Just an idea

Originally Posted By: Anonymous
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

From what I hear about all the HI organizations including this one no one is entirely satisfied with the leadership.

My idea is for the members of NACHI to buy Nick out and have it become an actual member owned, member run organization.
Nick's a great marketer and maybe there'd be a paid role for him in the the new Nachi which will be known as NNACHI.

I know I'd pay at least twice what the annual dues are if I could join and be a part of a true member driven org. where the decisions were all made by popular consensus.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Chad,

Join or shut up, already. Man oh man. You have a lot to say for a guest. If you dont like the org, you dont have to join. If you dont want to join, fine.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Chad:

Sounds like a great idea, but non-profit organizations like NACHI don't issue stock. You can't own one. I grant you that I technically control it and hold the position that makes many decisions unilaterally, but I can't sell it. I don't own NACHI, no one does, and NACHI has no assets to speak of anyway.

Maybe you should form your own organization and let every member vote on everything. Sounds like a good plan.

Nick

Originally Posted By: rpalac

In defense of Chad.

Chad yopur ideas are wlcome but it sounds simpler and greener than you think.
Nick does a fine job by me, and the meber count shows that others feel the same.

Nick does make most of the decisions from what I gather, but every org has a leader who has some type of overlaying authority to make some judgments without the vote of it's mebers. I have seen orginizations run one hundrdd percent by Robert Rules of Order and big or small they rarly run smooth. As the old saying goes, "you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can never please all the people any of the time".

A total vote orginization ussually has a lot of overhead or sluggish on getting thing doen. They too wind up with clicks that control the vote and the decisions.

A lot of people don'tlikeoutsiders voicing their oppinion. It doesn't bother me, but I'm not most. (As long as it isn't trying to be spitefull or condisendeing to destroy).

I'm not done but I'll rest for now...
Bob p.

I agree. It doesn’t bother me either. I like it all. I find all criticism (even rude criticism) very helpful.

Nick

PS. Decision-making isn't very much of what I do anyway. It's not like I'm sitting behind some big oak desk all day, giving things the thumbs-up or thumbs-down. Most of this job is monotonous, repetitive, assembly-line work.

In Nick’s defense, I have been trying to get him to contribute as mush as possible, as ED of this org, to our efforts in forming the steering committee, and various sub committees. Even to pitch some names of folks he thinks would be good.

Like pulling teeth. Nick wants us to do it on our own. No influence from him. Boxing him into a corner is like trying to herd cats (Sorry Nick for stealing your saying).

He is letting the membership steer the boat. He's there to jump in, but has kept completely out of it. He doesnt have to... he WANTS to, and that speaks volumes...

--
Joe Farsetta

Originally Posted By: Guest

jfarsetta wrote:
Chad,

Join or shut up, already. Man oh man. You have a lot to say for a guest. If you dont like the org, you dont have to join. If you dont want to join, fine.

Joe, I admire you. You're blunt and bright. Most of the folks would be calling me names, you're still working on my membership.

If I was smarter, I'd be able to figure out a more diplomatic approach to getting some answers. Unfortunately, as I've said before, I was born w/ a small portion of a normal brain. I appreciate your patience and resolve.

blunt, i am…

we need good members.

we're a pretty cheap date.

--
Joe Farsetta

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Chad,

I, for one, have a problem with a member owned, member run organization. If NACHI were to come to that, we would certainly be no better than ASHI. In light of that, those few members that are involved, do what is best for them and not for the industry or the inspector. Those self serving interests is what drove me away from that association along with the high costs associated with their membership.

You seem to be expending a lot of energy lately to turn NACHI into another ASHI. If ASHI fits you, by all means join them. The way it stands now, NACHI is a much better association and I look forward to keeping it that way.

Joe Myers

Joe Farsetta:

Thanks. It is hard for an outsider to belive it but its true.

Chad: for the past 4 years NO ONE has answered the phone at NACHI other than me. Anyone who has called NACHI's phone number in the past 4 years, got Nick the receptionist. I empty the trash cans too. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Nick

Joe M,

I know far less about ASHI than I do about NACHI. All I know of NACHI is what I've seen here.
I'm new..very new. I'm not comparing, I'm learning.

I'm old enough and have taken enough Zig Zigler courses to know that one needs to look beneath the shiny surface to get a real picture of what's happening.

