It takes time, There's only one place to find the education

It’s not yet apparent to many inspectors how what’s called the “Green” movement will actually make them money. This baby is big and rolling toward the top of the hill, but it’s not there yet.

If you pay attention to energy-related legislation in general, you’ll see that although not a lot is mandated yet- politicians like to keep their feet under them- programs are being implemented over a good part of the country which are the precursors to the mandates.

State, county and city governments which are effective and successful like to implement programs and see how well they work, then make changes and try again. When they think they have it down, then they’ll institute mandates, but they get raked over the coals for instituting mandates which blow up in everyone’s faces. Politicians hate it when that happens. In that respect… they’re human.

Many governments (read: constituents) across North America are hesitant to implement programs related to energy conservation because many questions about the science upon which the energy programs are based are still questionable in the minds of both government officials and their constituents.

The price of gasoline is the latest underscore in the price of energy, and as long as world demand for non-renewable energy increases and world supplies decrease, voluntary programs will morph into mandates.

A very sharp website offering neutral, easy-to-understand information and opinions by some top-notch people is http://www.theoildrum.com/

Eventually, mandates will be enacted in most states, and those inspectors who are prepared will do well and make money. It will happen in some places faster than others. InterNACHI is ahead of the curve in developing education and tools which will allow InterNACHI inspectors to make substantial incomes supplying needed services while other inspectors will get that model train set down from the attic and really make it look good.

Hi Kent,

I think it will be a long time before most inspectors are seeing anything approaching “green” buildings, only a small % of new homes are being build to any kind of Green standard in most parts of the country.

Given that most home inspectors are evaluating older homes I think it will be at least 10 years before this stuff has any impact in most markets.

Regards

Gerry

[/size][/FONT]

I agree with Gerry’s assessment. It will be a long time, if ever, that this technology ever really takes off. Currently, it is “feel good” legislation, and green buildng technology has long return on investment. Even with legislative efforts, there is about to be a massive revolt in this country. Folks cant afford to put food on the table, due to a flawed ethanol policy. This is just the tip of the iceberg, IMO. “Green” in many cases, has MONEY behind it; most of that money doesnt get returned to the public. Whenever something is mandated, it often lines the pockets of those politicians who get behind it.

On a final note, and not to pick on straw-bale homes, but I can tell you that one of those wouldnt fly here in NY for a number of reasons, including health concerns. We have made more homes more tighter and more fuel efficient. The results? More mold than we have ever seen before.

Revolt?.. I can see it… V for Vendetta. :mrgreen:

Regarding your comment on “More mold”… ain’t that the truth.

Our methods are creating a mold monsters in high humidity areas and
we don’t know how to stop.

Regarding green buildings… I have never seen one where I live.

I am trying to get hold of a digital camcorder to return to a commercial building I inspected yesterday. Mold, Termites, Moisture. The absolute WORST I haver EVER seen.

I kid you not… It looked as if it had rained in this basement for abiout 10 years. Water was literally dripping from every beam and pipe… and ALL electrical cables, j-boxes, equipment, and electrical panels.

Live termites were falling from the joists. Structural members were like SPONGES one could literally squeeze and water would run out…

Because builders, architects and inspectors were not forced to return to the classroom and relearn /complete the partial training they initially had.

Every builder/handyman/architect/inspector should have at least 2-3 weeks of training on energy efficiency/conservation, building science, “The House-as-a-system”, better building practices (not just to code), indoor air quality and newer building techniques like rainscreens.

http://www.greeningtheheartland.org/images/templategraphics/GTH08specs.gif

http://www.greeningtheheartland.org/index.htm

Anyone (LEEDs or many other certifications and codes) can create standards to build a green building from the ground up (that’s a no brainer) but like some said above, this only represents a very small portion (less then 1%) of the environmental problem caused by EXISTING homes and buildings. There is not enough market for inspectors to get involved here.

EXISTING homes are what matter and there is only one organization (that I know of) that offers any guidance on inspecting existing homes: http://www.moveincertified.com/download/greencertifiedchecklist.pdf (takes a few minutes to open pdf). Existing home market is huge.