Kingston Feb 23 CAHPI Heritage Training

Hi Roy; can I ask a favour…please…post this on the NACHI Board for me.
Regards
Cam
----- Original Message ----- From: Cam Allen
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2008 3:40 PM
Subject: Heritage Training Session (My comments)

Homes

OPEN INVITATION TO ALL HOME INSPECTORS

SAT FEBRUARY 23rd…9;00 AM TILL 1;OO PM
LOCATION; TRAVELODGE; 2360 PRINCESS ST

On behalf of the  "Kingston Committee/ CAHPI Ontario" we welcome all home inspectors to a morning session in Kingston, February 23rd. We have moved our location to the Travelodge at 2360 Princess St. This hotel is located beside the RONA store. Coming from east or west on the 401 you will exit at Sydenham Road, and go south to Princess St. At Princess Street you will turn right (west) and the hotel is less than a half mile on the right. (see "my opinion below") This is a free, open meeting for any home inspector, no matter their affiliation. Education Credit Certificates will be issued at this meeting. 
 This Heritage Session will run approximately 3-4 hours. I have condensed the Opening Day Session from the "Heritage Seminar" that I run. This is a power point presentation that I present. If any of you do not know me, I have over 25 years of heritage experience and hold an Ontario License in Industrial Woodworking. We were recently awarded the contract to complete inspections on the Heritage Buildings in the Mississippi Mills Region for the Lanark County Heritage Society. 
 Also in attendance will be be two of the best trades in the region. Dave Ottenhof is a third generation heritage Mason. Dan Buckley is a licensed Carpenter with over 25 years of heritage experience. The presentation will be a group of three trainers answering your questions on Heritage Homes. After the power point presentation we will have a round table Q & A session. We have seating for 45 inspectors and can add more if necessary.

…MY COMMENTS…PLEASE READ

I have moved the meeting room for one reason.....cost. I think it is time that everyone knew some of the issues. The Kingston Group has filled legal action against OAHI for refusal to pay for our meeting rooms. While this is in the courts we will not be silenced by OAHI. Our lawyer has stated we have an excellent case and the OAHI defence......well its their defence. Why they won't support us?....simply put I won't be pressured by them, I won't back down and many of you know the many OAHI issues.The fact that your membership fees are paying for their lawyer to defend this when some compromise should have worked out,  they made absolutely no attempt, not a single call.
  As some of you may or may not know the OAHI board recently spent 2500.00 of your membership fees to allow a select number of board members and their wives to attend a dance, the OREA Titanic Ball. I quote section "Objects of the Association" from Bill 158, this is supposed to be the definition of the OAHI. It states " (b) to provide training and educational facilities to the members of the Association".......ask yourself........is this right?       
 The past two meetings have come out of my pocket and this one will too. I absolutely refuse to let Eastern Ontario be "black-listed", this is wrong.....period. 
It is my expressed opinion that the OAHI Board will do anything to stop the Kingston Group and specifically myself, even if it affects its members.  I gave up in 2003, it will not happen this time.......that is a promise. Every home inspector deserves the chance to meet with his peers no matter their affiliation,  gain valuable knowledge and have a clear, fair and open path to understand what it will take to attain the National Certification and be part of a "Made In Canada"  Program. We will discuss this further on Saturday, maybe its time for another voice in Ontario.

Best Regards
Cam Allen

Cam, what is the basis of OAHI not supporting Kingston group? This seems very odd.

Nothing with OAHI is odd come to the meeting and see a well presented program See you there.
Cam has trouble posting so he got me to make the post.
Cookie

Its very interesting that the OAHI lawyer has been the author of the confusion of the OAHI bylaws as he wrote them.

It is also not surprising that this same lawyer wrote for a fee (paid by OAHI members) which was based on what he was told and he apparently rendered a written opinion not based on the facts.

He has also been contradicted by two outside lawyers, again paid by the members which contradicted OAHI legal counsel! These two lawyers to my knowledge did not have any knowledge of each others request for comment/opinion on the matters sought for clarification.

