Lawsuit

Originally Posted By: bcherry
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Has anyone heard of a class action lawsuit against hardi-plank or any manufacturer of this type of building material?

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Brad,

try these links

www.sidingsclaims.com

www.sidingsolutions.com

these are from memory as I am not at home I hope they are still current, the second one is for Dave Cohen who trained on this subject for us down at the convention.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

http://www.sidingsolutions.com/Updates/Update2003.html

Member - MAB

http://www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm

Originally Posted By: jedwards

Haven’t heard of one. In my limited knowledge, 99% of class actions against siding manufacturers regard composition wood (“Masonite”) siding-- and every company that’s even thought about making it has been sued. IF it was installed properly and IF it’s been maintained correctly-- i.e., painted regularly-- comp wood siding was actually a serviceable product in many areas of the country.

Someone told me not too long ago that the Hardie company has on display in the reception area of their corporate headquarters a piece of their siding that's been soaking in a vat of water for several years with no absorption, deterioration, etc.

From everything I've heard and read, modern fiber cement siding can only be considered to "fail" if it's been installed wrong, allowing water intrusion, not unlike any kind of siding. I've used it on investment properties, and it's great, but heavy as the day is long.

--
John Edwards
Assurance South, LLC home page
Pre-Paid Legal Services

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_rolleyes.gif

I have read about fiber cement siding. Unless you are ready to try a product that needs 15 hours of continued education as put forth by certinteed Company to educate yourself on how to install it, you better be prepared on how to inspect it. This product was actually introduced in the early 70’s but was not a marketable entity. They are trying to come back, but their downfall will be the lack of contractors knowledgeable enough to install it correctly. This will most likely cause more lawsuits. This product, besides being heavy, is impossible to cut, requires backprime, needs proper gapping at windows and doors, and likely to not succeed in the market on the second round.

Originally Posted By: jedwards

Hmmm… interesting observations. I have no experience with the Certainteed product, but the Hardi-panel at Home Depot has tear-off info/installation sheets that don’t mention anything about continuing education, or any specialized installation instructions beyond any other type of plank or panel siding, except regarding fasteners/spacing, painting, etc.

I've ripped 4X8 sheets into 16" widths on a table saw with a 40-tooth carbide blade and had no problems (since I had my son to help me--it *is* heavy). A breather mask or respirator is required while cutting, though.

Just yesterday I did a draw inspection on a new half-million-dollar house (and that's a LOT of hou$e around here) in an exclusive gated mountaintop community. Guess what the plank siding is made of? (Hint... it's not any kind of wood or vinyl.)

--
John Edwards
Assurance South, LLC home page
Pre-Paid Legal Services

Originally Posted By: kbowles

Hard to cut??? Heck I had to replace a few pieces and it was as easy as “scoring” the backside and snapping it like you would break a piece of glass when you cut it. I didn’t even have to break out the carbide tip saw. I feel it is an excellent product. Fibre-Cem has been making concrete shingles for many years with no problems.

Kevin B

--
Life's a journey, not a destination.
Aerosmith

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif Hi. hope you are all doing fine.

I have included information on how to access information on fiber cement siding put out by Certainteed. The address to view this information is [b][b]http://www.certainteed.com/certainteed/pro/desiguprofbodynew.htm

Other courses might be found educational also.

Welcome to CertainTeed's Continuing Education course offering site.
Click on the course you wish to enter.

Designing with Siding
Fiber Cement Siding: Traditional Aesthetics, Modern Technology
Introduction to Decking and Railing Systems
New Dimensions in Asphalt Shingles
Principles of Attic Ventilation
The Attic: Three Components, One System
The Exterior Wall: A Systems Approach
Vinyl Fence Systems
Low Slope Bituminous Roof Systems
Windows: An Inside View
Building Material Basics: Vinyl 101