It's official

GCC/Teamsters Local 100-M

21-165 East Beaver Creek Road, Richmond Hill, ON., L4B 2N2

1-866-335-0345

bkelly@teamsters100m.com

It is with the greatest pleasure that I am able, at this time, to officially announce that the GCC/IBT Local 100m of Teamsters Canada which are affiliated with the International Brotherhood of Teamsters has entered into discussions with representatives of the Home Inspection industry. Our discussions will pave the way for all Ontario Home Inspectors to enter the ranks of a Union dedicated to the advancement of all inspectors in this Province, Country and North America.

For the first time Home Inspectors will be unified under one banner and will enjoy the benefits of being members of one of the largest Union organizations in North America. No longer will you have to deal with government as individuals or members of small organizations. Now you will have the strength of numbers and that will mean that those who should listen will. Instead of being the victims of the whims of others, you will have an equal vote on the issues that affect your futures. As members of the Teamsters Union you will exercise the same influence on your industry as every other member. The days when decisions were made for you by people you did not know will be at an end. As members of this Union you will have fair, open and equal representation through your vote.

As members of this Union you will be able to access health insurance, accident insurance, paid lobbyists in Ottawa, expert legal representation and many other benefits. Even now discussions for reduced errors and omissions insurance are underway and a universal policy of this type is not an impossibility. The possibilities are limited only by the desires of the membership and that means that the possibilities are unlimited.

Join your fellow inspectors in making history. Join your fellow inspectors in re-creating an industry. Join your fellow inspectors in shaping the future of this industry and your future in it.

Join us;GCC/IBT Local100m Teamsters Canada and The International Brotherhood of Teamsters.

**Yours in solidarity, **

Brendan Kelly
Director of Organizing GCC/IBT Local100m

And how much is all this wonderful stuff going to cost an inspector?

Not nearly what it is worth;

• Officially recognized by the government
  • strength through numbers
  • a voice that will be heard on any issue
  • a government recognized profession
  • ability to have input into the formation of your industry
  • access to health care programme
  • access to paid lobbyists in Ottawa
  • access to reduced business and accident insurance
  • an organization that YOU put together
  • no ‘industry leaders’ telling you what to say, think and do
  • access to top notch legal help
  • ability to help shape the membership requirements of new members after the grandfathering period ( which will become the defacto license for Ontario)
  • special pricing on tools, computers, clothing and anything else your union can negotiate
  • being part of the only organization that all levels of government and other organizations will deal with.
  • the brotherhood of other home inspectors
  • education that actually educates
  • ability to elect or be elected to any office in the organization
  • the possibility of universal E+O insurance for all memebers ( to be negotiated)

Join us and you will see what a great deal your membership is.

ccihi@ripnet.com

Hi bill. Any words of wisdom?

George,

Your answer sounds like what a typical politician would reply, simply answer Tom’s question and people may join…

And how much is all this wonderful stuff going to cost an inspector?

Marcel

I do not think he is at liberty to reveal that at the moment, but be patient it will all come out soon enough. Then we’ll all sit down and see if this is something that’ll benefit us. On my side let’s say I am intrigued.

I agree with Marcel on this.

That answer was nothing more then a lot of hot air.

If the answer should have been either “I don’t know yet”, or “I am not at liberty to discuss that yet”, then that should have been the answer typed.

To ignore the question in order to go into a sales pitch about it, is a tactic that any salesman or politician is very familiar with.

It’s called misdirection, and if that is any indication of what we can expect from the union then I don’t see me ever thinking it is anything more then a money grab by those who are pushing it.

Of course, to address the specifics of George’s hard sell;

And what will this give us? The OAHI is already officially recognized.

Strength for what? And whom is this ‘strength’ going to be guided by?

We already have more of a voice to be heard, in fact, some might even say we are in the age where everyone connected to the net has their own voice.

That implies the government doesn’t recognize the profession now… see the aforementioned comment about OAHI.

