Master Inspector Certification Board files Petition to Cancel GAHI's deceptively-similar mark

Download and read MICB’s Petition to Cancel: Master Inspector Certification Board vs GAHI

3 Likes

You consider, Code Certified Master Inspectors - CCMI’s an affront?

It’s an infringement, yes. You can’t just throw a word in front of our Registered Trademark that has been in use since 1998, anymore than you can open up a fast food chain called Code Kentucky Fried Chicken.

A Trademark protects itself and the space around it.

6 Likes

Sic’em Nick! Boy, you gotta watch your backside like a hawk these days. Don’t let them chip away at NACHI intellectual property.

1 Like

I concur.
Not legally proficient when it comes to trade marks, but I do understand your point.
Thank you for clarifying your position.

This is how it appears in GA

Boils down to Certification Marks vs. Trademarks. Good article on the difference between the two.

Ours is a certification mark that has been in continuous use since 1998.

So I guess using a trademark that requires a certification mark is not valid?

Not if it infringes on our certification mark.

Got it filed today:

1 Like

So basically, you’re going to have to argue the word “certification” and not “code” and I still don’t see that in Trademark infringement. Just don’t see it as a “slam dunk”.

I read it. Personally I would not beat my chest at this stage.

It’s most definitely infringement. You can’t just stick a word in front of our mark and think that you aren’t infringing. The test is: Will it likely cause confusion in the market place when used in the same industry? I’d say that these two marks are confusingly similar:

Certified Master Inspector®
Code Certified Master Inspector

I’m sure they will. And 1.5 mil in legal fees is a BIG dream and makes the legal profession a laughing stock in cases like this. Go for it Nick!! I actually hope your side loses this one.

I’m patient.

That has zero chance of sticking. We’ll have no problem cancelling it.

They filed a trademark. Not a certification mark. Their trademark is based on being compliant with the ICC certification mark. Again, it’s Certification Mark vs. Trademark. It will be interesting.

I just checked. Their president is ASHI. LOL. ASHI must have some kind of weird, thing for me or something. And they are about to spend a fortune losing for a 10th time in a row.

You keep saying that, but it wasn’t “registered” until much later. Try the actual “factual” truth once in awhile, not hyberole.

And you still haven’t explained why you couldn’t work out a solution without spending all this org’s member’s dues on legal fees.

1 Like