John Bubber or Mike Holmes?

I believe Mike would dig it up and apply a membrane, footing drainage, the whole 9 yards, and of course it would be done to code! :wink:

Roy:

The actual figure was $ 20,000 plus expenses to be our Keynote speaker in Calgary. That’s somewhat less than I got for the NACHI Convention, but that’s another story. (Kidding, just kidding !!)

As a drawing card, he was worth every penny because it brought our inspectors in very great numbers.

However, he met with some of us privately and we took him to task for the way he unfairly dumps on Home Inspectors. He promised us that he would now be a champion of the Home Inspection industry.

Shrotly after the conference, we found out he was writing a book on the Home Inspection industry and planned to open his own franchise. He maintained that none of the current crop of inspectors knows what they are doing.

Brian is right…even though he made our event a huge success, I doubt that he would be welcome at a CAHPI event.

Bill Mullen

No doubt Mike will be using a ghost writer! Do you really think anyone who wears a singlet and coveralls 24/7 can write? :mrgreen:

The reason I know about the book is that his co-author contacted me about a year ago with a list of questions about the industry. After two or three questions, it became clear this was just a fishing expedition to find out what bad things inspectors can do. The guy had no interest in hearing about anything positive about Home Inspectors.

I cut the call very short and made it clear that I wasn’t going to be a part of a sensational negative report about my fellow inspectors just so Mike Holmes could swoop in and save homebuyers from our incompetence.

Bill Mullen

• I can see it now…Mikey waltz’s in for the inspection…bashes the drywall so he can pull on the electrical wires and say they need replacing…bashes more holes and smashes the copper water lines, they need replacing too…bashes more holes in the drywall…bashes more holes in the drywall…*

If I opened every wall and ceiling I could locate more problems to, I can’t wait to see how many real estate agents recommend his guys after they keep coming back with $50,000 dollars in required repairs and everything has to come down! With all do respect to Mike Holmes , and yes I watch the show , but you have to be realistic with what a VISUAL NON_DESTRUCTIVE inspection can uncover.

Thanks for the heads up Bill we should all be prepared for the worse when it comes .
I see many things he does that scare me .
He is front and centerer telling others how to do things but in most cases it is the trades he hires who do the work.
I see his right hand lad is no longer with him.
…Cookie

Not in this part of town, I know it well… shale bedrock almost at grade. This house crawlspace was only 1 ’ below grade and water entered through fissures in the bedrock with water pressure being supplied by properties at higher elevations.

A few years earlier, I inspected another house just 4 houses down the same side of the street. It had 6’+ high unfinished basement with a blasted/ripped foundation hole of about 4’ with 2’ of conrete wall above grade. From the prominent dampness seen at floor cracks, I mentioned in the report that the floor may need an interior drainage system installed. Got a call during a heavy February rain 5 months later- water was running up through many of the cracks; one spot had a little spoutlet of about 2" high. Apparently previous owners for 50 years didn’t mind the water occasionally!!!