Really? What input has been asked for from the members of this site? All I saw was us being told what was happening and being told to wait to see what it would do for us. How is that having any input?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA That’s some funny stuff there George… are you sure you live in Canada???

Gee, just what I always wanted… to help pay people to sit in Ottawa and wine and dine the politicians…

Really? Give me some examples on this? Which insurance companies have said they would do this?

No George, it’s an organization that I was told was being built for me and that I should be patient to see what they decide for me…

Just union leaders???

I have that access now thanks

• ability to help shape the membership requirements of new members after the grandfathering period ( which will become the defacto license for Ontario)
    What does this even mean? What is the grandfathering period, how long is it, and explain the (which will become the defacto license for Ontario).

• special pricing on tools, computers, clothing and anything else your union can negotiate
    Sounds like an empty promise… which companies have been approached and showed interest in offering discounts to this so far non existent union?

• being part of the only organization that all levels of government and other organizations will deal with.
    Really? That’s quite an amazing statement. So you are saying that if this union goes ahead, then it will be the only way I can deal with all the levels of government? Will they blacklist me when I refuse to join? Will the government stop acknowledging that I exist?

See the end of this reply for this one…

So now the union is also going to be a school? Also, see the end again…

Now I like this one… How’s that for a bonus… if we pay them, they will give us the chance to be one of them.

• the possibility of universal E+O insurance for all memebers ( to be negotiated)
    another empty promise… Which insurance companies have you been talking to and just what has been discussed, and why would a non-union member be blocked from it?

Pretty much all of these so called benefits are already being provided by NACHI. Some of them aren’t yet available here in Canada, but that improves each and everyday.

If I had to choose between spending my money with NACHI, or spending it with a union, I would choose NACHI every time.

I also would hope that somebody here at NACHI takes note that you don’t believe the education they provide is really educating, or that the brotherhood of NACHI doesn’t mean anything compared to a union one, or that all the time they spent working to provide us with the benefits your union may or may not offer means nothing.

To sum this up… I paid NACHI their membership fee without complaint, precisely because what they offer for it in REAL terms, (as opposed to what MAY be offered by the union) is quite amazing for the cost.

I guess ,we could compare what those so-called benefits the union MAY provide and the cost they charge for this to what we already have.

Oh wait, no we can’t, because instead of giving real answers, you only give sales pitches…

So I get the feeling that you won’t be joining Tom? :smiley:

It always amazes me when someone asks a question, and then provides their own answer/statement to it…or more appropriately, the answer/statement that they wish others to see and believe, in the absense of facts (verified or not)…I’m my opinion, THAT is the true definition of misdirection…and sarcasm only suggests anger…although I’m not sure why something that’s new or different would cause anger, or cause anyone to be hostile before learing all there is to know. Interesting.

Tom, you’re such an angry man! I usually ignore persons with an attitude but I will do my best to answer your questions below in red. However, as Gerry said, I am not free to answer all questions, but will do the best I can within these limitations.

Of course, to address the specifics of George’s hard sell;

And what will this give us? The OAHI is already officially recognized. THE OAHI IS NOT RECOGNIZED BY GOVERNMENT. ONLY THE RIGHT TO USE AND AWARD THE COVETED R.H.I. HAS BEEN GRANTED.

Strength for what? And whom is this ‘strength’ going to be guided by? STRENGTH TO DEAL WITH OTHER ORGANIZATIONS SUCH AS OREA INSTEAD OF GETTING INTO BED WITH THEM. THIS STRENGTH WILL BE GUIDED AND USED BY YOU ( FORGOT YOU AREN’T JOINING:D) BY THE MEMBERSHIP WITH AN EQUAL VOTE. NO ELITES. NO SELF APPOINTED ‘INDUSTRY LEADERS’ TO TELL THE MEMBERSHIP WHAT TO DO AND WHAT TO THINK.

