Insulation-lack of

Have you guys been noticing how the contractors are trying to screw just about everyone out of as much insulation as possible.

Even cellulose, which is cheap as hell.

I generally find 2-6 inches missing in all new construction.

Like anything else, unless there is someone of authority in the Building Chain of command to babysit them to assure it is properly done, this is usually what happens.
Too, bad, but that is the truth.
Everyone is out there to make a quick buck.

Luckily I work for a General Contractor that uses mostly the same sub-Contractors on the Commercial jobs and is a lot easier to control quality and that is how we are able to negotiate our jobs instead of Bidding.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

What is that, about R-20?

About 50/50 Dale on newer homes haveing the correct insulation. No can lights or B-vents burried?

Hi. Brian;

Up here Cellulose Blown in @ 5" is only an R-factor of 15.65 where a minimum of R-38 is required.

Insulation generally isn’t deep enough to cover anything…:frowning: …lately…:frowning:

You are lucky Marcel…because the whole construction industry has gone all to hell…:twisted:

I agree Dale;

And even with a controlled environment as I do on performance and quality, I am seeing great changes in ethics, attitude, and performance on the outcome of a Project. Can handle it right now, but it is going downhill fast and when I lose control is when I hope I am retired and can leave it alone.
Maybe then I will enjoy full time Home Inspections.

Marcel :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:
</IMG></IMG>

The biggest problem here is the fact nobody working in any trade speaks english, therefore they really don’t have a clue what should be where because they can’t read either looking at plans.

A lot of contractors are using that as an excuse “Well Guido must not of understood”

Their shellac-in everyone thay can…as many times as possible…](*,)

And as you know, not just with missing insulation…EVERYTHING…:shock:

AMEN Dale!!

You guys are starting to sound like grumpy old men.:stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

And whats the problem with that?? Squeaky wheel gets the grease!!!

So what does the greasy wheel get then, angioplasty?
:smiley:

Brian; Pardon my French, but what the hell does that word mean?

Marcel http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_11_52.gif

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb114&pp=ZNfox000

</IMG></IMG></IMG>

[quote=mcyr]
Brian; Pardon my French, but what the hell does that word mean?

Marcel http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_11_52.gif

(http://www.ptca.org/) Marcel.:slight_smile:

Thanks Brian;

I fluncked Biology when I went to High School. ha. ha. I guess if I could not relate it to a 2x4, it just would not sink in, like a footing pin, you know, ha. ha.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

In my case it was un upper GI/Scope and barrets esophagus!!!

Around here the land is to expensive, the cost of materials are to expensive, realtor gets their cut and the builder gets his profit of the backs of the subs who are just trying to earn a living so they go s fast as they can as cheap as they can, in the end the poor person who bought the house gets screwed and the house is back on the market in a year, in 5 years and 3 owners later they call a contractor to come out and fix it. Good job security for the remodeling contractor and a good market for the Home Inspection company who markets to homeowners whose 1 year builders warranty is about to expire

Ain’t that the truth.

That kind of crap is creaping up here slowly, and I don’t like it at all.
But, what the hell are we going to do?

Marcel,

We have to build our own homes (for ourselves anyway) (can’t trust contractors any longer)

It sure makes an interesting day inspecting.

I inspected another new home this morning, no need in posting the insulation picture, its the same as the last, 5 inches, was marked R-38 on the installation letter stapled to the new paint job/wall in the garage …unreal…:twisted:

Those code compliance inspectors do not get real excited about crawling up ladders to make sure the insulation is in “compliance”.
Besides insufficient insulation on new construction, and resales where it was never caught, I have seen four homes that had their Finals signed off with NO attic insulation whatsoever.
I also talked to an agent whose client bought a new home with no inspection and the heating bill was through the roof. He had the HVAC guy out a few times, then the builder, and they couldn’t figure out the problem. Finally someone checked the attic, and it was bare. The builder ended up reimbursing the homeowner for the heating costs, and installing the insulation.
That is OK though, if the compliance inspector did their job, then us home inspectors wouldn’t have hundreds of reasons why a “New Home Inspection” is so important for the buyers. :smiley: