Michigan home inspector licensing meeting on July 23, 2008.

http://www.nachi.org/milicensing2008.htm

Who submitted this bill?

Where can I find a copy of this bill?

Can someone at HQ send out an E-mail to all the members in Michigan.

Nick:

Looks like someone’s starting to catch onto this “Wild West” field of home inspection!!!

"(2) A HOME INSPECTOR AND HIS OR HER FIRM ARE **STRICTLY LIABLE FOR ANY AND ALL DAMAGES **OF ANY TYPE SUSTAINED BY THEIR CLIENT AS A RESULT OF A VIOLATION OF THIS ARTICLE OR ANY ACT OR OMISSION COMMITTED BY A HOME INSPECTOR WHILE PERFORMING ACTIVITIES PURSUANT TO A LICENSE UNDER THIS ARTICLE. THE DAMAGES ARE NOT SUBJECT TO ANY LIMITATIONS SET FORTH IN A CONTRACT FOR HOME INSPECTION SERVICES OR ELSEWHERE."

If this doesn’t scare a lot of wannabes, poor inspectors, part-timers out of the field and help clean it up/improve it, then it’s a hopeless cause. If the positive happens- fewer inspectors- then prices can and will rise.

Use of the “everyone passes” NHIE would, as it has in other states, nearly triple the number of inspectors in Michigan at a time when the real estate market is soft already. Do you want to have 3 times the competitors you already have… almost overnight?

Nick,

I brought this to your attention a month ago. remember telling us that the NHIE was a minimal test and no big deal? Nothing like jumping on the band wagon at the last minute.:roll:

Nick/NACHI are no different from any other vendor who makes money from idiotic licensing laws. While he does a somewhat effective job of concealing it, NACHI Tv is positioning itself to use licensing laws to sell its “advanced” courses on flashlight battery insertion, etc in response to state required CEUs.

Do not depend on NACHI or any other vendor of licensing paraphanalia to help you interfere with their income.

You’re right Michael. It’s almost merely registration instead of licensing anymore… and everyone registers.

Michahi agrees with InterNACHI: http://www.nachi.org/documents/michahivotesno2008.pdf

Jim writes:

But you can depend on InterNACHI to help you keep your license with FREE, approved, online courses that you can take from your bed in you pajamas.

I got this today from the State of Tennessee: http://www.nachi.org/tn3roofeleclogapproval2008.htm

Jim, all three of these courses are free. Did I say free?

If this passes, I’m going to be a little ticked off… I am JUST getting into my HI business, and if perhaps this is pure expense and allot more competition, it will definitely put a few more nails in the coffin.

MI has the WORST economy of all 50 states (sometimes #49) more government regulation and TAXATION is not the answer. I view it as a tax, the Governor has raised them all as high as she could… guess that isn’t enough.

Sent this email to my Rep:

Greetings from Ludington!

I am contacting you concerning the bill before the house on July 23rd. I am concerned because I am a Certified Home Inspector with the InterNational Association of Certified Home Inspectors, (NACHI) whose business is now on the line. I believe passing this bill would be a further devastating blow to an already shattered housing and home inspection industry, by flooding the market overnight with unqualified people waving a state license. At the same time, it ads further Taxation to those already in the industry and increased cost.

Furthermore, the some wording in the bill is as follows: ( I believe)

“(2) A HOME INSPECTOR AND HIS OR HER FIRM ARE STRICTLY LIABLE FOR ANY AND ALL DAMAGES OF ANY TYPE SUSTAINED BY THEIR CLIENT AS A RESULT OF A VIOLATION OF THIS ARTICLE OR ANY ACT OR OMISSION COMMITTED BY A HOME INSPECTOR WHILE PERFORMING ACTIVITIES PURSUANT TO A LICENSE UNDER THIS ARTICLE. THE DAMAGES ARE NOT SUBJECT TO ANY LIMITATIONS SET FORTH IN A CONTRACT FOR HOME INSPECTION SERVICES OR ELSEWHERE.”

I don’t speak law, but this scares me to death. No limitations of liability? I am liable for damages sustained by my client? How in the world can I buy insurance for that?

To me this seems like a chance to further tax another industry that needs a boost. If this bill passes, I will strongly consider getting OUT of the industry altogether. This is a BAD thing for Michigan.

Mike Roberson

See what I mean?

