Just when you think you've seen it all

Furnace in second story closet of condo. The main condensate drain is the one coming off the coil on the left side, and the secondary is the one on the right. Follow the path of the drain line in the first pic, then see where the drain ends in pic #2. :shock:

Condensate 1.jpg

Condensate 2.jpg

Stupidity is easy for some folks other folks have to work very hard to achieve that level.
I have been harping about condensate drains for a long time now. I commend you. Glad to see someone is actually following the lines to see where they terminate

Most of time they are concealed in walls and ceilings and difficult to follow, but common sense usually prevails.
(That and seeing a piece of PVC sticking out of a wall) :wink:

it is suppose to be in a conspicuous place.:smiley:

You gotta wonder if that’s exactly what the installer was thinking. :roll:

You have to give them some credit. They did remember to put a cap on the cleanout. LMAO!

Oh man Scott, you gotta go there.

Now there will be posts how it’s not a clean-out, but a vent for the non-existing loop seal.

:twisted:

I do not see the problem. Aren’t secondary lines supposed to be used when there is a problem with the first that would necessitate maintenance? At least you would spot there was a problem.

Doesn’t look like there is a trap right there visible (good point). But if it is just a service/cleanout stub, with a separate vent for a condensate trap somewhere else, then I don’t see the issue with capping it … :wink:

The system in my house does not have the condensate lines trapped either. When my 1 year warranty came up, I noted that to the HVAC guy when he came (to fix another issue with the system) and he called his boss and his boss told him that the system doesn’t need to be trapped. I’ve heard that ALL condensate lines should be trapped and I’ve heard that they should be trapped if they discharge into the main sewer line. Which is correct?

I was taught, they all need to be ‘trapped’ since there is a differential pressure between the coil side and the atmosphere. Causing cold air to blow through the drainline, creating areas of condensation, which can lead to rot, insects, and mold.

This can be built in which I’ve not seen, but out of HVAC field, and rarely dabbled in the residential part. I guess a quick check is to see if air is flowing through the drain lines in the cooling season.

imho,

tom

Uh, would you want it draining to the FLOOR of your house? What if you were gone for a couple of days, and the main got blocked?

Since there is no way to get this to the exterior, I suggested a pan be installed in the plenum below the unit, with a kill switch installed to trip if water gets into the pan.

As for the trap, there is one but it is hidden in the pic.

There are some units that specifically say NOT to trap the condensate drain. I think one of them is Rheem.

If the vertical line is placed before the trap, and isn’t capped, cold air blows out of the vertical line. Cools the attic, too!