Originally Posted By: randerson

Chad:

Based on personal experience, members have far more say in NACHI then they have ever had in CAPHI. There seems to also be far less competiveness between members, in fact all members seem to be very willing to help out fellow members. Even if the other member is a direct competitor. Why would we screw up a good thing, by turning it into another ASHI or CAPHI?

By the way, whenever I've called NACHI, Nick has answered the phone personally and has gone above and beyond the call of duty in helping me out. For example, my company needed (for legal reasons) written NACHI authorization for useage of the NACHI logo. I called Nick and he sent it to me A.S.A.P. You don't find that happening with other organizations.

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

What Nick and Joe both speak are the truth. I have called the NACHI headquarters many times and Nick is there answering the phone. Granted his voice isn’t as nice as talking to a receptionist. But we tolerate it. I have only been with NACHI since the summer. However, I can tell you Chad that this is the organization to join. I have done the same thing as Joe and tried to get Nick to make a decision. However, he likes to let the members sort out their own problems.

I asked to be put in charge of the Charity Foundation, Nick said go for it. I was amazed espially since I had only been a member for a couple of months. However, when I asked Nick how he wanted me to run it. He said, just do it.

Nick has a very interesting sense in running things. And although there are times when the general membership may not agree on things. You can count on there being times when we all get a long. If you read Misc or General, or even the members section. You may see two members arguing back and forth about something trivial. Howver, you could go into plumbing and see the same two members helping each other out.

--
Gary (Snicker's) Johnson - Free NACHOS
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895

Nicely put, Gary. And, absolutely correct.

Joe Farsetta

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

I have those every now and then, don’t worry I dont’ let them go to my head.

Gary (Snicker’s) Johnson - Free NACHOS

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Chad,

Remember you are always welcome at NACHI as a guest. We encourage you to utilize our resources. I even find some of your post quite educational, and I personally thank-you. You stipulate that you will not join NACHI, because you feel that we rely solely (or words to that effect) on Realtors. Which you do not believe in. That's great. I to do not rely on Realtors for my business. I only believe in my self worth and dedication to professionalism and education.

No one within the NACHI organization (as far as I know) stipulates that you must use realtors. If you choose not to, then don't. Utilizing that excuse as not joining is in my view a lame duck.

Think, about it. Open forum, and you should really should see what you miss in the members only section. Unbelievable camaraderie(sp).

For less than the price of TV Cable per year, or a case of soda per week for a year, or a pack of cigarettes a day for a year, you can easily pay for one years membership in the NACHI, organization. There are no hidden agendas here. There are no monarch's. There is only brotherhood brought together by one fine organization, known as NACHI.
We may not be the best, we may not be the biggest, but damn it we sure are heading that way. With out without you at our side we will succeed.

Don't hesitate, join the future in Home Inspections. Enjoy and learn. Become one of a couple thousand voices trying to make a difference in the betterment of the Home Inspection Industry.

Thanks for reading, and have an enjoyable day.

Hi John,

I have a few compelling reasons that I'd like to join NACHI, and honestly I very well may join.

It was never in my plan to be adversarial or conflictive and frankly, I'm sorry that my method has compromised my purpose. I'll be the first to admit that I've asked some hard questions and in the process have pissed off a lot of people. To NACHI's credit, I've received dozens of pm's and emails from some very bright, very professional folks whose opinions frequently agree with mine, but just as often are opposed to mine. Given the source of the differing viewpoints, I'm wise enough to know that none should be dismissed.

For now, I'm going to reap the benefit of this board and steal the wit and wisdom from the best of the members and I promise to ignore the vitriol.

I do wish that I knew entirely what the motives and plans for the org. are and what the future of it's exponential growth will yield and for whom.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Chad,

Don't be shy...
![](upload://vbkeyn3G7biL3DvC7XiJNLnBFm8.gif)
http://www.nachi.org/documents/application.htm

We could use another knowledgeable Inspector, such as yourself.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: rhollingshead

Dittos to John and Dave!

Chad, I've read your posts many times and watched you "piss em off", but I gotta agree with John and Dave, you should join. Many of the concerns and questions you've raised are addressed in the members section. Not to be secretive, but because that's where the members hash things out.

Come on over to our side of the fence and see who really runs things.

Regards,
Ron

--
Don't tell me it can't be done...., Just Do It!