Ins. how much? And Who would you reccomend?

Originally Posted By: kbliss
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi

I am starting up a Inspection business and was wondering if anyone could give me some info on how much e/o ins I should carry and who would they reccomend.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Before you purchase E & O insurance for asset-protection purposes (and not because your State requires it). Make sure you are:

1. using the NACHI contract (between you and your client).
2. incorporated (a fraction of the cost of E & O insurance).

Nick

Nick,

I am incorporated and I will use the NACHI agreement. I was wondering if you can give some ball park figures for ins. . I just don`t know how much is enough . And what kind of premium should I be looking at.

Kurt

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

In PA we are required by law to carry $500,000 but NACHI members get a great rate ($1200-$1400/year) from Griffith Agency.

Nick

Thanks Nick for the info.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I use FREA and have a $1mil policy. It’s a bit pricey for year one, but comes down to about $2100 year 2. Don’t know it Griffith will insure you, as you are operating in FLA. Nick?

I got a price of 3,400.00 from FREA so they are a little pricey.Is the membership a good benefit ?

Originally Posted By: gbell

Hey Kurt,

The price is so high because you are a new inspector. Once you have a few years under your belt the price should go down. The membership has no benefit unless you plan on moving to California. Check around for a better price but I doubt you will find one. Good Luck

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: Ed Porter

Nick,

Please expand on your incorporation comment. Would you recommend (your OPINION only, as you are not a legal or tax expert) icon_wink.gif an S Corp or an LLC?

Ed Porter

Cornerstone Home Inspection Services

Grand Haven, MI

I am in a S corp., I talked to my lawyer about it and this is what he recommended . It helps as far as liability , taxes and it is less exspensive than a LLC.

Kurt Bliss

Home Inspections by Kurt Bliss