Infrared cameras

Originally Posted By: jhugenroth
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Has anybody seen or used an infrared camera for moisture detection? There was an article on them in the latest edition of Communicator magazine. They cost as much as a used car (about 9 or 10 grand) but I thought they might make a good ancillary service. If anybody has used one let us know if they’re worth it. Raytek makes one, and there are a couple of other brands as well. Just don’t know if the cost could be justified…

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman

J,

I have a FLIR P60. and have been doing IR for over a year as an IR business. With starting an HI business I market the cam to sellers and buyers. The call for IR in Florida is still very slow. I am slowly getting more calls and referals for the IR. I have had Mold/Moisture calls where the IR found the issue but nothing else did.

Does it work? YES.

Is it cost justified? Not Yet.

An IR cam can be purchased and taken right out to use, but I have seen reports of people using an IR cam for 1 - 2 years that were completly off base. You must get training ![icon_exclaim.gif](upload://kW92MliyHA8ygoXI0UsgtBSn4ZO.gif)

There are also many specs that relate to IR cameras that are reflected in the price. Study and ask a lot of questions of the IR sales rep.

I paid $50k for mine. Is it better than the $10k?? Yes. Is the additional justified? Not for HI, but for other areas it is.

Good luck

--
Rob Z.
www.RZinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jhugenroth

Thanks for the info Robert.