We already have more of a voice to be heard, in fact, some might even say we are in the age where everyone connected to the net has their own voice. COULDN’T AGREE MORE. TOO MANY LITTLE VOICES ALL SCREAMING AT EACH OTHER. IT IS TIME THAT THE INDUSTRY UNITED AND ENJOYED A UNIFIED VOICE. A VOICE THAT REFLECTS THE DESIRES OF THE MEMBERSHIP NOT THE DECISIONS OF THE SELF APPOINTED ‘INDUSTRY LEADERS’.

That implies the government doesn’t recognize the profession now… see the aforementioned comment about OAHI. SEE THE AFOREMENTIONED REMARK. AND LET’S BE HONEST. THE OAHI HAS IT’S OWN PROBLEMS AND IS IN NO POSITION, WITH IT’S SHRINKING MEMBERSHIP TO CLAIM REPRESENTATION OF ANYONE.

Really? What input has been asked for from the members of this site? All I saw was us being told what was happening and being told to wait to see what it would do for us. How is that having any input? WELL AS A MEMBER OF THE OAHI YOU SHOULD BE USED TO THAT SORT OF THING RIGHT TOM? SERIOUSLY, THE TIME FOR INPUT WILL BE COMING TO INSPECTORS WHO JOIN THE UNION. AT THAT TIME ALL MEMBERS WILL HAVE A VOICE. IT IS A PRETTY DEMOCRATIC SYSTEM - ONE MAN / ONE VOTE. TOO BAD YOU AREN’T GOING TO JOIN TOM. THE UNION NEEDS ALL POINTS OF VIEW TO HELP FORMULATE POLICY AND ACTION. HOPE YOU WILL RE-CONSIDER.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA That’s some funny stuff there George… are you sure you live in Canada??? EVER HEAR OF HEALTH INSURANCE TOM? IT ISN’T A NEW CONCEPT.

Gee, just what I always wanted… to help pay people to sit in Ottawa and wine and dine the politicians… I WOULD GUESS THAT THIS IS ONE REASON FOR YOUR SUCCESSES WITH GOVERNMENT SO FAR.

Really? Give me some examples on this? Which insurance companies have said they would do this? SORRY TOM I CAN’T TELL YOU THIS AS NEGOTIATIONS ARE UNDERWAY.

No George, it’s an organization that I was told was being built for me and that I should be patient to see what they decide for me… TOM YOU ARE WELCOME AS ARE ANY OTHER MEMBERS TO BECOME INVOLVED IN THE UNION IN ANY CAPACITY YOU WISH. IF YOU WANTED TO BECOME INVOLVED IN SETTING UP THE BASIC STRUCTURE WE COULD HAVE USED THE HELP. BUT THE NICE THING ABOUT A UNION IS THAT IF THE MEMBERSHIP DOES NOT LIKE AN ISSUE, A RULE, A REGULATION OR A DIRECTION THEY ARE FREE TO BRING IT UP FOR A VOTE BEFORE THE GENERAL MEMBERSHIP. IN FACT ONCE THE SYSTEMS ARE IN PLACE AND RUNNING THE INTERIM BOARD OF GOVERNORS WILL STEP DOWN AND THE MEMBERSHIP CAN VOTE IN ANYONE THEY PLEASE . . . EVEN YOU! THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS IS SETTING UP THE ADMINISTRATION AND INITIAL RULES AND REGULATIONS. AFTER THAT IT IS THE MEMBERSHIP THAT WILL DECIDE THROUGH THE DEMOCRATIC PROCESS AND THAT IS SOMETHING THAT NONE OF THE OTHER ORGANIZATIONS CAN CLAIM. AT LEAST NOT WITH A STRAIGHT FACE !:smiley:

Just union leaders??? SEE REMARKS ABOVE ABOUT DEMOCRACY.

