inspecting heat pumps

Originally Posted By: kbliss
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

When inspecting a heat pump sometimes the information plate does not have the size of the unit in BTUs or tons, just HP, how can you determine the size of the unit with only the HP listing?

Kurt

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Kurt,

to find BTU/MIN from horse power multiply by 42.44. Hope that helps

Regards

Gerry Beaumont

Originally Posted By: kbliss

Gerry,

Thanks for the help but I still don`t get it. If you multiply the H/P by 42.44 say 1/6 H/P X 42.44 = 25.46 then what?

Kurt

Kurt,

Then multiply by 60 for BTU/HOUR ! Sorry don’t have time to do the calculations I’ve got to run.

Gerry

Originally Posted By: rmeyers

Kurt,

I'm not sure how much we can determine from just the pump Hp and it's Btu equivalence (Power Input) without the manufacturers test ratings on output and performance (COP-Coefficient of Performance). The COP's for the older units were generally 1.5 to 4.

Using 1/6Hp = .17Hp x 42.44 Btu/m =7.21 x 60min = 432.6 Btuh ?? Not being a heat pump expert, I'm not sure if this constitutes what is considered as the Power Input. (Sounds low to me? but hey!)

The COP being equal to the Heat Output (Btuh) divided by Power Input (Kilowatts converted to Btuh)

My preferred method, if you can find the Manufacturer's name and model number, you can cross reference it in the "Preston Guide to Manufacturer's Specifications" to determine the Year, BTU capacity and EER/SEER rating of the unit.

On the newer models there should be a HSPF (Heating Seasonal Performance Factor) on the Energy Guide Label. (Current Minimum 6.8) This newer rating includes both the very efficient heating by the compressor and the less efficient heating done by the electric resistance elements.

On the cooling side the current minimum Fed Standard for the SEER rating (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) is 10.0.

I would highly recommend using the NACHI library to get the video "A/C Heat Pump Seminar" by Joe Scaduto. I just signed up for it myself. I'm sure it will be informative as well as entertaining. I have a couple of Joe's books that have been very helpful over the years.

There is also a Dept. of Energy web site with Heat Pump information.
http://www.eere.energy.gov/buildings/consumer_information/heatpump/pumpabout.html

Not sure these comments have been helpful but it's something I could use some more information on myself!

Have a GREAT DAY!

--
Russ Meyers

Hi Kurt,

Now I’ve had chance to sit down and ponder your problem it occurs to me that the 1/6 hp rating you have noted may just be the motor rating not the exchanger output potential. But the best answer I have seen by far to this post is above, by Russell. when in doubt find better info icon_confused.gif

Oh by the way if you want to convert any thing to anything in future, i.e. Mattebille gumbo beans into light years per square centimeter, try the following link.

http://www.pmel.org/HandBook/HBConversion.htm

Regards

Gerry Beaumont

Originally Posted By: phughes

When the temperature is above 65 or so, how do you all test Heat Pump Systems?

Do you test the electric or Gas backup emergency system?

Originally Posted By: Brian Silowash

Hi Everyone,

Gerry's link is a pretty good piece of software, but an easier one appears on my website. Go to http://www.idea-llc.biz/unit_converter.htm and click on the Download Converter Button. It will send you to a short form from where you will be able to get a really handy unit converter.

The form asks some questions about who you are... The marketing company uses this for general info.. they aren't going to start spamming you. But if you're bashful about it, don't give your name. You can still download the converter without giving your name and e-mail.

And it's free.

-Brian

Hi Brian, and welcome to Nachi, I like your converter as mine does not do furlongs per fortnight icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"