Looking for comments on this service ground wire connection

Paul, what are your thoughts on this service ground wire connection?

Stoller 206.jpg

Question- has the overall conductor size been reduced? In large service conductors, ie 1000 mcm or greater, terminations like this are more common. Its usually done because of the difficulty in making a large surface area connection on a diameter so great. I have not seen many like this with (presumably) a number 6 conductor. What do you think Paul?

No idea if this is allowed else where but not allowed In Canada for any size conductor get the proper Connector.

Roy Cooke A Happy NACHI Member

That’s what I’d say. too.

I have to say, in almost 20 years I have NEVER seen this done with very large condcutors. I would hardly say it is even close to common.
Also, this is NOT typical or accepted by professionals. What is accepted is to get the proper lug for the condcutor in question.
A bar such as this is rated for certain sized condcutors, NOT for a larger conductor split up into several smaller ones.

I see this done quite often, but that does not make it right either.

Hey Charles…I just saw this post so I will give MY opinion…for what it’s worth.

**(A) Terminals. **Connection of conductors to terminal parts
shall ensure a thoroughly good connection without damaging
the conductors and shall be made by means of pressure connectors
(including set-screw type), solder lugs, or splices to
flexible leads. Connection by means of wire-binding screws or
studs and nuts that have upturned lugs or the equivalent shall
be permitted for 10 AWG or smaller conductors.
Terminals for more than one conductor and terminals
used to connect aluminum shall be so identified.

Now I have also seen this take place, I do not like it because to me the equipment ledger will say in most cases the size allowances for multiple conductor termination on the buss and screws…plus it provides the ability for partial removal…

The proper thing to do would be to install a proper sized LUG…we are talking like 2 bucks…uses one of those screws and mounts on the buss itself and would easily handle that conductor.

In larger installations I in all cases see a lug designed to handle the conductor size.

Yes, it is done but it is not a proper termination in MY opinion. Some could argue that since the GEC is for lightning and since lightning really travels on the outer shell of the conductor…it’s disipation point has been reduced at the connection points…but I am no authority on lightning…:)…yet anyway

Paul and everyone, thanks for your response. There were other strange things with this whole installation. There was also a #2 alumuinum 2wire with bare ground running to the sub-panel. They ran a separate #4 bare copper to the isolated ground bar and ran the bare aluminum to the neutral bar:shock: :shock: :shock: ------so lots of things the keep the licensed electrical contractor busy:D