Insulating Gloves

I’ve found a few old threads on this topic, but none that answered my question, so hopefully someone can offer some advice.

It seems some inspectors wear them, some don’t. Anyhow, if one was to wear them, what class of these insulating gloves should we buy/would be adequate?
Class 00 for up to 500 volts AC
Class 0 for up to 1000 volts AC
Class 1 for up to 7,500 volts AC

And the list goes on.

I guess, what kind of voltage could be present at a main service panel?

Thanks a lot! Any info is appreciated!


I worked for a major utility for 15 years. I agree with you that you should select the rating that would meet/exceed the known voltage for which you may come in contact with.
Also, it is just as important to check the manufacturer’s application guide to be sure they are rated and certified for your intended use. A good glove has different colored layers which makes daily maintenace inspection for any defects or damage much easier to spot. Never use a damaged/defective glove. A good safety practice is to destroy any damaged glove by cutting it in half and preventing inadvertant use.


Ok, my brain was tired…or something! After a little thought, I guess utility companies are required to supply a split-phase 240 volt feed to the house. Therefore, class 00 gloves should be adequate.

With a standard two hot and one neutral coming in as service entrance wires, could voltage exceed 240 somehow?

Thanks for the reply Carl!


Yes absolutely.

Peak to peak voltage is not 240.

It is 340 V L1 to L2.


Do yourself a favor and go purchase NFPA 70E. It will answer your questions.


Ok, Michael and Kevin, thanks for the input and for the link. I guess it’s 240 volts X 1.414 to get the peak to peak voltage of 340? I’m reading about it now. Thanks for helping me out.

By the way, do either of you wear these gloves?


Check out what this electrician wears.
BTW, there is no need for an inspector to ever touch any wiring in the course of an inspection. I personally do not rely on gloves. :slight_smile:

John Kogel

I don not use these but have considered starting to because they give a better grip on the panel cover.

But there really is no reason to come in contact with any of the wire in a panel.

We are doing a visual inspection.

I have been told of cases where the panel case metal is energized. It only takes a few milliamps in the wrong situation to cause a problem.

Which is why I check it first with a non contact voltage tester.

Do you? :roll:

It is the low voltage that stops your heart.

Well, that and frigging snakes in the crawl space.

My non-contact tester starts beeping when I get within 6 inches of any live wires. I thought it was a fairly good one when I bought it. But anyways, the tester starts beeping anywhere near the service panel, so it doesn’t tell me if the panel cover is energized or not. It seems too sensitive, but non-adjustable.

If you decide to get high voltage gloves, you might want to check out Salisbury. Not sure of their site, or where to get them, but I have heard nothing but good reviews on them.


Thanks Jason, yep, those are the ones I had seen actually at a website I found while searching online:

I know it’s just a visual inspection and I shouldn’t be touching anything but I might get some just for taking the panel covers off anyways.

I went over this so many times a year or so back…

If you are going to open dead fronts you need to wear some safety glasses and at the VERY least some NEW DRY leather gloves. I prefer to use 00 rated rubbers under my gloves , but that’s just me.
The biggest threat you face is the possible ARC FLASH if you have some loose crap inside the panel you are opening.:shock::shock::shock::shock:

Be safe…:wink:

Thanks for the advice. I just found the old thread you must have been referring to and had a good read of it.


You are welcome.

Actually it was probably 2 + years ago, but who knows.

Most Hi’s do not use any PPE. I , personally think they are crazy, but then that’s just me…

I worked in a metrology lab for 9 years and tested hi voltage equipment more often than I would have liked. Salisbury is a good brand to go with.

Website is Salisbury.

North was another but is now part of Salisbury.

Those were the two brands I tested the most.

Ok…here are my thouhts ( as if you would like them )

1.) I always recommend protective eyewear when going into a panel.
2.) If you are properly trained on HOW to remove a panel cover and how to check it properly before touching it then I don’t believe gloves are needed because I dont think HI’s need to reach into the panel with their hands…but thats me.

heck…half the electricians I know should probably not be reacing into the panels as well but thats a different story all together.

If your primary work is Home Inspections then I would not worry as much ( not that an ARC FLASH cant happen in a normal residental panel…it can and I have been preaching it for years…) because if you pull the panel cover off straight out an the door closed on it…use it as a shield when pulling away the cover from the panel itself.

I think I showed guys this at some recent HI training seminars…anyway i digress…if you are a commerical inspector and work around larger equipment and higher voltages then invest in the NFPA70E and take it to heart…

As for the stopping the heart…voltage only plays a role in the AMPS…and it only takes roughly 1/10th of an AMP to cause the heart to go into defib and that stops the heart from pumping blood and feeding the brain and thus you black out and die and so on…but enough of that stuff.