Main Beam Supports

I completed an inspection on a new construction house today. The house is a typical 1 1/2 story 1400sqft crawl space build. There is about a 6” gap between the masonry support columns and the main beam. The builder nailed some 2x4’s together to compensate. Building has passed the final building inspection but I have seen missed defects in the past when the building passed the final building inspections so thought I would get some other opinions. Thanks for any feedback

I would recommend solid blocking over the area of the block pier to uniformly distribute the load.

7 Likes

Unbelievable. That is non-prescriptive construction, and should be called out as such. Good example of a “go home and do it again” defect. No way is that ok.

I suspect the framing company promised the framing inspector that he’d do it properly, and the inspector signed off. The framer just never went back and corrected it.

3 Likes

what Marcel said…

1 Like

What Jim said…

2 Likes

Observation: CMU and mixed dimensional lumber columns.
Insufficiently secured at the top and bottom.
No visible footings.
Insufficient overall column support.
Recommend: A licensed general contractor with inhouse structural engineer further evaluate and improve beam supports.

IRC requires all beam splices to be by over a column.

2 Likes

When I write up crap work like this in a report, oftentimes the real estate agent will ask me, “how did this pass inspection.” So far, my best answer is, “I have no damned idea.”

Does anyone have a better answer?

Best answer to give. Short and honest!

2 Likes

And then remind them that’s why they hired you :wink:

1 Like

Well, it is over one. Just not supported by it. :-1:

I mistyped all beam splices should be over the support, unless specifically engineered.

1 Like

We knew what you meant Randy.

Just like this from Handyman website;

The question I have with this nice picture is where did they buy a 4-1/2" column and cap. :thinking:

2 Likes

Looks like a 6x6 (51/2x51/2) with a 1/2 inch protrusion either side. Cap is 2 separate pieces.

2 Likes

Looks like you are right, Bob. Blown up tends to show the overhang of the posts.