IR RADON MOLD July 1, 2010

This may be a little long but I believe it is worth the “read” to get some different views on what is pending in Fl and the HI industry overall. My primary business was buying houses in need of repair, re-habing them ( PROPERLY) then selling or renting them as well as subbing out to GC’s for remodeling and home repair/maintenance. I did home inspections as a service to my existing clients and referrals.

After weeks and months of data mining on the web I firmly believe that the future of our industry is in Infra Red. Not so much for just home inspecting but also for all the potential opportunities that IR offers. I took John McKennas’ course and am ready to buy a camera.

I have decided on a Flir Bcam SD. For about $3000 it provides enough technical muscle to see if this is truly profitable, residential, energy and water et al. My guide will be if it pays for itself in 6mos. If it does, then onto commercial, flat roof etc. Then I will buy the “big guns” in IR 0.05 sensitivity get my BPI rating and work up to IR Level 111. The overall plan is to move from HI into the IR field full time.
Comments on this would be appreciated

In the event that my plunge into IR is not as good as anticipated, is it cost effective to get into either one of these areas with the following laws pending?

This link will take you to a copy of the proposed requirements for mold inspection. Here is a partial quote from the proposed law for the inspecting part of mold
b)1. For a mold assessor, at least a 2-year degree in microbiology, engineering, architecture, industrial hygiene, occupational safety, or a related field of science from an accredited institution and a minimum of 1 year of documented field experience in conducting microbial sampling or investigations; or
2. A high school diploma or the equivalent with a minimum of 4 years of documented field experience in conducting microbial sampling or investigations.
So if you have not been doing mold inspections for at least 4 years, and document it, you will need a 2 year degree in microbiology? I have also read on the web where Florida will have a 1 million dollar liability ins requirement for mold inspectors.


This link
will take you to the FL state requirements to be a radon technician. Here is a partial quote from the law

  • In addition to the above, a measurement specialist applicant shall possess 4 years of relevant radiation or radiological safety professional or work experience. Relevant post-secondary education may be substituted on a year for year basis for 3 of the 4 years of relevant professional or work experience. Relevant post-secondary education includes curriculum in a natural science, engineering, radiation, radiological safety or health physics, mathematics or statistics. An academic year shall be 30 semester hours at a C- grade level or better,*

I do not believe HI’s will be subject to as strict requirements in that a HI looks at a house in a macro (overall) view whereas a mold or radon inspector looks at the house in a micro way similar to an electrician or HVAC guy, more specialized.

As O’Rielly would say “please do not be pithy in your comments”](“”)

Insurance is the key. I know of two HI’s in Florida that have Mold liability with E&O. If you don’t qualify for the insurance you don’t qualify for the license.
With a degree you will have a tough time finding a good mold inspector that will train you in a year. School and experience are very different, collecting samples does not make a mold inspector. Our new guys with years of experience work with an inspector for at least 6 months before we turn them loose.

If you can read you should have no problem being certified for radon as a measurement tech in Florida.

Thanks Doug, that is the way I am thinking as well.