Working RE Inspector

http://www.workingre.com/WRE-Home-Inspector-Issue-2.pdf

Some good stuff … Some BS especially the Kansas stuff.

I was interviewed for the article, but some of the final draft was twisted. Nice in most ways. All can be solved by doing one thing.

Require all REA offices, brokers, agents all to recommend the best HI and tradespersons. They should interview the HI or tradesperson, set high requirements, ask for their education, experience, etc.

This would be automatic for a CMI. It will also never happen.

REA’s all want the cheapest, non-alarmist HI that they can find. Licensing would allow for this legally, and move liability onto the HI by insurance requirements. States need to realize that this is nothing but a large scam created to shaft the home buyers into purchasing sub-par properties.

To start with in some midwest areas, 80% of the REA’s definition of a GOOD inspector is 100% different than most inspectors definition of a GOOD inspector.

To many REA’s in this area the definition of GOOD home inspector starts with cheap OR in the lower 1/3rd price wise. Then comes speed … Under 2 hours is GOOD.

Over 3 hours is BAD. It goes on and on.

The article did point out 1 thing that is right on … The push for licensure comes from NAR downhill to the local BoR’s, then from special interest groups like Trial Attornies and groups like ASHI’s step-child NHIE.

NOT pushed from consumers.

The REA’s profess they want to PROTECT the public / the consumer BUT when have you seen them PUSH for mandatory licensing of contractors, builders, mandatory building codes OR code inspections, etc.

Anybody see the BS in there AND wonder why its NOT brought up in RE articles, etc .

That is a matter of each persons opinion which will never work.
I know someone I would not let work on my broke fence no less work on my home and I hear others say how wonderful he is. :roll:

In order for ANY state licensing to work, you must license all home builders, trades persons, sheet rock installers, roofers, plumbers, etc. etc. You must also implement state wide building codes, and AHJ’s in every city and county to police these people, and watch the building of homes. Any HI must know what a defect truly is, and is not. IRC would dictate this. Show me a state that has HI licensing and state-wide mandatory building codes.

Any state HI licensing law is pushed by the REA and their buddy lobbyists. I think we all know why they want it.

Are you the Robert Anderson they spoke of?

Texas has both.

So does Maryland, for years now.

Jim

Licensing can work, it really depends how well it is implemented. When it is done wrong it does not make anything any better.

So with all of your recent research which States are doing it wrong?

So does Louisiana.

Most have something they should improve upon.

The scariest have the inspectors controlled by the realtor board.

Home inspectors should be the top tier license, above General contractors and building inspectors because of the knowledge needed to do the job properly. There should be some sort of apprenticeship, although implementation is difficult.

I do like the path that Nachi is going with the inspector degree.