Lowered entrance floor

Hi all,
I just passed the proctored exam yesterday and tried to do the mock test for the first time of my friends house. Upon looking at the basement ceiling, I noted that the joists were cut and lowered (maybe during the construction). Lowered enteance is very common in my country (South Korea) but this is first time that I saw in Canada.
For me, joist hangers seems to be missing some nails. And I’m not sure if this is correct way to do this. Floor conditon was good.

In this case, would you guys call this out? If yes, how to comment about this?

My friend already bought this house 3 yrs ago and it’s a bit careful to mention if this is incorrect or a defect.

Thank you so much.

From here it looks like this type of joist hanger. Which is design for what you’re showing.

2 Likes

The joist hanger looks fine.
What’s the gray stuff on the other end? What’s each beam bear to on each end?

1 Like

It looks like wet blown cellulose to me.

2 Likes

I would question the structural integrity of that header that those joists are hanging on. It doesnt even look like a double joist, it looks like (2) 2x4’s nailed over a piece of plywood…
Typically headers need to be at least as big, if not larger than the joists that hang on it, and if an I-joist is used as a header, it needs to have a filler plate for the hanger, because you cant use all the nails in the hanger. (only top and bottom), unless the hanger is wrapping over the top of the I-joist, like christopher shows. That is alot of weight hanging on that header from both sides.

Not to mention that header is also hanging on another perpendicular header that is also the same size…
And the floor is not lowered in that pic, the floor level is the same on both sides of that header.

1 Like

Good call. If it’s two I-Joists then that’s questionable. (the pictures are not so clear on that point).
The floor spanning joist which takes 5 joists worth of load does appear doubled, though it kind of looks like someone rip sawed two regular joists to make a sandwich (look at the row of screws top and bottom spanning the entire floor joist).

That said these joist hangers are nailed at the TOP, where they flap over the i-joists, like a Simpson JB28.

Regardless, this needs to called out for an expert.

For the OP, if you can get the Simpson catalog number off the joist hangers, it’s very easy to determine how many nails they required. They may very well ONLY require top nailing.

The gray wet applied insulation is a potential issue as well, due to ability to trap and retain water, keeping the ends of the joists moist.

1 Like

Here is some good info on I-Joists and headers
APA-D710.pdf (starktruss.com)

Page 30 addresses joists as headers

1 Like