Im a new inspwctor in Pennsylvania

Thanks a bunch @ndegaris

I just wanted to tell you all i got and sold my first inspection for this friday. Thank all of you for the support!

I do have a question about receiving payments though. The guy wants to mail me a check, is this normal in this field?

1 Like

Not normal, and time consuming. If you agree don.t release the report till the check CLEARS! It would be far easier if he paid by credit card over the phone. You enter the information on your laptop (must make a Square account). Approval happens right away. Set up a Square account for credit cards if you don’t have one. You will need it later.

2 Likes

Mia, be careful of spammers too. Lots of them out there that want to mail you a check prior to the inspection. Vet the potential client well ahead of time. Sure don’t want to see you “taken” on your first one. :wink:

Here is one of quite a few links on spammers.

https://forum.nachi.org/t/michigan-inspector-beware-of-jacob-abner/213022

2 Likes

I do take checks at the inspection. Only had one bad check in over ten years. Current ID is required for checks. Not real practical though the mail.

2 Likes

Scam alert.

Were you contacted by text or email only? Is there a realtor involved?

99 percent of us expect payment before or at the time of Inspection. I suggest you adopt the same policy.

5 Likes

I agree with that Brian.

4 Likes

Think I misplaced a “c” with a “p”. I meant to state “scammers” as opposed to “spammers”… Mea Culpa :shushing_face: :wink:

1 Like

k3lo5

Yeppers :point_up_2:

3 Likes

This is the robot from “Forbidden Planet,” 1956

This is the robot from “Lost In Space,”

6 Likes

Cash or credit no checks. It’s written into my agreement. Most pay cash :moneybag::slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Hehehe, ooops. I didn’t really look to hard at the gif, just did a quicky on the phone. Long day. :roll_eyes: post edited…

Btw, both robots shared the screen in two episodes. From Wikipedia:

The Robot was performed by Bob May[5] in a prop costume built by Bob Stewart.[3] The voice was primarily dubbed by Dick Tufeld,[6] who was also the series’ narrator, and Jorge Arvizu for the Spanish dubbing. The Robot was designed by Robert Kinoshita, who also designed Forbidden Planet 's Robby the Robot.[7] Both robots appear together in Lost in Space episode #20, “War of the Robots”, and in episode #60, “Condemned of Space”.

1 Like

I quickly said the same and he said he would try to mail it earlier so it could arrive before friday. The guy reached out by text only.

I will keep this in mind for sure

Has he mentioned the check will be for more than the inspection?

Get him on the phone. Talk to the listing agent.

2 Likes

Does his initial text have the term “I will like to know…” or “I will like to hire…”? That seems to be a phrase the scammers use pretty consistently. The latest scam texts I have gotten came from Karl Jones (not their real name obviousely).

1 Like

Yep, text only with broken or improper English is very typical. Sometimes they only give a first name and they want to book an inspection on a house that is already under contract or literally just listed. Researching the MLS for the address is part of the vetting process of questionable requests…

2 Likes

I almost forgot, lately many of the scam texts come from a number with a (830) area code. Just another thing to watch out for…

I think it is a scam guys. I do see something coming with the tracking number he gave. But he gave some crappy story about how the mold inspectors that will be there before me,(he’s mentioned them before) he included their money in my “check” and i needed to zelle or cashapp them…:woman_facepalming:t5: no way guys no way.:face_with_spiral_eyes: I told him that was super unprofessional and that i didnt want the job unless i met him in person and was paid prior to starting the inspection. And obviously that i didn’t want to pay any one i wasnt personally employing.
Awe he had me excited at first but I’m glad I’m saved from that 2hr drive and a wasted day :grin:

6 Likes

Classic scam right there. Been around for a long time. Good call on your part. Be careful out there.

3 Likes