Inspecting a Trailer

Originally Posted By: joconnell
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What, if any, special considerations need to be taken when inspecting a trailer home?

Thanks in advance.

--
Regards,

Joe O'Connell

Originally Posted By: jpope

Here’s some past discussions on the subject.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=1655

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

WOW!

That was fast!

Thanks for the help, Jeff

--
Regards,

Joe O'Connell

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Joe,

I personally will not inspect trailers period but knowing that many members will, I would suggest that your first question be how old is it. Most trailers were built with a projected 20 year life span, and if the "vehicle" you are being asked to inspect is getting towards the end of it's projected lifespan you have to ask yourself if it is worth the increased liability ??

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Point well taken, I’ll be sure to ask before I schedule anything.

Regards,

Joe O'Connell

Originally Posted By: mbailey

Check to see if the tongue, wheels, tires, and axles are removed ? and where said components are stored.

Check how many tie downs are installed ? and what type, also note the type and amount of supports - and if they are on concrete piers.

Look for cracks/openings in the skirting that can allow access by vermin.

Check main water supply line to make sure it is protected from freezing ? often times these are unprotected.

Do your plumbing check before you crawl under the home ? unless you want to go under twice (either way it is messy).

You may also want to check with your E&O carrier to make sure you are covered for mobile home inspections.

--
Mark Bailey
Stonegate Property Inspections LLC
Ponca, NE

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Quote:
Most trailers were built with a projected 20 year life span, and if the "vehicle" you are being asked to inspect is getting towards the end of it's projected lifespan you have to ask yourself if it is worth the increased liability ??

Man, Gerry....We have mobile home parks down here from the 50's. Several from the 60's, and a ton from the 70's.

We also have a new park up the road that the double wides start at $140,000. If you don't do mobile homes in my area, you throw away ? your business.

The most problematic areas on mobile homes (at least these) are the floors, roofs and many have Polybutylene plumbing lines. And termites just Looovvveee to chew em up. ![eusa_shifty.gif](upload://rN4l1OcK3R92kuugwdpBnZUyCsg.gif)

Originally Posted By: adeerey

Sorry

I really think you need to understand Trailors and Module homes pretty well to inspect them.

Key word is visual and there are a ton of hidden problems in these things, they only live a short life If taken care of.

I understand some people have to do it in there areas, but They are here also and I will not inspect them.

But if you feel you understand the construction and have one hell of a report then go for it.

Hint?
Do not use the comment "Home Appears to be missing its wheels"
They take the wheels off when they park them. hehhehhe

They just scare me with hidden issues that can come back quickly - Plus they are a bitch to inspect -

Just my view
Aj

Thanks for all of the input, gentlemen. I think that I’ll probably pass on this one.

Regards,

Joe O'Connell

Quote:
They just scare me with hidden issues that can come back quickly - Plus they are a bitch to inspect -

That is why in my agreement is a statement that "hidden, latent or concealed defects are not within the scope of this inspection".

I also have a statement in my report that explains that mobile homes due to their construction have a much greater risk of hidden defects than the average home. Something like that anyway.

Again, the roof and floor are the areas major defects are usually found, and you have to disclaim the floor most of the time because it is covered with insulation and a moisture barrier. There are almost always termite mounds in the crawl area, many have Polybutylene plumbing, Harry Homeowner for some reason almost always is the on site electrician, the walls are paneling which after 5 years is warped. But, they are still easier to inspect than Boats!

Originally Posted By: bemelander

Joe,

I’ve been in the business for two years and started out willing to inspect anything.

Well after two years I have had only 2 complaints (both resolved) and your correct both were Mobile Homes.

I did some checking before doing the inspections and found a couple of good resources.

First was paper on Inspecting Mobile Homes at http://inspect-ny.com/mobileinspects.htm

Second a friend faxed me the ASHI Reporter for October 2000. Good article, Making the move to inspecting mobile homes.

By the way I now turn away more Mobile homes then I keep.
Hope this helps.
Bill

--
Anchor Home Inspections

bill@anchorinspections.com

Bill, I tried three times. The link you posted doesn’t work.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Blaine,

The link was just missing a few W's thats all:

http://www.inspect-ny.com/mobileinspections.htm

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Thanks Gerry, that is a very good link with useful info.

Bill and Gerry-

Thanks for the link, very useful info.

Regards,

Joe O'Connell

WOW, I didn’t know we had to do all that stuff. Radial or Bias ply, size of the hitch ball, load balance…OOps, wrong thread

Originally Posted By: bemelander

Gerry

Thanks for the W’s

Bill

Anchor Home Inspections

bill@anchorinspections.com

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

Don’t make the mistake of calling a modular home a “mobile” home. The owners usually take GREAT OFFENCE to that. icon_rolleyes.gif

This Ole House-Home Inspections

William A. Campbell TREC # 6372

Serving the Texas Coastal Bend

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)