Insulation blankets

Note that it says “older water heater.”

Note that, for that cost, one has to get in one’s car, make a trip to the home improvement store, hope that they have the corrent wrap so that one only has to make one trip, stand in the checkout line, sit in traffic, and install it. I value my time at $100 an hour, working or at play, so I could very easily spend $280 in materials and labor to do a good job.

And, as a former property renovator, I also know that most tradespeople add 10-25% to the cost of materials to take into account exactly those items stated above. Then they add labor. So $280 still is well within the cost of hiring qualified/licensed labor to purchase materials and install them.

Depending on how you value your own time, whenever you ask for work to be done that includes material, always ask for quotes that separate materials from labor. Then determine if you can purchase materials at a lower cost than what you have been quoted. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can’t, depending on how you value you time, your own knowledge and expertise, and whether or not you can deal with any unforeseen problems. In many cases, it is easier/better to hire appropriate professionals rather than make a mess and then hire appropriate professionals to clean up your mess.

Picture #1 was Martha Stewart’s house. :slight_smile:

Actually, picture #1 was a converted garage. Unfortunately, the “door” to the water heater must have weighed a few hundred pounds. It took two inspectors and two Realtors to remove the six screws and pry it out of the opening in which it was stuck. My Client buying the property was a little ol’ lady downsizing from a Monster Mansion (are they related to Monster Trucks?) to a quaint home (read, small home at 1,250 SF) to be closer to her grandchildren. I can see her, at 100 lbs trying to remove that thing during an emergency and then trying to get through all the fiberglass insulation, and then through the insulation blanket. Interestingly, the water heater was brand new; I think it was a 2003 inspection.

I knew this would be a lively thread.

Let’s hope grandma doesn’t ever ahve to replace it! Might be a tight fit!

David Macy wins the prize…good advice.

Michigan 31 Ohio St 17…sorry…deduct 20 points from me if you want.

You stayed around long enough to measure it???

If you have an infrared thermometer you can quickly tell if the HW tank needs a blanket or not. If you see the skin 10-20 degrees warmer than the environment then a blanket will do some good. Most times a greater benefit will be found in adequately insulating the HW pipes.

//Rick

If memory serves me correctly my blanket cost $60, of course I installed it myself.

I also have another electric 40 gallon in the tack room and it has a blanket on it as well because the room is kept at 50 degrees.

What is a tack room and why do you need to keep it so cold.

I keep my tacks in my desk drawer. :margarit:

Tack room for storing horse apparels, saddles, briddles that sort of thing.

Why heat it when I am only in their occassionally.

I have occassionally sat on a tack or two and under a(t)tack! :slight_smile:

Ah, that kind of tack. In Utah, Texas, and here in San Diego, we store that kind of stuff in our barns, not too far from where the horses are kept, as a matter of fact.

I did an inspection on a horse farm a couple of years ago for Angelica Huston and John Huston (or the estate thereof).

Interesting input Russel. I recommend them as of yesterday, but now I have to rethink that recommendation. As always thanks for your take on the industry.

The only time I see insulation blankets, is on Electric water heaters.

Never report them missing on any water heater.

My personal view, a waste of time and money. Water heaters have their own insulaters.

So in comparison if you have R12 in the attic the homeowner is losing heat. If the homeowner upgrades the insulation to R30 or R40 do you think the heat loss will be reduced?

I have an insulative blanket on my water heater and I can tell you without it there is a greater heat loss. I have also put my heater on a timer.

Gee I have electric heat in my home so where have I lost money by not having a blanket.
If I heat the basement with my water heater or my base board I still pay the same amount for 8 months or the yaer.
In the summer I might loose a little but basements can use a bit of heat to keep the humidity down in the summer.
When I do a Home Inspection I can not read the size or year on the tank with a blanket.
Roy .

See page 8:

[AboutHomes.info 0535](http://www.abouthomes.info/files/0535 5195.pdf)