Licensing coming to Colorado. Department of Regulatory Agencies Sunshine Review.

There are so many falsehoods in that document, that I do not know where to begin. Most of us know the drill.

HI laws will never protect the consumer. They only allow basic, minimal requirements, which result in basic, standard reports, and standard basic information to the home buyer. This is what all interest groups want, especially the REA’s. So, why can’t each REA office set their own parameters when it comes to HI requirements? That could save the state thousands, if not millions of dollars. All they have to do is look at Texas. Have them call the TREC to see how much money is involved with HI licensing, and the lawsuits to follow.

This will put a heavy monetary burden on HI’s, with more fees. All HI’s will have to play by the rules, so this eliminates competition. Not one HI will do a proper home inspection, IMO, because of basic procedures.

You also need to implement state wide building codes, such as the IRC, so every HI will know how to state an item is defective. Builders will have to build all structures in every county by these codes. The state will have to hire AHJ enforcement officers to monitor these codes for every home builder.

I could go on and on. Kansas got the laws out for many reasons. Look there.

Lastly, everyone has a driver’s license. That makes them the best drivers, right? Hunting licenses makes it totally safe to go hunting, Not. You have to have a license to get married. 50% of them fail.

In the words of JB, licensing will solve nothing. It only benefits the ones who push the laws, such as associations and educational teachers, so they will make money. HI laws benefit the REA’s, because, by law, they will now get a home inspector that will do a basic report, by basic standard rules, so homes will sell, so they will make money, so REA office brokers, mortgage lenders, title companies, etc. will get their cut of the money.

All allowed, by law. The consumer loses, big time.

Now that the Office of Policy has completed their official association/designation comparison confirming that CMI is the inspection industry’s highest professional designation, we’re working on getting the legislation to grandfather all CMIs.

If Colorado licensing goes through, CMI’s will be left out, because most do better inspections than the basic guys. CMI’s will have to lower their standards to the basic, standard state laws and SOP’s, or go broke. It happened here in Kansas. CMI designation does not help in any licensed state. Why would a home buyer pay extra for a CMI, when they can get the same licensed inspector in a licensed state for much less? That is what the REA’s want: a level playing field. Cost of an inspection is the only difference in home inspectors in any licensed state.

That’s some funny Sh*t there.

I get recommended by many realtors based on my inspections, reports and knowledge. They don’t care what I charge. I am in the upper end of the scale as far as fees go. If what you say was true I would be starving!
I anticipate raising by fees when this licensing goes into effect.
Maybe you should move here and make some money and quit worrying about Kansas.

I’ve been telling Gary to move for years. There are a couple dozen real estate transactions in his market area. That’s why U-Haul rents one-way. :wink:

Anyway, once licensing is adopted, everyone goes back to square one in that veteran inspectors share the same state-issued credential (their license) as the newbie fresh out of school. Everyone gets listed on the same state list of licensed home inspectors. And consumers don’t care that you are licensed, they already assume you are and operating legally. Whip-tie do.

Where licensing is adopted, Certified Master Inspector becomes a really important tool to distinguish yourself from all other inspectors who are all running around waving the same little state-issued license.

So how about those home inspectors moving to Colorado from another state where they are already licensed? Will the inspector have to re-take the NHIE? I will be making the move to Denver in the spring of 2015 from Indiana where I am licensed and would like to have all of my ducks in a row so I know where to begin once we get there.

Thanks for any additional info that may be helpful

I’m sorry Mike, we are not allowing people to move into the state anymore. It is becoming too populated. :mrgreen::wink:
From reading the attachment that Nick posted I don’t think all of the rules are written yet. I’m sure that will be more to follow.

Mike, you’ll very likely have to complete InterNACHI’s free, online pre-licensing courses if you are not a CMI. We’ll know more in 2015.

Dan B. and I are both having issues on getting any business here. The only HI’s that are getting business are the $199 to $250 guys. My fees start at $350, and I get laughed at by home buyers when they ask how much: which is the first question they ask. (My sales talk does not seem to help). I cannot move, as my wife has a good job, and frankly, is supporting me. Perhaps the Royals are a current distraction from home sales. Only 3 inspections so far this month, which is my worse since I started in 2002. Very concerning.

So I guess the newer cheap guys learned from you? You were the cheap inspector and now you don’t like the other guys being the cheap inspector?

From 100 Inspections His 1st Year - InterNACHI Inspection Forum http://www.nachi.org/forum/f13/100-inspections-his-1st-year-95139/#post1244091#ixzz3GMffu95O

Lol OMG Gary!

