Is something wrong here?

Originally Posted By: ssopha
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/D/DSCN9606.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Image is kinda small to see anything, but thanks for doing it as a link instead of as an inline image. Links work better for everybody.

What specifically are you referring to.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

I am refering to floor joists resting inside I Beam (against the web) not on top like I expected. There is only 2 inches or so of ledge that the joiss are sitting on.

Originally Posted By: ckratzer

S,

I’ve been building and remodeling for a long time and have never seen anything like that.I’m having trouble wrapping my head around why??Look at the trouble they went to to notch the 2x10 joists to fit the web and manage to come up flush with the sill plate height.Thats alot of custom fitting…I wonder if the builder ever considered furniture building.The joists are supposed to bear on top of the “I " beam as you suspect.Joist ends must bear on a minimum of 1-1/2” (IRC somewhere) so even though your joists are bearing on 2" the beam is not being used in the way it was designed to.

And now here is my disclaimer.Considering the home is 30 years old and you didn’t mention any unusual settling ie. cracks in drywall,doors/windows not operating freely, and the floors are level and the roof line is straight .I would simply report it as a non-standard building method.

Just curious? What is the other end of the joist resting on?

Cheremie

Originally Posted By: dedwards

I have seen this or variations of this many times. Normally there will be some kind of wooden blocking in between the floor joists to keep them in place and tie them all together. If the floor joists were put on top of the I beam it would have allowed for more head room below the I beam but would have required a wooden board be bolted / attached to the top of the I beam so you could toenail the floor joists onto it. That would have required a lot more work than doing what they did here. Hope this helps.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/j/joists_1.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/j/joists_2.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: ckratzer

Doug,

Good stuff to know.But I’ll never do it that way considering the time it would take to fit joists verses just pouring or framing higher walls for head room.The latter would win.Thanks for the pics.

Cheremie.

Cheremie

Agree. this looks like it would be like putting together a puzzle. Very labor intensive and time consuming. I never see it on new residential construction.

Doug

Thank you all for the input. I figure nothing to be alarmed about, it had been in service for the past 30years. I found it odd that carpenters spent time notching the joist to fit an obvious mistake made by someone.

Doug, what is the name of the book you took picture from.

Souksana,

It is a Carpentry textbook I bought years ago when I got certified in Carpentry. There are much better ones out there but if you are interested you might be able to find it or similar at a used book store near a college or tech center campus. The book was authored by Leonard Koel , the ISBN 0-8269-0732-6. The exact title is a real tough one…Carpentry (Second Edition).

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Hi. to all;

I have seen this in my younger years and do not think there is anything wrong with it. The common procedure when they did this type of framing is that you would set the joist on the bottom flange and notch the top to clear the top flange. The preferred method would be to through bolt a framing member in the web on both sides, and hang the joist to the beam using joist hangers. Since this was thirty years ago, a ledger strip would have been used. Either way you were still notching, for the top flange or the ledger strip. Most of this type installation, some engineer would design the beam with the proper flange thickness for this bottom support.
Since the floor framing is on both sides of the beam, there is no affect on the beam rotation axis.
Marcel