Location of Subpanel

Originally Posted By: sramos
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/1/16702_HWY1_Zachbauer_041.jpg ]

I inspected this residence/bed and breakfast inn yesterday and found these two subpanels located in front of a sink. I recommended the buyer check with the local building authority as to the acceptability of their location.

I was unable to find a code reference for this item. However, common sense would suggest that this is not a safe location.

Comments please.

--
Steven Ramos
EnviroVue Home Inspection
866-541-2883

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Steve,

I don't see an issue with the location of these panels.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

I’d say that isn’t the safest location, but I wouldn’t get very excited about it.

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

It is a “working space” violation and it is a “big thing”.

Originally Posted By: rmoore

How many spice jars are there in 3 feet? icon_question.gif

3 feet required in front. The sink looks like less than that. Because this is an existing dwelling the 6' 6" headroom isn't required (110.26(E)Exception). So the shelf itself is OK, but the shelf bracket and the spice rack would be in violation of the clear space requirements if either intrude into the space directly in front of the panels (the perspective of the photo makes it tough to tell).

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Greg,

Would you kindly expand on "working space"? I've never heard of such a code.

Richard,

There's definitely a three foot clearance to the sink.
As for the spice rack, now we're getting picky. That'll definitely kill the deal, huh?![](upload://mEnH9lmQ1EPI7ACfk4IowNWM1yK.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: rmoore

dvalley wrote:

As for the spice rack, now we're getting picky. That'll definitely kill the deal, huh?![](upload://mEnH9lmQ1EPI7ACfk4IowNWM1yK.gif)

LOL...Yep. I'd be yelling "Run away!" as soon as I saw the curry powder. Hate that stuff. Seriously, I doubt that the spice rack is staying. However, if Steven informed his client of the working space requirements it might stop them building even more crap in front of the panels.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

You need working space in front of a panel. 110.26(A) says this shall be 30" wide, 36" deep and 6’ 6" high unobstructed. The spice rack in the working space but the real problem is it looks like the sink is too. You don’t want your a$% firmly grounded on a stainless steel sink while your hand is in a live panel. The health/fire inspector can enforce this long after the building department goes away in a commercial establishment. Once they find it you will fix it or you will start paying “dailys”.

Originally Posted By: sramos

I told them that the panel may be improperly located and they should consult the local building authority for more information. Sounds like I wasn’t too far off the mark.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

--
Steven Ramos
EnviroVue Home Inspection
866-541-2883

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Steven,

I would not say that is improperly located. Poorly located, yes. Improperly, no.

I don't see any code violation which would make it improperly located. There is nothing in the codes that state it can not be in the kitchen, next to the sink, or even the spice rack hanging next to it.

I agree with Greg, it would be wise to check with the appropriate authorities, so it does not come back to bite them in the A$$, yourself included. I would probably want it in writing too, just in case they would change their minds later. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Joe Myers
A & N Inspections, Inc.
http://anii.biz