Inspector licensing board poll 2

Should Florida develop a home inspector licensing board.

Seriously!?

Seriously?

Im not sure I get it.

It would appear that my attempt to illustrate the absurdity as well as the lack of value from a “weighted poll” was unsuccessful. I don’t know what is more disturbing to me, my failure to successfully illustrate the absurdity - or…

Steven, I would say that the way you authored this poll is accurate. Thank you.

Or even more accurately:

*"No- leave home inspector licensing and regulation to a non biased DBPR that already approved everything InterNACHI applied for http://www.nachi.org/florida-approved-education-provider.htm "
“Yes- Allow convicted contractor, realtor, insurance industry felons and a representative of a mini, fake association with only 14 members, no approved education and no member benefits to control the licensing board.”

Ok, if we do not have a board, and we have other orgs and people running around trying to box us in how do we fight it.

We have contractors trying to skirt our rules.
We will have Realtors making comments and pleas about our rules.
We have insurance companies/wce’s that want us out of the insurance inspection game.

HOW do we combat it? Do we wait until each item comes up every year and see if we can gather forces to make a stand?

I would like a better idea, than sit on my hands while the Indians circle the wagons and take shots at us.

I think that was a “shot”…at whom, I don’t know! :mrgreen:

I agree with Nick, Nachi does not bring in more inspectors. I would think that they have decided to be inspector before they become a Nachi member.

I would like to know how to bring it all together and protect the future of the profession in Florida.

Now that is the case, but when licensing started it was not the case. Everyone who ever thought about becoming an inspector joined NACHI because of the sham of a “test” to get grandfathered in.

I personally know of people who got their license and are state licensed inspectors and never completed a single inspection, through Nicks ways of “fighting for the profession”. Was that right or fair? If you think it’s fair on the next house you buy, can I pick the “licensed” inspector NACHI qualified through their testing, for you?

John, that is the valid question that we are all seeking the answer. I just don’t believe that the board model is the answer. Listen to the “old timers” who can provide some historical perspective. They may not be right on all the issues- but they can provide valuable history.

I believe that the answer is here somewhere. We have all this talent and ideas that can come together here to discuss the issues (sometimes even professionally). My point of this 2nd poll was to show that one can point the crowd in the direction that you want them to go by framing the questions in a given manner.

From your previous post:

"Ok, if we do not have a board, and we have other orgs and people running around trying to box us in how do we fight it. "

I don’t know. but how will having a board solve it?

"We have contractors trying to skirt our rules.
We will have Realtors making comments and pleas about our rules.
We have insurance companies/wce’s that want us out of the insurance inspection game.
"

All true. But how will having a board solve this? Here is something to consider: Just because the CILB or some other board that has no jurisdiction over home inspector licensing issues an opinion or declaratory statement that favors their licensees, that opinion may still be in conflict with and a violation of the home inspector licensing law.

"*HOW do we combat it? Do we wait until each item comes up every year and see if we can gather forces to make a stand?

I would like a better idea, than sit on my hands while the Indians circle the wagons and take shots at us. * "

I would like to think that all professional home inspectors want to same things. We just have different ideas on how to get there. Let’s keep the dialogue open and professional. Hopefully, we will find the answers.

Steve you did not answer the question, how do we solve those problems?

DBPR admits they know little about our profession.
Right now when the DBPR has a question about inspections, they go to a private company for answers as they have in the past. Some of those people do not have our best interest in mind. Without a board you may be judged by a group that does not understand our profession.

They can go to the CILB, FAR or the insurance industry. Do they have our best interest in mind?

If a board will not work, what will? Do we do nothing and fight every time we hear something come up? Doing nothing is the worst thing we can do. If we do something and it is not good we fix it.

Russ, I can agree with you to some extent, but licensing is done. The “new” guys want to keep it and it is more difficult after the grandfathering ends.

And yes you can pick the next inspector for my next purchase:p

All that being said I know GCs that should not have received their license either some of them right here. It happens in many professions. Licensing does not solve anything.

Our next challenge who is going to direct us in the future?

Are these boards paid positions…or volunteer

John,
I never said I had the answers. I thought that we were in the process of seeking answers and solutions.

The reality is - for every argument you make against DBPR, I can make an argument against a board.

For example: you said: "DBPR admits they know little about our profession.
Right now when the DBPR has a question about inspections, they go to a private company for answers as they have in the past. Some of those people do not have our best interest in mind. Without a board you may be judged by a group that does not understand our profession
."

That may be true- but- what makes you think a “board” would have our best interests in mind- especially if that board has a contractor, realtor, and insurance industry rep on it? To carry it further, what if the board was made up of a NACHI member who was also a contractor, an ASHI member who was also a contractor, a FABI member who was also a contractor, and a NAHI member who was also a contractor? We should take it on faith that those individuals will have the professional home inspector’s interest in mind? Even with a board, we may be judged by a group that does not understand our profession.

I am seeking the answers that our best for our profession- Just like you.

Steven,
What criteria would have to be met before you would accept a Home Inspectors board.

I personally like it to be 10yr minimum Home Inspector.

We need more seniority members to speak up.

I would never be so presumptuous to assume that what I would accept would have any bearing on the formation of a board - or not. However, my opinion would be that I would not want any special interests serving on the board (realtors, insurance industry reps, contractors, etc.). If the board wanted opinions or positions from realtors, insurance industry reps, or contractors, they could just ask them- rather than giving them a seat at the table. I would also have concerns about having home inspectors that hold other licenses serving on the board. Especially the scenario where the board members are all contractors/inspectors. That scenario would open the possibility of undue influence from the contractor faction of home inspectors. So, right now, my opinion would be that if we went the board route, I would prefer that it be made up of professional home inspectors only. Of course, I am listening to other ideas and would like to remain open minded.

The present board members are all volunteer. They get no money for travel, food or any of the expenses they put out.

So if the board is comprised of ONLY “Home Inspectors” does that mean that they cannot have ANY OTHER license? What if the inspector also has a Mold Assessors license? Pest inspectors license? Radon measurement technicians license?

What license is approved and not “approved”? Who decides?