Identifying this plumbing equipment

Can someone please tell me what this is and what it does? It’s under the kitchen sink. The house is on well and septic. I didn’t know if it had something to do with the septic. Thanks.

I don’t know for sure. Maybe a grease trap? What did it say on it?

But that S trap needs to be corrected.

and galvanized piping.

Good point, Marcel!

If you’re in the Chicago area, it reminds me of an old floodgate/backflow valve.
Newer designs are smaller and made from resins/plastics.
Google it…

1 Like

Looks like a grease trap to me.

1 Like

Thanks for the help guys. On top of the contraption it says Shilvock Specialty Co, Chicago, ILL. I found the company is a plumbing specialty supply that’s still in business. I emailed them a picture of it inquiring what it is. I’m just waiting to hear back. I did make a note of the S-trap and galvanized plumbing.


That would be my guess too, but I thought they usually went on the main sewer line. Grease trap would be my second.

In addition to the “S” trap, the waste line is also unvented.

It’s a grease trap typically required in multi-dwelling construction in the wonderful wind city.

I heard back from the manufacturer. They confirmed that it is indeed a grease trap.

1 Like

Makes the most sense based on the location.

There was a brief time when all homes had grease traps or Yard traps that captured kitchen grease prior to gray water going to the septic system. Over time most have been by-passed and left in the ground!
Others know more for sure!

Hey Chuck, you never want to introduce the poo poo to grease! I love reading your responses!

1 Like

I spent a few years working as a turd herder back in my school daze.

Hey Chuck, sounds like you dodged a bullet ! It’s an easy trade, shit runs down hill, pay day is Friday and DON’T chew your fingernails!
Now your a Pluumer!