NACHI is now playing the role of the carpetbagger and is so out of touch, there is little here to count upon.

If there is time…the liability clause in your law is similar to what many trial attorneys have pushed for in other states. They are looking for deeper pockets for bigger contingency fees. Find the political watchdog group in your state that opposes their agenda…and seek their help in fighting this bill. The trial attorneys have enemies in Michigan and today…your enemy’s enemy is your friend.

Best of luck.

A carpetbagger!!!

Well heck, if I was an InterNACHI member in Tennessee and needed to drive to some town, buy gas, stay in a motel, pay tuition, and lose a day’s work to take a course at someone else’s pace… I’d sure be wishing that my association would come up with some free, approved, online courses to help me.

InterNACHI the carpetbagger to the rescue: http://www.nachi.org/tnconted2008.htm

You don’t get it, Nick.

As a friend, I need to enlighten you to the degree in which you are distancing yourself and our organization from the ability to be relevant to those of us who are fighting the trial lawyers, real estate brokers, vendors of national tests, and other opportunists who are pushing these laws to benefit themselves at the expense of home inspectors.

You are so out of touch with the reality of what is happening…you think you can create a new “NACHI benefit” to replace the losses that we incur.

Additionally, you choose to highlight these very basic refresher courses as if they provide meaningful education to seasoned home inspectors. Sitting in their pajamas and watching through them for free is an excellent example that goes to show how licensing is a “dumbing down” of the profession…when a state will only require their licensed inspectors to watch a video on something they should have known before getting their license and doing their first home inspection.

NACHI Tv will soon become a symbol of the “dumbing down” of the inspection industry if it continues its present course.

You are wrong to present discounted coffins as a benefit to those being killed by the opportunists who are trying to use legislation as a marketing tool.

Gentlemen to your corners please…

Nick,

Your delusional, who cares what continuing education class tennessee approved. we are talking about a licensing bill that could make home inspections obsolete in the state of Michigan due to the cost increase home inspectors would have to charge if this bill is approved. The recently passed Kansas bill and now this proposed bill in Michigan is proof of a changing climate in home inspection licensing protocol. Maybe it’s time to come down out of the mountain air to clear your head. your not the Nick I used to know.

Michael writes:

Other than Tennessee home inspectors, apparently Jim Bushart does. In your post Michael where you 1/2 quoted me you oddly failed to make it clear that my comment was in reply to Jim’s, thus making it appear that I went off topic on my own. Here, I’ll help clear it up for you and others by reminding you what really happened.

Jim Bushart, in post #5 and #11, accuses InterNACHI of making a profit from free education.

Now, having read that accusation, does my reply to it seem delusional?

Here was my reply to Jim’s out-of-the-blue, off topic accusations that InterNACHI is a carpetbagger in Tennessee, profiting financially from helping members keep up with their CE requirements for free:

Gromicko writes:

Michael, I think it only fair that if you quote what appears to be a dilusional off-topic comment of mine, that you also explain what it was in response to.

O.K, here is another quote of the same venue. My comments stand from my previous post. The point being made is simple, Why is it that we, as an association do not get involved in home inspection bills that can cripple an inspectors lively hood? Kansas and this bill as written are perfect examples, yet the focus seems to be on continuing education with little to no thought of how crappy legislation hurts the home inspection industry.

Good question and the answer is quite simple. Many of your fellow members want and fight FOR licensing. InterNACHI’s Atlanta Chapter was behind the legislation in Georgia this year (it didn’t pass BTW, Governor didn’t sign it.).

It’s easy for Jim to open his yap and start complaining that I’m busy developing free courses for profit (I don’t know what that means either) and not interested in how licensing is affecting members, bla, bla, bla, puke. But I’ve been on top of Representative Accavitti’s licensing Bill since 2004… and no I didn’t (and can’t) use membership money.

If Jim would have done a little research first he could have easily found this http://miboecfr.nictusa.com/cgi-bin/cfr/contrib_anls.cgi in MICHIGAN (scroll down on http://miboecfr.nictusa.com/cgi-bin/cfr/contrib_anls.cgi and type in “Gromicko” for Contributor Last Name.

Do you think all these licensing Bills in the past 10 years get changed to become association-neutral and even InterNACHI-friendly on their own??? Please.

Is this onefree, Nick?