I have that access now thanks **GREAT! NOT ALL INSPECTORS ARE SO LUCKY AND NOT ALL HAVE NEEDED IT. BUT I AM WILLING TO BET THAT YOUR LAWYER IS NOT SKILLED IN DEALING WITH OTHER ORGANIZATIONS, OR GOVERNMENTS and certainly does not represent an organization tens of thousands strong ( the Teamsters are a very big organization Tom). **

What does this even mean? What is the grandfathering period, how long is it, and explain the (which will become the defacto license for Ontario). SORRY TOM I AM NOT FREE TO DISCUSS THIS AT THIS TIME EXCEPT TO SAY THAT WHEN THE UNIONIZED MEMBERSHIP DEFINES THE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR INSPECTORS AFTER THE GRANDFATHERING PERIOD, THOSE REQUIREMENTS WILL BECOME THE RECOGNIZED LICENSING REQUIREMENT ( IT IS THAT ‘STRENGTH THROUGH NUMBERS’ THING AGAIN). OR DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT GOVERNMENT OR ANY OTHER LARGE ORGANIZATION WILL WANT TO DEAL WITH ONE OF THE SMALLER QUARRELSOME PRIVATE ORGANIZATIONS OVER THE UNIONIZED WORK FORCE?

Sounds like an empty promise… which companies have been approached and showed interest in offering discounts to this so far non existent union? **TOM, I’LL BET THAT YOU WERE THE TYPE OF KID WHO LOOKED ALL OVER THE HOUSE TO FIND HIS CHRISTMAS PRESENTS BEFORE THE BIG DAY! **

Really? That’s quite an amazing statement. So you are saying that if this union goes ahead, then it will be the only way I can deal with all the levels of government? Will they blacklist me when I refuse to join? Will the government stop acknowledging that I exist? **TURN OFF THE INVECTIVE TAP FOR A MINUTE TOM. IF YOU THINK THIS THROUGH YOU HAVE TO ASK YOURSELF A QUESTION; " WHEN THE GOVERNMENT, AT ANY LEVEL, NEEDS TO DEAL WITH THE HOME INSPECTION INDUSTRY WHO WILL THEY GO TO? ONE OF A BUNCH OF QUARRELING LITTLE PRIVATE GROUPS OR THE VERY UNIONIZED WORK FORCE THAT THEY THEMSELVES HAVE RECOGNIZED?" THE ANSWER SHOULD BE CLEAR. **

See the end of this reply for this one… HUH?

So now the union is also going to be a school? Also, see the end again… TOM YOUR ABILITY AT CONCLUSION JUMPING IS ASTOUNDING. YOU SHOULD CHECK TO SEE IF IT IS, OR EVER WILL BE AN OLYMPIC EVENT!:smiley: THE UNION WILL BE A GOOD DEAL BETTER AT VETTING EDUCATION AND TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES THAN ANY OF THE PRIVATE ORGANIZATIONS HAVE BEEN. YOU CAN COUNT ON THE FACT THAT THE MEMBERSHIP WILL NOT STAND FOR THE CURRENT SITUATION WHERE ‘INDUSTRY LEADERS’ RECOMMEND COURSES AND THEN PROVIDE THEM WHILE MAKING A PRETTY GOOD DOLLAR. AGAIN, SEE REMARKS ON DEMOCRACY.

Now I like this one… How’s that for a bonus… if we pay them, they will give us the chance to be one of them. I KNOW THAT THIS IS QUITE A CHANGE FROM THE USUAL SITUATION IN ONTARIO WHERE YOU GET TO PAY AND PAY AND PAY AND NEVER BECOME ONE OF ‘THEM’. BUT THE REALITY IS THAT YOUR UNION DUES WILL ENTITLE YOU TO ONE VOTE ON ANY ISSUE THAT IS BROUGHT BEFORE THE MEMBERSHIP. IF THAT ISSUE IS YOUR CANDIDACY FOR AN OFFICE, THEN GOOD FOR YOU! UNION MEMBERS WILL CREATE THEIR OWN ‘INDUSTRY LEADERS’ BY VOTING FOR THEM. NOBODY HAS INHERITED THIS RIGHT.

another empty promise… Which insurance companies have you been talking to and just what has been discussed, and why would a non-union member be blocked from it? TOM. WHAT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND ABOUT THE WORD ‘POSSIBILITY’? DO YOU SEE THAT THE WORD ‘PROMISE’ HAS AT LEAST FOUR FEWER LETTERS? ( WELL IT IS A START ANYWAY) I AM NOT AT LIBERTY TO DISCUSS THIS ISSUE FURTHER AS I DO NOT WANT TO PLACE ANY NEGOTIATIONS IN JEOPARDY.

