Inspection Team?

One friend just bought a house a little over a year ago and did get a home inspection. He said a “team of guys” (he thinks it was about 5 or 6) came in and did the inspection. He’s going to try to get the company name for me.

Is this at all common? Could one have been the Licensed Inspector and the others not licensed working under the Inspector (Is that allowed)? I asked him if maybe they were training and he said no, they all did separate areas of the house on their own.

This is in Florida, BTW.

Thanks,
Carl

Sounds like Russell Hensel.

The area is right, Fort Myers. I assume all those guys have to be state licensed then?

Thanks,
Carl

No, they do not.

A Home Inspector has to be state licensed in Florida. How then does that work if unlicensed inspectors are “inspecting” as a team?

Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks,
Carl

Does everyone building your house have a General Contractors Licence?

Am I not phrasing my question right to get an answer?

Am I missing some kind of secret “loop hole” where you don’t need a State License to inspect a home in Florida?

I’ve read this top to bottom and don’t see any sections about farming out work to unlicensed individuals who operate under your HI license.

https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ChapterHome.asp?Chapter=61-30

If it’s allowed, tell me why it’s allowed (If you know).

Thanks,
Carl

I have been turned in DBPR twice and both times they have found in my favor.

Never once is a job performed without a licensed home inspector on the job. One MUST be present at all times during the inspection.

When confronted by DBPR I asked them how is an inspector to get experience in the profession? Get a license and then practice peoples houses?

They saw my point of view and pointed out that never can a person perform an inspection without a licensed person on site.

Does that clear up the confusion?

Every single one of my employees has to do a year apprenticeship before I will even let them take the test underneath to work underneath me

Interesting. Seeing as 61-30 states things as “The inspector shall” this or “The inspector shall” that. I wouldn’t consider unlicensed employees as “The inspector”.

But what about this, also in 61-30.

(o) Section
455.227(1)(j), F.S.

Aiding, assisting, procuring, employing or advising an unlicensed person or entity to practice profession contrary to Chapter 468, Part XV, or 455, F.S., or rules of the department.

Chapter 468 is here
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0400-0499/0468/0468PartXVContentsIndex.html&StatuteYear=2013&Title=->2013->Chapter%20468->Part%20XV

Thanks for answering Russell, Did DBPR point to any specific clauses or rules that allow “unlicensed team” style inspection or make them to their heads away from it?

Why wouldn’t everyone be doing this if it’s allowed? It sounds like the way to go (If it is legal)

For a small place (up to 1800 sq ft)
5 people @ $15 an hour for 2 hours = $150
1 licensed guy @ $30 hr for 2 hours = $60

I’m just guessing at the hourly rates above obviously and let’s say the company charges $350 for said house. After the above inspection, that’s $140 profit for the business owner.

It sounds like a real good idea on paper.

Thanks,
Carl

Too add, it was never a past client that called DBPR. Just other inspectors in my area.

I was recently reported to the DPOR. I highly suspect it was another inspector. We were of course found to be compliant with state regs. Its annoying.

What are the 6 of you going to do for the other hour and a half that you are there?

Lol…Carl. It’s not that easy at all…tools, vehicles, insurance, workmans comp, taxes, unemployment, accountants, shop, people calling in sick, people quitting. Scheduling…that’s just the easy studf

Its my a s s that pays the final price if such happens.
I put my license on the line when I have subs do framing or whatever. So! As an inspector if I have field reps doing my foot work …So ! much the better.
It is the final product that will be adjudicated. Not who did the fieldwork.
In the construction industry you have to take calculated risks. You won’t make it.

Drink coffee and eat lunch? :slight_smile: I thought 2 hours with 6 people was a generous amount of time in my example house size.

-Carl

In the scope of a General Contractor, that is allowed though according to his license. Of course the GC isn’t going to build the whole house themselves.

I think it’s pretty much assumed the “home inspector” is is going to be inspecting your house.

Like I said, it sounds like a good idea on paper, not sure I like the idea of putting my HI License on the line depending on a handful of unlicensed employees. 1 disgruntled employee could purposely “miss” things in their area (or however they do it) and cause your report to be not accurate.

On that note.

If the team’s Licensed HI has to verify everything the team does, sort of defeats the purpose of the team idea then, does it not?

Thanks,
Carl

Then be a one man operation forever.
I’m on it.
The problem comes into play is they can’t seem to do the reports.
I’d much rather do the inspect as opposed to doing the final report.

I’m a licensed GC. None of my employees are.

My original question was wondering how 5 or 6 State Licensed Inspectors were able to do that and make money basically.

I’m still curious about how that can be done with unlicensed guys and remain within the limits of the law as I read it.

Like specifically, how are they getting around this (which I posted before )
**(o) Section
455.227(1)(j), F.S.

Aiding, assisting, procuring, employing or advising an unlicensed person or entity to practice profession contrary to Chapter 468, Part XV, or 455, F.S., or rules of the department.

Comparing GCs to HIs is like comparing apples to oranges as far as I know.

Here in FL (and maybe elsewhere), I was told, GC is an open book(s) test and if you can grok it and pass and know where to find the answers, they may have never lifted a hammer or tuned a screw or built a home in their life.

Nick,

Do Home Inspectors need to be licensed in your state? I know some states don’t require it.

Thanks,
-Carl