I'm requesting we toughen up our continuing ed requirements.

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Dear members:

I am requesting that we toughen up our continuing education requirements. I am proposing an increase to 24 hours/year and attendance in an actual NACHI approved classroom or hands on course once every 5 years.

Or whatever the Education Committee can come up with.

Comments please.

Nick

Link to current policy and committee members: http://www.nachi.org/cont_education.htm

Originally Posted By: jpope

I’m all for that icon_biggrin.gif The more education the better.

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: dbush

Nick, if we do this, which I am all for, we will have to monitor/record it for members. We have to ensure that the training is actually happening and substantial, not underwater basketweaving course for 12 hours.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

Hey you can learn alot about Home Inspections by taking a basket weaving course…

I am definately all for this..

--
Gary (Snicker's) Johnson - Free NACHOS
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: psabados

Like the evil empire does. One three day National type event with full slate of programs can accomplish that.

Paul

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

I like our cumulative exception in http://www.nachi.org/cont_education.htm. Many often think it a waste to do more than what is required. The cumulative exception is an ingenious incentive to take more course work up front…when you need it most.

Nick

Nick

That makes sense and a point well taken. If time is available and course is useful take it now. No penalty for early completion.

How will it be tracked Chapter Level or National?

We could have a staff member here track for the Education Committee or we could build Gerry an online submit form. Something simple hopefully.

Nick

Seems to me a simple database that is built to work with the site should work, I am sure Chris could do that…

Gary (Snicker’s) Johnson - Free NACHOS

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all

I am in full agreement with Nick, we need to tighten up on our continuing education requirements, and I for one would have no problem with us uping the required hours, I am however bothered over the concept of NACHI backed training in the style that ASHI do it.
I believe that membrs should be abl to get education wherever and when ever they can, to meet their local conditions, there personal needs and in som caes to meet there states educational requirements. I have previously spoken with Chris about him building an interactive database with in this site so that members are able to up load details of the educational credits, and if need be these could be verified to help members supply a log of training to any entity that require it ie. state government, inurance carriers or trade associations.

Tell me what you think

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: jremas

Good Idead Nick, we need to be a little more organized in that department. Some states have requirements for this so there needs to be a tracking method for this in case of an audit. The more we grow the more complicated it gets but we need to keep all members in all states compliant. I’ve thought about this since I joined over a year ago.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Gerry,

I agree with you whole heartedly... There are already enough places around where you can get home inspection training... So we should just be monitoring and making sure that we are doing it.

Gary

--
Gary (Snicker's) Johnson - Free NACHOS
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: aaustin

icon_surprised.gif I think that CE is great, provided there is a large choice of quality providers. This means opeing up the requirements to every major provider of CE including those recognized by each state for inspectors. At this early state of development I don’t think that NACHI should persue trying to do CE since it is labor intensive and basically a localized venture. I can’t imagine going to a NACHI event until the level of performance and quality is exceptionally competitive with all other providers. If that quality is present, then I would like to see a comprehensive list of subjects and presenters, along with the list of states that currently recognize NACHI sponsored events or certification. As one might imagine, it may be many years down the road before approved NACHI CE and certification becomes a serious reality for viable licensed inspectors as required by the governing bodies. NACHI and every other inspection group / association including ASHI is not a governing body. If the objective is to make money via forced and funneled CE to support NACHI’s payroll (like ASHIs) I’ll pass for now and see what develops. One of the problems with ASHI is that they Do NOT reconize any CE except their own. Keep those dollars coming in folks.

Be careful out there.

Al

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

All,

I am all for continuing education and how ever many hours you set are fine if:

The requirements for hours are clearly defined.
The education is readily available and accessible.
The available education is VERY affordable.

I get tired of having companies like the mold guys call me and solicit my participation in their class in Orlando for $299 because it counts as NACHI education credits.

My suggestions are, use the library to its fullest extent for continuing education courses, even if there is a charge for them. Small fees for the rental of the courses may help either buy more material or keep the items coming back to the library so they are available when ordered. Provide a complete list on the web of tapes, books and courses that count toward continuing ed. Continuing ed could also take place at the chapter meetings. How about a 1 or two hour monthly course and test on the members only part of the web site? That could be easily monitored by NACHI, and provide the type of continuing ed which NACHI feels important which would kill two birds with one stone.

I'm sure we all want more education, whether it is required or not. The more we know, the better advantage over our competition, and hopefully the less likely we will ever need our overpriced E&O.

Blaine ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Resources are out there for cheap or no-cost CE. For example Certainteed offers free web education on 10 different subjects. ASHI gives 12 credits for the total course, NAHI gives 14.75. Reference is given to NACHI acceptance but at no give value.

This was given on a previous listed post. I don't recalled if anyone on our board has set a value at this time. Thats's something that should be applied

With credits given for Chapter meetings, sites like CertainTeed and others, plus whatever State requirements that may be needed for business. All this makes 24 hrs. CE a no-brainer ![eusa_doh.gif](upload://has2a0g32D0AAlDjAwVcrg3HnhX.gif)

Paul

Originally Posted By: jrooff

Hi All:

I do like the certainteed setup and would like to know what others are out there.

It would be great to get like, square D for electric and maybe a big plumbing outfit to do the same. These are great when your area doesn’t offer much classroom stile CE and with no state licensing yet.

James

Originally Posted By: jremas

Blaine, are you feeling OK?? I thought I saw a Jeff Gordon car for your Avitar…

Back to business, we have been added to Certainteed but Nick needs to call them (or walk over to their office) and tell them they need to change their website to reflect what NACHI accepts. We should just follow suit with the rest & what they accept for amount of credits.

Get movin' Nick!!

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Jeff, I’m feeling real good, especially the last two weeks. aaaaaahhhhhhhhh.

Blaine

PS I still think we should have a page on the website simply listing what and where for continuing ed. Or did I say that already.................

CertainTeed is NACHI’s neighbor here in Valley Forge. They said they would gladly change their site to reflect exact approved continuing education hours if Gerry wants. Currently we have 2 mentions (1 a live link and the other our full name spelled out) on that page:

http://www.certainteed.com/bldgsolutions/bspd00001.html

It is a good course, and free.

Nick

Originally Posted By: chorne

Hi all,

I am in for CEU's.
I am wondering about the NACHI tips and how
we are keeping track with the organization.
I keep a running tab of each time that I spend,
but how do we get credit for that time?
Is anyone else having a hard time putting in for
the videos from our library?

Carla