Pretty much all of these so called benefits are already being provided by NACHI. Some of them aren’t yet available here in Canada, but that improves each and everyday. AS YOU AND YOU OAHI FRIENDS HAVE POINTED OUT TIME AND AGAIN ( FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT KNOW, TOM IS PROBABLY AN OLD TIME, FOUNDING FATHER OF THE OAHI. EXPLAINS A LOT DOESN’T IT;)) NACHI IS AN AMERICAN ORGANIZATION AND IS NOT RECOGNIZED BY CANADIAN GOVERNMENTS AT ANY LEVEL. THE UNION WILL BE.

If I had to choose between spending my money with NACHI, or spending it with a union, I would choose NACHI every time. THE C.C.I.H.I. ENCOURAGES EVERY INSPECTOR TO MAINTAIN THEIR MEMBERSHIP IN WHAT EVER ORGANIZATION THEY WISH. ON A PERSONAL NOTE, I TOO WILL REMAIN A MEMBER OF INACHI. BUT RECOGNIZE TOO, THAT EVEN NICK IS SUPPORTIVE OF THE UNION AND HAS STATED SO ON THIS BOARD. ONE DOES NOT REPLACE THE OTHER.

I also would hope that somebody here at NACHI takes note that you don’t believe the education they provide is really educating, or that the brotherhood of NACHI doesn’t mean anything compared to a union one, or that all the time they spent working to provide us with the benefits your union may or may not offer means nothing. I THINK YOU SET A NEW RECORD IN THE CONCLUSION JUMPING EVENT. CONGRATULATIONS!

To sum this up… I paid NACHI their membership fee without complaint, precisely because what they offer for it in REAL terms, (as opposed to what MAY be offered by the union) is quite amazing for the cost.

I guess ,we could compare what those so-called benefits the union MAY provide and the cost they charge for this to what we already have.

Oh wait, no we can’t, because instead of giving real answers, you only give sales pitches… THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN THE UNION PLEASE SEND FURTHER QUESTIONS TO US AT;

ccihi@ripnet.com

Well then, I think that just about covers it! Thank you George for clearing things up!

That cleared up very little, in fact, it added more fallacies to the thread.

First off, the only organization I am a member of, is nachi, I have not pursued, and will not be pursuing membership in either other ‘associations’ or unions. So, all your snide remarks to the contrary are baseless and wrong.

As for my ability to jump to conclusions George, thats what happens when you provide weak answers to questions people ask. I asked you one simple question and across two posts, and a whole bunch of typing, you have still not answered it.

Even your line by line answers did little more then say what you already have, which is be patient, we will let you know what we want you to, when we feel like it. Perhaps it isn’t coming from you, perhaps that is what you are getting when you ask these questions to those who are in charge. If that is so, why would you accept them as answers, and better yet, why would you pass them on?

The simple fact is that the union will come, just as licensing will, and it will do just as unions have done in every other industry they have become involved in. Seniority will allow incompetence to grow as the prices go up.

There was a place for unions, years ago when there were no government controls on minimum wages and safety. These days, all they do is contribute in a large way to the increasing cost of living to the benefit of those who are members, to the detriment of everyone else.

Unions have caused wages to skyrocket in industries they are involved in, leaving non-unionized workers to bear the brunt of the labor.

You want to offer up something that would impress me about the union? Make it so that joining the union is just as simple as it being a membership benefit provided by the various associations. Something that isn’t going to cause more of a drain on the pocket book of inspectors which is just going to cause a rise in the customers costs. Something that is totally optional.

