Light for crawlspace inspections?

I’m wanting to purchase something other than a hand-held light for crawlspace inspections. I assume some use a head lamp, but I would appreciate comments with respect to which ones have been found to be the most useful. TIA

I have been using this for the last few years.

I use this Tikka from Petzl… it rocks…:shock:

http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Produit=555

I wear a hat to protect me from spiders. Sometimes conditions are so cramped (having to squeeze under HVAC ducts, etc.) that I don’t think a head lamp is practical. They don’t put off that much light. I have one but don’t use it. I think you’ll get tired of wasting time tinkering with it. When I’m in the CS, I want to be as efficient as possible and get the heck out of there. I find that a good hand-held flashlight is all I need.

I agree with Joe on this, the head mount flashlights are not bright enough, I prefer my ULTRA STINGER or a 1 mil candlepower cordless spot light.

Then God said “Let there be light”.

Oh no…Did I just start a religious topic? Not that again.:roll:

Not to mention that they look kinda goofy. :|.)

I use a 3 Million Candlepower handheld job that I nicknamed “MOAB”
(Mother of All Brightness)

makes for good conversation when I break this baby out, and I can see everything all the way around. Although they are typically good for several hours, I’ve noticed it stays brightest for about an hour at the most.
Thats more than enough for me to get in, and get out…

something like one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/spotlight-3-million-candlepower-light-new_W0QQitemZ270311628049QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFlashlights?hash=item270311628049&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

You wanna learn more than you would ever want to know about the latest and greatest in flashlights go to candlepowerforums.com They have sections for everything including headlamps.

I only go into crawl spaces, unless it’s new construction, with a full tyvek suit and a full face respirator. Sometimes it seems like overkill but considering all the poisons and such used over the years, not to mention the dreaded spiders, it’s cheap insurance… and looks cool too.:smiley:

I agree. . .

I take my streamlight but whatever you use, take two! Streamlights are great but when they die, they die fast (usually in the farthest corner of the crawl)

Agree.

I take two as well . . . when the light goes, if you’re not out . . . fun, fun, fun

I’ve used the Streamlight SL-20XP LED for years. Recently I thought I’d see what all the fuss was about and get a Streamlight Stinger. I know they advertise the Stinger with a higher candle power. But, the only noticeable difference is that when the Stinger dies, it leaves you quickly in the dark. When the SL-20XP LED dies, you flip to led mode and you have hours of light remaining to get out of the attic or crawl space.

The Stinger has only 1 hour of run time. The SL-20XP LED has 1.5 hours of run time. I rarely have to use the LED mode because the additional 30 minutes of run time usually is sufficient to complete the inspection.

I keep 2 in different colors. I have a system that I use a particular color first each day. So I know at my 2nd inspection which is the fresh flashlight. I never take 2 flashlights in a crawl space. In the rare instance when the SL dies, I have the LED light to crawl out and get a fresh one.

I’ll keep the Stinger as a backup, but won’t buy another one.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=89

Joe, that’s a great idea. I’ve never looked into the SL-20XP but I see some good deals on eBay. I like the LED backup :wink:

They come with car chargers and AC chargers, just like the Stinger.