For me, it’s a rewarding field! BTW, I’m a part time business and always will be in my market.

4 Likes

Hot is a relative term. Here in Atlanta, it is hot for sellers. However, fewer sellers are entering the market because they do not want to let go of their old low-interest rates.

The results are in. Fewer people are buying, and fewer are selling, which equates to trouble for the home inspector market.

Check real estate publications for market conditions in your area.

1 Like