Jet tub on second floor

Agreed.
And frankly, stating you don’t test bathtubs because they might leak is a weak excuse. I test them no matter which floor they are installed, unless there is a disclosed (or discovered) issue that prevents it.

I have found plenty of hydro-tubs that leak only when they are filled above the jets, or operating (turned “On”).

Some that only leak while operating, but don’t leak when “Off”.
And some that make “noise” but don’t pump water, etc.

It’s often visible at the access or maintenance hatch (if present, and yes there are many that don’t have the required access).

Recent find:

tub leak1

tub leak

1 Like

Twice a week when I bring my dirty dishes & clothes with me!

3 Likes

Not a full cycle but a partial cycle for dishwashers (normally 10 to 15 minutes), mainly to check for door leaks and drain pump, and washing machines through an abbreviated cycle to check for proper agitation, pump and spin operation, and as with everything I test or inspect, of course it depends on the conditions viewed as I have the discretion to test or not to test.

On another note, it is my company policy to be in the room while any water is running or any machine is being operated.

I am surprised, too, Christopher.

To each their own, I guess.

1 Like

Agree, I think it’s part of our job to 1.) operate by normal controls 2.) note reason or defect for not being able to :wink:

1 Like

not all tub drains are inaccessible, first floor tubs with a crawlspace or unfinished basement have accessible drains. doing the crawl space inspection last, will reveal any leaks from running all the drains , and water in the house. dont do crawlspace first. always last.

I’m not worried about the drains. I’ve installed thousands of tubs in my lifetime. It’s the mechanical connections that are pressurized during pump operation. There’s more mechanical connections than the visible components connecting the pump motor.

Cleaning the messy black slime from a jetted tub that hadn’t been ran for months isn’t in my job description.

1 Like

If you are going to test the jets, make sure to fill more than 1" over the highest nozzle. And…very important…make sure the upper nozzles aren’t pointing in the upward direction! The tub will suck some water in, and if it does and the jets are pointing up, there won’t be enough water to deflect the spray down, or to keep it in the tub. I found that out the hard way, on my 3rd practice inspection. Jets pointed up, shot right through the little water covering the jets and onto the walls. Good thing it was a friend’s house and no damage.

Lesson learned, overfill by a few inches, and ensure jets aren’t pointed up.

Also, I always turn the tub on and test the jets. My mentor told me he did not always do it. Client moved in, turned on jets, they didn’t work. He got ahold of seller, who said “oh, those haven’t worked in years, sorry I totally forget to disclose that.” Yes, seller is still liable, but had it been checked during inspection, it would have been resolved before closing…versus being an issue that now requires suing the seller to get repairs paid for.

Good observation, William, about the leaks and doing the crawlspaces last.

Also, I did them last because I got dirty, even with clothes coverings, and did not want to trudge through people’s houses in that condition.

They appreciated it.

4 Likes