I have had opinions from lawyer friends which also contradict OAHI legal opinion.

In my opinion OAHI legal counsel is a lousy lawyer and collecting fees for his poor advice.

I have emailed him asking him if he intended to show up at the AGM, and also challenged him on his opinions of my status as Retired with no reply, and I have also asked him when he will be resigning! No answer!

Like so many things in OAHI he appears to be an opportunistic parasite billing OAHI for services which are less than spectacular. But then again he is a good friend of Terry Carsons, so nothing should come as a surprise.

His ability to offer a defence in small claims court must be very challenging while being very costly to OAHI. No doubt it would have been cheaper for OAHI to settle the claim which has merit than to pay for costly legal advice from this rookie which will likely cost more than the claim being sought by the Kingston meeting group. Apparently OAHI’s mathematical skills are a challenge once again.

**This is a excellent opportunity and would be very good session.

OPEN INVITATION TO ALL HOME INSPECTORS

SAT FEBRUARY 23rd…9;00 AM TILL 1;OO PM
LOCATION; TRAVELODGE; 2360 PRINCESS ST

On behalf of the “Kingston Committee/ CAHPI Ontario” we welcome all home inspectors to a morning session in Kingston, February 23rd. We have moved our location to the Travelodge at 2360 Princess St. This hotel is located beside the RONA store. Coming from east or west on the 401 you will exit at Sydenham Road, and go south to Princess St. At Princess Street you will turn right (west) and the hotel is less than a half mile on the right. (see “my opinion below”) This is a free, open meeting for any home inspector, no matter their affiliation. Education Credit Certificates will be issued at this meeting.

This Heritage Session will run approximately 3-4 hours. I have condensed the Opening Day Session from the “Heritage Seminar” that I run. This is a power point presentation that I present. If any of you do not know me, I have over 25 years of heritage experience and hold an Ontario License in Industrial Woodworking. We were recently awarded the contract to complete inspections on the Heritage Buildings in the Mississippi Mills Region for the Lanark County Heritage Society.
Also in attendance will be be two of the best trades in the region. Dave Ottenhof is a third generation heritage Mason. Dan Buckley is a licensed Carpenter with over 25 years of heritage experience. The presentation will be a group of three trainers answering your questions on Heritage Homes. After the power point presentation we will have a round table Q & A session. We have seating for 45 inspectors and can add more if necessary.

…MY COMMENTS…PLEASE READ

I have moved the meeting room for one reason…cost. I think it is time that everyone knew some of the issues. The Kingston Group has filled legal action against OAHI for refusal to pay for our meeting rooms. While this is in the courts we will not be silenced by OAHI. Our lawyer has stated we have an excellent case and the OAHI defence…well its their defence. Why they won’t support us?..simply put I won’t be pressured by them, I won’t back down and many of you know the many OAHI issues.The fact that your membership fees are paying for their lawyer to defend this when some compromise should have worked out, they made absolutely no attempt, not a single call.
As some of you may or may not know the OAHI board recently spent 2500.00 of your membership fees to allow a select number of board members and their wives to attend a dance, the OREA Titanic Ball. I quote section “Objects of the Association” from Bill 158, this is supposed to be the definition of the OAHI. It states " (b) to provide training and educational facilities to the members of the Association"…ask yourself…is this right?

The past two meetings have come out of my pocket and this one will too. I absolutely refuse to let Eastern Ontario be “black-listed”, this is wrong…period.

It is my expressed opinion that the OAHI Board will do anything to stop the Kingston Group and specifically myself, even if it affects its members. I gave up in 2003, it will not happen this time…that is a promise. Every home inspector deserves the chance to meet with his peers no matter their affiliation, gain valuable knowledge and have a clear, fair and open path to understand what it will take to attain the National Certification and be part of a “Made In Canada” Program. We will discuss this further on Saturday, maybe its time for another voice in Ontario.

Best Regards
Cam Allen**

Funny isn’t it? Every association this guy joins finds itself embroiled in one kind of turmoil or another. :shock: :roll: