Illinois State Home Inspection Exam

Originally Posted By: Anonymous
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

To Any Nachi Illinois Members,

Took my first crack at the exam and missed it by 11 points. Is there anybody who can help me with some questions and other information?

Mike Tashman ![eusa_wall.gif](upload://hILV5Z8gRVLwzVpRIDJEm01uB52.gif) ![eusa_wall.gif](upload://hILV5Z8gRVLwzVpRIDJEm01uB52.gif)

Originally Posted By: Guest

You should have been given your weak areas? What were they?

A few things you can study and are easy to get:

Carson Dunlops Illustrated Home.
All of the Code Check Flip charts.

These should help you out.

Originally Posted By: kluce

Just to throw in my two cents. I have 4 years in the Home inspection business, 6 years as a HVAC tech and installer, 3 years in construction and 3 years in electrical plus growing up with a father that is an electrician. I would gladly take the test in IL but I will not take two weeks out of my time to take a class that I feel I don’t need. If I have to study the laws, fine. If I don’t pass the test, fine. But if I can pass the test without spending 2,000 dollars on a two week class and lose 2,000 dollars of work in that two weeks. Then I should be able to. Thanks all to ASHI. Control is the name of their game. Good luck in passing the ASHI, I mean IL exam. Sorry for my two cents and gitting off the subject. Study the ASHI books if you can get some or Carson, Dunlop & Associates books. It’s basicly the same book. I hope Indiana doesn’t come up with silly law.

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

For more information contact the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency http://www.in.gov/pla/ at (317) 232-2980 phone or (317) 232-2312 fax.

To download the law go here http://www.in.gov/legislative/pdf/acts_2003.pdf and, under "Acts 2003" click on "145."

=======================================

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Now that will sure clean up our profession and get rid of the undesirables. If I'm not mistaken a Misdemeanor would include among others: drunk driving; bouncing a check; getting in a bar fight; running a red light; sex with a chicken; shop lifting; Mayor Daley; Ollie North; Johnny Cash; lying about you weight or height on your drivers license; shoplifting; stealing hub caps and who knows what other hideous crimes against humanity.

Its well past time for this kind of clean-up of our profession. I for one sure don't want a bar brawler, drunk driver, or Ollie North in MY Crawlspace.

Dan Bowers

ecrofutt wrote:
Uhhh, Kevin.

Indiana either already did or is working on it.

Indiana Licensure (P.L. 145 enacted In 2004). P.L. 145 established the Home Inspectors Licensing Board to regulate home inspectors and associate home inspectors. The Board shall be responsible for setting the fees for licenses, investigating complaints concerning licensees and establishing continuing education requirements. The Board shall adopt a code of ethics, standards for competent performance of home inspections and standards for inspection reports. Under P.L. 145, licensing requires that a candidate: 1) be at least 18 years of age, 2) graduated from high school or earned a GED diploma, 3) not have been convicted of specific crimes, 4) complete a Board approved training program or course and pass an exam approved by the Board, 5) carry general liability insurance coverage of at least $100,000 and 6) pay a fee. The law also provides that a person who performs home inspections for compensation without a license commits a Class B Infraction. It also provides that any civil complaints based upon the professional services of a licensed home inspector must be filed within two years of the date the alleged Infraction occurred. This law takes effect July 1, 2004.

For more information contact the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency http://www.in.gov/pla/ at (317) 232-2980 phone or (317) 232-2312 fax.

To download the law go here http://www.in.gov/legislative/pdf/acts_2003.pdf and, under "Acts 2003" click on "145."

=======================================

I see that a home inspector has up to July 1, 2005 to be state licensed. I also see that a home inspector may take a class in another state, such as IL, and use that for the class requirements for IN. It will be interesting to see the details on the requirements. I hope they do it right.

I read what kind of people the state is looking for to be on the board. What's the chances of it being mainly ASHI? or is there something I missed saying that the board members cannot be of one organization.

Originally Posted By: rsonneson

I think the area that most test takers overlook in preperation for the test are the drawings. If you study for the test and have limited construction knowledge than reading very carefully the questions prior to answering. depending on the test you get there are alot of questions that are worded in a way that misleads you to the incorrect answer. And remember when the test was first given the goal of the state was a 50% fail rate. My understanding that almost 45% of the first batch of us taking the test failed…

Good Luck

Six months from now!

--
Erby Crofutt
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

ecrofutt wrote:
Kevin,

The bill says 2004

Six months from now!

What's written is:

Section 15(b) "An individual who performs home inspections after June 30 , 2003, does not violate IC 25-20.2-5-1 or IC 25-20.2-8-5(a)(1), both as added by this act, and my not be disciplined or sanctioned for failure to have a home inspector's license if the person obtains a home inspector's license not later than July 1, 2005."

From my understanding, some of what's written are just the guidelines for the group of six to go by. There are no specifics in some areas. It looks like they have no later than July 1, 2004 to come up with the details. One example is how many hours of class is required.

Well, now you see. I should have just read the whole dang thing, like you obviously did, instead of looking at just the effective date.

Erby Crofutt

Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

lol, my wife is a paralegal and catches me on things that I’ve commented on but haven’t read the entire thing. It’s a great day when I look into it further and find out that I was right. icon_biggrin.gif

My wife is smart but after 12 years of marriage, still doesn't know how to cook.

If you haven’t managed to teach her how to cook in twelve years, I reckon you’d better just plan on doing it yourself, or doing enough inspection to afford either a cook or eating out a lot.

Erby Crofutt

Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com