To be very clear about that, it is not optional when the union attempts to make non-union members out to be less professional or less qualified in order to encourage more people to use the unionized members.

All your references to me personally amaze me by the way… For someone who claim others are jumping to conclusions, you sure did a lot of jumping there.

WOW! TOM! What a tirade! I was actually worried about your health there for a while!

Please understand two things;

1 - Organizing something this big involves a lot of people and a lot of negotiations. All of those involved in the process have asked that they not be named until negotiations are complete and the entire package is ready for presentation to the public. I realize that you have an ‘Inquiring mind’ but you must realize that circumstances prevent revelation of privileged information.

2 - It is obvious that you are a very passionate man and are very concerned with the future of the industry. But you must understand that every inspector is equally valuable and none are more privileged than any other. To reveal information to you simply because you can make intemperate remarks on the INTERNET would insult every one of the many inspectors who have Emailed us and asked for information. As they have been told, there will be an E-news letter coming out in the near future as this project matures. Should you want to receive it please reply to the Email address below and when we are able to make an announcement you will be informed at the same time as your brother inspectors. You see Tom, in this organization all inspectors are valued equally.

On a personal note Tom, I am sorry that the prospect of a new vision for this industry has upset you so. Fortunately for our mental state, the vast majority of replies we have received are diametrically opposed to yours. That being said, I hope that you can put your anger aside long enough to await the official launch of the CONFERENCE OF COMMERCIAL AND INDEPENDENT HOME INSPECTORS. Maybe you will be able to see the positive of this union for home inspectors and join us. Dissenting opinions like yours will only make us stronger and you will never be thrown out of this organization for expressing them.

ANY INTERESTED INSPECTORS ARE INVITED TO SEND US AN EMAIL AT;

ccihi@ripnet.com

And still no answers…

From the Teamsters website;

The question is, how does this apply to the HI industry? I’ve seen fees bouncing from around $200 to over a thousand, for inspections ranging from a few hours to two days.

How does that translate to hour wages?

Are we talking about $25 a month, $125… more???

What do we get for it?

Yet another organization making rules and requirements that of course cost more money to decide upon and enforce.

Let’s look at the other side of this.

A person goes out and starts a business and puts their blood, sweat and tears into building it up and making it successful. Even though they follow all the laws regarding safety and minimum wages, one day the people who have CHOSEN to work there, decide that they should get paid more (in wages and benefits), and if they don’t get it, they are going to get their buddies together and destroy that business, leaving nobody with the opportunity to choose to work there.

Now, I realize this doesn’t readily translate into this industry, but it is that scenario that makes me believe that unions have no place these days in our society.

Does it matter if they use lawyers or baseball bats to get their way? Either way, the effect is still the same. Intimidation to get their own way.

What about the guy who put everything he had into building that business? Providing jobs for people. Providing products or services to the public. Now, he is out of business, or paying so much in wages and benefits that he soon will be.

Look at a bigger scale picture… The big auto companies are literally paying out so much in terms of benefits and wages that they are collapsing from the top down. (and yes, mismanagement also comes into play here). For every auto worker there is making top union dollar, there are ten people who would do the job for 1/4 of the pay, just to put food on their families table. Of course, the fact that the unions have negotiated pay and benefits so high and the industry is so big, that the cost of living follows along and continues to grow, leaving those who aren’t in a union to starve.

Now, here’s the big problem… to make it so one group is not being hammered in order to support another, everyone needs to be part of the same group. Of course, if this were to happen, then there would be nobody to elevate the group above. So, by the very nature of what a union is, it must promote itself and it’s members above non-members. Which blows ANY statement about being open to all or to not being discriminatory right out of the water.

Of course, what do I know, I’m just an angry newbie with an inferiority complex…

On a side note, when I hit POST, it took me to a screen that said the link was broken, yet posted anyway…

Ahhh, the siren song of the trade unionist.

I hope you enjoy supporting the union bosses and organizers.

I just don’t get it.:roll::roll:

(: (:

(: ha! ha!