In 2018 InterNACHI will be offering all of N. America free home inspections forever.

You mean the story about crooks, thieves, liars, and murderers? :roll: Good analogy.

I agree with Ian. After all the BS with ISN and Porch and the effort to handle Porch and now we are in bed with them. Is this a developing arrangement or was that the plan?

Repair verification
Project Overseeit

Sorry not picking on you post specifically.

Do you guys not read the forum prior to posting.

A member asked if the report can be delivered to InterNACHI through ISN.

Nick replied that he has not spoke with Porch regarding this option.

One would assume that Nick decided to speak to Porch.

Porch = ISN See the connection.

I actually never even heard of Porch until Kevin O’Malley came to visit me and told me they bought his Home Owners Network (HON) out. Then they bought out ISN. So I bought a piece of Porch. To this day, I’ve never even visited the Porch.com website. I guess I should go checkout what I bought. Anyway, the CEO, Matt, is a standup guy. He’s come to visit me several times. We’re exploring ways we can help get inspectors more work and more money. Well, at least I am. He wants to help Porch of course. Maybe there is something we can do together. It makes no sense to me to try to avoid them. They already own HON, ISN, and who knows what else in our industry they have their eye on or already acquired. It’s a free country. I’m just trying to do my best. The www.nachi.org/ford deal took me 3 years to negotiate.

Running a few tests in Florida is not enough to sway me. 100 in four different regions maybe.

I agree. That’s why we won’t be able to roll anything out until next year. Lots of work to do yet.

Hi Nick, Another thing; You said here that the agent gets to choose the inspector for these free inspections but in a reply to someone else you said Nachi chooses for this free inspection. Which is it?

Thanks,
Mike

In my honest opinion this will never work for many reasons.
First off no, or very few listing agent (and buyers agents) or seller will ever want this. Heck most listing agents and sellers are hoping a buyers inspector misses defects and the sale gets to the closing table quickly and with no obstacles to deal with like all the now known and disclosed defects in the home.

1. Why would they want defects in the property to become available to all the public to see ?

2. Now wouldn’t they legally be required to disclose all of the now known defects to all future potential buyers?

3. If a buyer brings in their own inspector of their own and this inspector finds defects that the original Nachi missed wouldn’t that make the original Nachi look incompetent and thus discredit the Nachi inspector and Nachi as a whole ?.

This whole idea has “Big backfire” written all over it and frankly is one of the silliest ideas I have ever heard of. in my opinion.

Jim

I have several posts about ancillary but no response.

What about the mold, sewer, chimney and radon fees I would lose under this?

I add these a la carte and going back for that is often not worth it. How is that addressed because I know there are others?

You mention repair verification fees being great and then mention most sellers will only add the paperwork. I agree, but what kind of figures do you have?

To add the BB G in Cali then state that they need a Nachi inspection for the buyer won’t go over well here. This is one of the most sophisticated and demanding markets in the US.

John Harrison figured it out. Nice work sir :slight_smile: . www.OverSeeIt.com There are a lot of inspections that can come from the repair-verification and project oversight side of this.

Thanks Nick

I saw in a previous post that someone asked if the seller or LA decides not to list the report or move forward with the sale will we still get paid.
Your answer was YES.

1. would this also be marketable to FSBO?

You’d gain more of them. If 10 consumers download your report, only one can buy the home. The other 9 consumers are yours and they already have a sample copy of the work you do in their hands. They need a home inspection at least. Up-sell the mold and radon or whatever else you can. Better to have 9 clients to up-sell than one to up-sell. Plus the seller might be moving locally. There’s another client you have a shot at.

No. A FSBO can’t get our reports in places where they’d have a chance of being downloaded. If they aren’t downloaded then we don’t have any real estate leads which is where the value is in the program that is necessary to fund the payments to the InterNACHI members for doing the inspections.

Maybe a deal with Zillow could change that, but I’m not seeing how it would make sense with a FSBO.

That’s actually a myth. Agents don’t get paid like inspectors do. They only get paid if a deal closes. They work on commission. So there is no margin in them delaying the discovery of a major defect until the 11th hour where it wrecks the deal. It’s way better for the issue to get addressed early.

Furthermore, even if an agent thought like you suggested, a few hot real estate leads provided to her for free is going to “get her mind right.” LOL.

Yes. And that’s a good thing for all parties.

Yes. But that’s still better than not finding those defects until after the buyer moves in. I’ll give you a proof by extremes:

Let’s say I’m a home inspector and I discover a roof that is shot and needs to be replaced. But like a total goofball, I report that the roof is brand new. My client moves in and the roof leaks. My client then discovers the roof isn’t new. That’s a pretty bad hypothetical I’ve painted, correct? It can’t get worse than that and either me or my insurance company is going to be buying my client a new roof. And I have egg on my face.

Now if a second inspector would have come in before the homebuyer bought the house and discovered the mistake I made…I’d still have egg on my face. But I wouldn’t have a roof to replace. There are no damages if someone catches my mistake for the homebuyer in time. So if a second inspector catches your mistake for you, kiss that inspector. He saved your butt.

Better to appear incompetent with no damages than to appear incompetent with damages.

Exactly John.

This whole silly idea is potentially disastrous too all. It can slow down real-estate transaction for all involved, sellers, agents on both sides, banks, lenders etc… and the buyers. It could kill many deals altogether for all involved parties on both sides. It could bankrupt sellers, force short sales or bankruptcies of sellers. I could go on and on.

This is a very poorly thought out idea and has way too many potential flaws that far outweigh any possible benefits it might have, (if any).

Jim

Quite the reverse. It keeps agents from wasting time on deals headed for disaster.

Read: http://www.moveincertified.com/agents

There is a fear, rational or not, among many Realtors that playing with all your cards on the table is worse than keeping your cards close to your vest. It’s the fear of dealing with the inevitable that we have to help them overcome. Top performers get it, but most Realtors are relative rookies that will suppress that fear until the scab gets ripped off at the buyers inspection. Much better to have control over the situation , and THAT’S what we have to sell 'em on.

Gotta say Nick…you sure do know to blow up the MB and FB!!