In 2018 InterNACHI will be offering all of N. America free home inspections forever.

None of this affects your current business.

But if you and some listing agent you work with like the concept of the program, we’d love to try to work with you both. But again, you don’t have to of course.

If this means that a WDO inspection can be included in the free inspection, then it will very much disadvantage my home inspection company. Who would select me to pre-inspect when they can choose a competitor that can offer a termite inspection due to dual licensure or some type of (shady) arrangement with a termite company? I hope that I’m reading this wrong, but if not, please exclude termite inspections from the whole deal. Separate license here in Florida. :frowning:

Quote didn’t work…

FROM PAGE 7:

Re: In 2018 InterNACHI will be offering all of N. America free home inspections forev
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbitterman https://nachi.cachefly.net/forum/images/2006/buttons/viewpost.gif
Nick,
What about add-on inspections. In Florida WDO inspections are big. Would you cover the cost of adding that to the sellers inspection to show the home was clean or not? If termites were found then the seller could provide proof of treatment. This would also be helpful if the seller planned on the sale going VA.

Yes, covered **

***Florida Insurance Inspections***

Serving Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties since 2001.
Dennis J. Bonner, G.C
[size=3]CGC-1514215, HI-256[/size]

I think I can sell it fine.
However most times I do this for a “listing” they want to limit their repair expense & exposure AND most agents do not want to know much of anything anyways.

So I perform a 4 Point Major Systems (roof-electrical-plumbing-AC) & a WDO/Termite inspection.

My simple questions after reading the thousands of words here:
The agent puts me in touch with their seller/client.

1. Will this type of work qualify for the program?
  2. Can I definitely perform the inspection or does it go into a system that I will loose it?

Probably. I haven’t worked out a formula for that yet.

I would never let you lose work that you procured.

And I think you make a good point about termite inspections. Also, it doesn’t make any sense for us to do those for free in addition to the home inspection as the real estate lead doesn’t increase any more in value, like our costs would increase for including a free WDO report.

Thank you for your quick reply Nick. Unnecessary costs, liability of course, complexity, and surely other issues. Glad to hear your perspective.

Looking forward to 2018. :slight_smile:

I have a few people in mind I could call immediately and have 2 or 3 inspections this week without any effort. Heck, one of them was just here in my house a few hours ago (our kids are best friends). I just need to the go ahead.

But Nick didn’t answer:

1. Does that mean some homes will not qualify?

2. If I have a listing agent who call me to inspect a home under this program do I have to get an approval first to make sure the home qualifies?

That was and still is your contention, (I assume) but it is not a reality. The whole idea is flawed from the start and riddled with so many potential bad outcomes it will cause too many negative situations to be of any value to any agents, sellers, inspectors etc… In my opinion.

Jim

Some already don’t. For example: I don’t see how a FSBO is going to be any use to us in this program. Homes under contract (pending) aren’t either. Anything before we launch the program next year, of course. I’m sure there are more.

Or just go do it and charge the seller directly like any other seller inspection. Either.

I don’t like that answer at all. I don’t see why this can’t be marketed just like the buyback program. Every home should qualify, except FSBO. If you want to make this program worthwhile to members and NACHI as an organization, shouldn’t you be targeting all RE represented homes for sale?

Having said that, I also don’t see why some members are losing their minds over this. It’s an attempt to launch a new revenue stream for everyone involved. It isn’t mandatory so if you dislike the idea, don’t participate!

Even if you don’t like it, and don’t activly participate in it, if your competition DOES, you are being affected! Like it or not, now you will have to deal with it.

Isn’t that the nature of business?

Tell us that when you make it past year one.
Btw… where’s your website?

The “you’re stupid because you haven’t done this for 20 years” argument is played out. If you can’t formulate an original thought, you should try to not comment. It makes you look weak and afraid.

So, you’ve got low self-esteem issues. Gotcha.

Some may think this, but if inspectors are good overall they know things are going to be caught. I did an inspection two weeks ago on a flip, called out a lot of stuff, did a repair verification on it this past week and the seller (a contractor) put me on schedule to pre-list inspect his other projects so they WOULD NOT be held up like this one was. If the quality of our industry is there people will want to find it fast not try to slide it past the buyer.

I tend to disagree.

The agents who do use me for listing inspections claim that doing so speeds up the transaction and makes the home less likely to fall out of escrow.

The majority of homes I inspect that fall out of escrow do not fall out over items I find, but that the buyer suddenly feels like the seller should fix everything or offer a massive discount over said items, while the sellers feels the items are not worth a massive discount. Hurt feelings ensue, and the deal falls apart. Now the seller is on the hook for another months’ of mortgage payments, they’ve wasted 10-30 days of escrow, and even if they take a new offer the next day, they’re in another 30 escrow holding pattern. That can lead to short sales or bankruptcies when the seller can’t move the home in a timely period.

With a listing inspection, everything is out in the open. The buyer can go ahead or walk away upfront, and negotiate everything ahead of time. Yes, there may be a 2nd inspection (I do plenty of those too), but those generally don’t kill a deal, unless the 1st inspection was pathetic (which is exactly what happened recently).

That did NOT answer the question.

So I’ll ask again:

1. If I have a listing agent who call me to inspect a home under this program do I have to get an approval first to make sure the home qualifies?

Yes, and not just from InterNACHI. The seller has to agree too.

I understand this isn’t rolled out yet, but you’re looking for tests.

Do we have Beta forms that we can have the listing Agent and Seller sign, either PDF or Web?

The headline says ALL HOMES?? and now qualified homes??