Licensing Question

Originally Posted By: Frances Peterson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi, I’m Frances from Oklahoma. My husband has granted me the task of researching the ins and outs of a home-based business in home inspection. He currently works for the City and is involved in inspecting and maintaining their buildings. He has taken NACHI’s online exam and passed. Our State requires an “approved Home Inspection training course” to be eligible to take the Licensing Exam. There is a list of such training courses, NACHI is not on the list. My husband is already very knowledgeable in the field, and he has worked/trained under licensed professionals for the last 5 years. I also notice that NACHI and ORCIA are in the process of some type of joining/association/affiliation ??? Should we wait and see if our state is going to add NACHI as an approved training course, or is this not likely to happen? Thank you for the ear, this web site is on my favorites toolbar, and I am a girl!!!

Originally Posted By: dbowers

You’ve got 4-5 sources right in the state that are dirt cheap. Between $400 and $600 for the week long course. What is he waiting for.

Dan Bowers

Yeah, 4 - 600$ is a small investment for the potential payoff. I just wanted to be sure that I didn’t jump the gun. Do you know of any other states that consider NACHI coursework to meet the pre-licensing education requirement? I’m curious because the State Licensing web page has some qualifications for having courswork approved and it seems to me that NACHI would make a great candidate??? I will try to find out more about the fast track courses, all I am finding right now are evening courses…most of which start in May. Thanks for your input, this was a pleasant 1st time message board experience.

I’m not sure what you mean by jumping the gun. You’ve got several in state courses already approved and teaching the 50-55 hour class needed for Oklahoma licensure. You’ve also got several approved trainers in nearby states teaching the needed course. If he wants to do it why wait to see if any other group does or does not get approved to teach this at some time in the future.

By jumping the gun, I mean advising before I am comfortable that my research is done. What can I say, I read the entire menu before ordering. I’m sure it seems silly to you, but it is a big decision for our family. I hate to buy it and have it go on sale the next day. I’m a girl, we generally take a long time making a decision and tend to do things the hard way?? Any of these excuses working for ya. Seriously though, what school did you find that offered a one week course, I’m not finding it?

Frances - I’m not in your state, but I did 2 searches on the internet for Pre-Licensing Schools for Home Inspectors in Oklahoma and came up with a bundle of choices. You can also find them by going to www.health.state.ok.us (once on the site do a search for HI Trainers or Providers).

For general info - in the past 20 years I've seen the training fees go up - never down. No fire sales here.

Dan Bowers

Originally Posted By: shuggins

Frances,

We are in the process of starting a chapter here in the state of Oklahoma. There are several schools here that meet the requirements, please feel free to contact me if you and your husband have any questions. We hope to have the first chapter meeting in the next few months.

Spencer

--
Spencer Huggins
H & H Inspection Services, LLC
Piedmont, Oklahoma
spencer@hhinspections.com
http//www.hhinspections.com

Oklahoma NACHI Chapter Vice President
shuggins@ok.nachi.org

Thanks Spencer, My husband is very interested in being an active member of the Oklahoma Chapter. We are wanting to get a home based HI business started sometime this year. My husband has at work experience and we just need to secure the certificates to allow him to become State licensed. I am planning on doing all the marketing and book keeping for him, so I would welcome any help I can get. The first thing I need to find is a school that fits my husbands schedule. Many of the night programs started in January and early Feb. The next session is in May. This gives us time to stash some cash for exam fees and start up costs etc. Is there a majic number for start up capital. We have a PC and printer, but are there other tools that a HI cannot do without? Thanks so much for your reply.

Frances,

The first thing you should do is become a member of NACHI. As to what school to use is up to you, alot of the schools are a week long (50-55 hours) and then you can sit for the test.

Start-up Cost
1. Tools ( this is really up to the inspector)
2. Reporting (check list or software)
3. Marketing (business cards, fliers, ads and brochures)

Most of your cost is marketing, one of our members in CA, (Russell Kirk). This guy knows how to market his company very well. The licensing in the state only started about 7 months ago and this business can be very clickie. I hope this helps and again feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.

Spencer Huggins

--
Spencer Huggins
Piedmont, Oklahoma

shuggins@ok.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: Guest

deleted in the interest of good taste.

Originally Posted By: ltrower

Frances,

I have to apologize to you for Chad's response. When you have an open forum like we do at NACHI you are subject to all the un-grateful, unwashed street people that frequent the library of America using their computers. You will notice that Chad is not a member of NACHI. I live in Oklahoma just outside of Tulsa. Feel free to contact me and I will try to help you and your husband.

Lee Trower
foxtrot3@cox.net

Lee, you’re right, I should have sugar coated that a little more and Francis I apologize for being rude. The reality is though, it’s the inspector that should be learning all this stuff.

Originally Posted By: psabados

Chad

Husband and wife teams in the HI exist. It is both good and wise that if a spouse is going to be involved in the day to day operations of the business, that they both know the inner and outer workings. Don't you think. Sometimes two heads are better than one.

Paul

Geez I hate when this happens. (being wrong)

Francis, I was too quick to type and obviously didn't fully consider all the possibilities for your new business. I'm sorry for being snotty.

Everyone probably understands my point if not my method of delivery, but I'll recapitulate.

If your husband's going to be taking the tests and going to school he should be actively involved in the selection processes because he knows best what his weak areas are. He can choose the most appropriate track to follow and that involvement in the process will expedite the learning process. It's very nice that you're a team and I'm sure its really helpful for you to research all this, but I still think he should be actively involved.

Wow, thanks for defending my honor guys, and thank you for the apology. I cheerfully accept. I agree that my husbands involvment is crucial, and his decision is final. I am the delegated researcher and sifter. I give him the cliff notes version and research any questions he may have. I also will be handling all his clerical needs. He is really needing a class that meets at night or online (work). I think we are going to go with Metro Tech, unless I can find one that starts sooner than May. Thanks Guys, you rock.

Frances,

I'm the process of contacting some of the schools in the OKC area, I will be meeting with them next week. I think Charles Barnes in Midwest City has a online course, I'm sure of the cost.

Spencer Huggins

--
Spencer Huggins
Piedmont, Oklahoma

shuggins@ok.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: Dale Delce

Hi Frances, i took the class at Charles Barnes in Midwest City Oklahoma back in November, and i paid 3 days in advance and the class only cost me 650.00 total.They gave me all the books i needed, now im just waiting til i feel comfortable enough to take the test and i’ll probably do that sometime in March.Hope that helped icon_smile.gif

Looking forward to the home inspection business.

Dale,

The first Oklahoma chapter meeting will on April 17 in Tulsa, you are more than welcome to come. If you any questions please feel free to contact me. I will be handling the OKC area and Ken Trice the Tulsa area.

Thanks, Spencer

--
Spencer Huggins
Piedmont, Oklahoma

shuggins@ok.nachi.org

Frances - If theres any way possible I suggest your husband attend a hands on class - online just does not give the interaction of classroom.

I am a home inspector and a national trainer that has done HI's since 1976 and has taught hundreds of varied training classes to contractors, engineers, appraisers, home inspectors, realtors and the general public regarding inspection topics since 1988. I can honestly say I've never met anyone, anyplace that I thought could get as much out of online or video courses as in person.

Dan Bowers, CRI