Jet tub on second floor

I agree! One of those “step above” SOP choices you have to make. I may or may not take my chance and let my client know either way. But I still feel the client would want to know if the jetted tub in their $750K purchase worked before they tried to use it.

3 Likes

Unless I see a reason not to, I run and test the hydro tubs on second floors. If the hydro tub hasn’t been run in several presidencies or has other visible problems, that’s different and should be written up anyway. Look at it this way, if you don’t test it or give your customer some direction, they’re going to use it and then try to understand why a basic feature of the home wasn’t tested. I don’t want to be in a position where I’ve damaged anyone’s property by use of normal controls, but I don’t think I’m doing a good job for my customer about some narrative that was placed in their report about my company policy of not testing tubs by their normal controls due to risk of leak etc.

There’s risk to so much of what we all do, both in terms of damage while testing or inspecting but also our personal safety. Manage risk and engage in good repeatable practices.

4 Likes

Well put.

Good to see you back posting again Tim, I hope all is well with you & yours. :+1:

1 Like

Doing great! Hope you’re doing the same Kevin!

Living the dream!! :smiley:

Well as a home Inspector we are there to find and discover problems right???

How it is the inspectors fault if there is a loose hose, broken pipe etc.

This is something the homeowner knew about. They did not repair the problem and they should have noted it when placing the inspection. or at least fix it prior to the inspection if they knew it was a problem.

they should have turned the water lines off to the tub at least. Its not your fault…

Did you examine the underside of the tub before running the water?
Always inspect under a jetted tub prior to running any water.
and never run the jets…
\turn them on dry to verify the pump works. but not with water.

Most jetted tubs around here do not have readily operable access points to view under them.

I personally don’t fill them enough to circulate water but I do turn the pump on briefly to verify that it works.

1 Like

That’s all I do too. There’s no need to fill a tub up and cycle the water.

2 Likes

So no harm to the motor with no water? I was always under the impression that all water pumps should be primed prior to operation. I guess just a short cycle to see if it turns on? Does that make it pump worthy? Just gaining education…thanks! :wink:

5 Likes

I read everyone’s comments and wondering if you should just test as if it were a regular tub. That is, turn on the taps to check for flow and check for drainage. If you know ahead of time that the house comes with a spa tub, inform the client that this forms part of an exhaustive inspection and a plumber should be present. Does that make sense?

Thomas turning on a pump for a second is not going to harm the pump. It will verify operation of the pump at the time of inspection.

1 Like

It will verify that the pump made noise. I don’t think I would want to check mark it as “inspected and operational” in my report.

3 Likes

@gdarwent I think Martin had the best disclaimer if you are uncomfortable running the jets with a full tub. At the minimum, our SOP requires we turn on the faucets and observe the tub drainage.

1 Like

If you turn on/off quickly fine, but if there is a pump, line leak you will not know.
Someone stated be sure to confirm the motor/pump is on an operable GFCI circuit. Very important to also check it has been electrically bonded.
Most times you can’t determine that unless there’s an accessible hatch/door to open & check.

1 Like

I would like clarity on the bonding. I understand it makes a difference if the pipe is copper or plastic. Do you have further insight on this matter?

All of the owner’s manuals that I have read, say NOT to turn on pump until the water is above the jets. So, I never did.

But, I will defer to our resident plumber:

3 Likes

Yes it made a pump noise. The only noise a pump can possibly make. If there is no noise it is a non-operational pump.

So, playing devils advocate here, if there is noise, it is an operational pump?

It’s just for a second Larry. I operate a dish washer and cloths washer the same way. I don’t run a full cycle. I just verify operation.

2 Likes

I would say we are hedging bets. Risk for reward. If it powers on and makes a typical spinning up pump motor sound, both faucets fill and the tub drains…then we are more than half way home.

3 Likes