Everyday is the same thing. No one believes you.

Gary,

This is not an attack on you and only my opinions. See the blue italic below.

This is not a problem unique to your area. If you want I can send you WEB site after WEB site where Inspectors post their prices and you can openly see it here in Texas as well. The lowballing in this profession is in part a direct result of our rules/laws/licensing and their lack of enforcement.

Our rules and laws are minimalist in nature and many Inspectors choose to hide behind them and only perform a minimal inspection. By doing so they can charge the lowball rates since their actual inspection is of such poor quality. These lowballing Inspectors are ignorant Inspectors whose only concern is to get the business at any cost and even if that means working for low wages and performing poorly for consumers. Some of these even give those 90 day warranty and other junk products away in an effort to lure unsuspecting consumers into their services.

What you need to do is what you are doing now and that is to keep your service level high, charge accordingly, and don’t lower your rates to the ignorant Inspector level. Yes you will not get the numbers of jobs that the lowballer gets but what you will do is work smarter, not harder, perform a high level of service, all of which will help keep you out of the hot seat by preventing unhappy and angry consumers.

By the way you should ignore those on this message board who take every opportunity to be stupid (yes their is a difference between stupid and ignorant) and slam you for how you choose to run an ethical and highly supportive (to the consumer) business. Those others are best served by going over to the other BB and stroking each others egos. I am encountering more and more consumers who are becoming more proactive not only in selecting their own Inspectors but becoming highly involved in their inspections, home purchase, and home builds. For years we heard “Don’t worry about those other lowballers since they won’t last in business.”. It has taken a long time and we have seen in the past this was not true. However now with the new consumer sentiment and involvement we will start seeing that come true and the tide has finally started to turn!

Gotcha! I’ll keep a good eye on on the message board. I have noticed that most states have reciprocal licensing maybe they will adopt that. Either way I am okay with it.

… and for what it’s worth (and I don’t mean to raise any tail feathers) but I believe licensing is a good thing for home inspectors. It adds a certain level of credibility to our profession that we all sorely need. Certifications are great don’t get me wrong, but when home buyers hear or see “licensed by the state of…” it gives them the warm and fuzzies.

IMHO licensing levels the playing field for all home inspectors and the best inspectors will rise to the top.

Thanks for keeping us all up to date on this and I will be checking back periodically for updates.

Oh I’m sure we can squeeze in there somehow :stuck_out_tongue:

See ya soon!

That’s what they all say. Just one more. Then they load up the wagon full of kids and the grandparents. Then the friends follow in their wagon. Pretty soon they name a trail after it. They all want to come to the new frontier. :wink:

It’s a true story. Happens all the time.
Look us up when you come make the move.

Thanks for all your help. I feel better now. I have an inspection for Monday: finally.

IMO, the REA offices should set the HI standards in each office. This eliminates state HI laws and regulations. As I spoke to several senators back in 2006, all you need to do is to be a member of an association, take CEU classes through them every year, send your name into the state along with insurance verifications, and you get a license. Simple.

The REA’s would not have any of that. They wanted to create the basic SOP’s so they can hire the cheap HI’s for the basic inspections, so they can legally recommend them. These people pushing this stuff were from smaller towns. This is a factor in any licensing. People in small towns do not make money, and most do not hire HI’s just to save $200. HI’s in small towns do not get as many inspections as larger cities, so state HI laws come along, and costs of business rise. This pushes out HI’s from business, which what Governor Brownback saw, and signed the laws out.

Any HI law will only benefit the ones who help push them into play. Educational providers (even InterNACHI), insurance companies, trade testing companies, all benefit. All HI’s will do is pay up.

I will continue to offer higher fees, because I do a better job. I check all windows, outlets, switches, stairways, cabinets (instead of a representative number, which is one per most SOP’s), check ALL appliances, etc. etc. I will not lower my standards to the basic, $199 HI’s.

I just had another call this morning. 3,800 square foot home, 4 bedrooms, 4 baths, full finished basement, two HVAC systems, 3 car garage. I quoted him $495 with termite. He laughed, when he said he could get it done for $300. I said good luck, and he hung up. Thanks to all for letting me vent.

:shock::roll:

Ha! You are probably right about that! I used to live there when I was younger and cannot wait to come back. We are in our initial phase of the expansion right now and I have been doing my research on everyone out there already to see where we will fit. Looks good so far :cool: