Insurance Agents Requesting Wind Mitigation

Over the past few months. I’ve gotten request for wind mitigations on houses that have no credits on all 7 items.

Example:
Did the home inspection, saw no WM credits and told the buyer that it’s not needed / no benefit.

2 weeks later at closing time, the agents are asking for a wind mitigation even though they know it’s going to be no favorable markings on 1-7 on the form.

I’ve had this happen probably 4 times in the last 3 months.

I’ve been doing the forms since 2008 and have never seen this. Has anyone else had this come up?

It is the only way they know for sure the best rates they can give. They do not care about you un-written opinion “not on a 1802” or that it will cost the client. They only care about making the sale.

Kind of like realtors that tell clients to get a 4 point and wind mit no matter what they just trying to speed their sale along.

Ok.
Thanks Michael.

Have seen this also. So far in my mind it would seem the best way to get an up to date documented visual of the property for their own reasons

Without having to pay as well :frowning:

Yes, and then I ask them why they are going to cost their customer $150.00 for something that will not give them any discount…with the customer on the line.
That usually ends the discussion.

And, since I do a wind mitigation inspection on every property I inspect, if needed I can provide it…with pictures. :wink: I also tell my clients if it doesn’t give them any discounts, ask their agent to refund the fee.

Fortunately, there are very few instances, at least in my area, where there won’t be some discount.

Sounds good to me;-)I’ve done them on brand new homes many times per the agent’s request.
Easier way to sell the wind mitigation.

The 2003 - 05 houses with no shutters or impact glass that are inland. Makes sense.
Takes the guess work out of the double paned windows that seem like they may be impact that the cleaning crew cleaned all the stickers off the frame and they have no etchings:shock:
Internal design pressure houses (I think that is what they are called)

I agree.

Why argue?

Tell your client your opinion and if they insist then do as they ask.

Did another $150 4 point today because the agent or whoever did not bother to tell the guy he would need one when they said he needed a wind mit. Funny thing is I think they like just wanted to know the roof condition and that is how they went about getting it. Would have been cheaper for the client to get a roof condition report and he would not have had the terrible electrical and hotwater heater write up which will screw him for sure now. Soon as I showed him the electrical and hot water heater issues he started getting pissed and kicking his sh-t around :frowning:

He allegedly bought the home from a union electrician and you should have seen the mess, unbelievable. He even claimed he had a home inspection before he bought it but I do not see how he could have as he said no one pointed it out to him. He thought things had to be done correctly to purchase the dump I guess.

Boy just an hour walk and talk with me before purchasing would have saved him years of hassle :frowning:

Why argue?
Because I am not in the habit of charging my clients for something that isn’t going to help them in any way. Greed is the word that comes to mind.

Tell your client your opinion and if they insist then do as they ask.

Did another $150 4 point today because the agent or whoever did not bother to tell the guy he would need one when they said he needed a wind mit. Funny thing is I think they like just wanted to know the roof condition and that is how they went about getting it. Would have been cheaper for the client to get a roof condition report and he would not have had the terrible electrical and hotwater heater write up which will screw him for sure now. Soon as I showed him the electrical and hot water heater issues he started getting pissed and kicking his sh-t around :frowning:

He allegedly bought the home from a union electrician and you should have seen the mess, unbelievable. He even claimed he had a home inspection before he bought it but I do not see how he could have as he said no one pointed it out to him. He thought things had to be done correctly to purchase the dump I guess.

His inspector should have told him he would have needed a 4-point. I never rely on agents, realtors or anyone else to tell “my client” what they need.

Boy just an hour walk and talk with me before purchasing would have saved him years of hassle

Not if he needed to get out of the contract…:wink:

It sounds like this guy got a realtor referred inspector…or the guy just didn’t pay attention.

How old was this house?

Ya know you do not need a written inspection to get out of a contract. A client can do his own inspecting and decide that things are not good enough for him.

A client can walk it with his family of construction and inspection gurus and STATE the reasons he is not buying it. You DO NOT NEED A WRITTEN INSPECTION to bale based on conditions of a home.

It depends on the contract…then of course, there is the return of the deposit…which may not occur without some form of documentation.

As to your statement above, what are they going to do…wrap the house in twine? :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

tehee watching a movie while typing… Goodnight. i’m done for the night.

I doubt it…and again, on a more serious note, what year was the house you were referring to?

Then the inspector he hired should have told him he would need a 4 point. How did he buy the house in the first place? Cash?

Very doubtful and it was min 5 or 6 years ago. He is trying to change insurance companies because his doubled his rates or tripled them. Same ole story a guy about to lose everything because he can no longer afford the insurance that raises crazy high for no reason. Oh except for the OIR does not Regulate the insurance industry.

Another one that I’ve gotten recently is a 2012 or 13 wind mitigation that I did.
The independent agent is switching underwriters for the client at renewal, this month.

They tell me they need the WM updated and a roof cert.

The reroof was permitted in January 2002. And they are asking why they aren’t getting FBC credit. March 2002 is the date for the good di$count.

Maybe the form should say good for 5 years “unless we change our minds”:slight_smile:

It does…you just have to have the special glasses to see it!

I got asked to do a 4-point and wm on a house built in 2012. When I asked why, the agent said because we looked it up on the appraisal site and it says it was built in 1983. I informed her that the house she is referring to was knocked down in 2000. I sent her the permits for demolition as well as the new build and all was well. A little customer service goes a long way sometimes…