Mike Holmes Taught Me Something

I happened to watch a Holmes Inspection show this week and actually learned something.

He has a habit of constantly dissing home inspectors and in this show he “found” Asbestos containing caulking.

I had never heard of it being used for Window caulking but he he eventually had the biosuit boys out to remove it at great expense.

Now someone tell me how he knew it was Asbestos and why a home inspector should have reported it?

Read about asbestos caulking here.

He took a piece out and put it on his high power microscope and said.
Yep! that’s Asbestos.
So we now need IR camera, High Power Microscope, lead test kit, 30 foot ladder with a roof harness and the longest agreement in the existence of Home Inspection.

That’s the problem kevin. He never explained.:roll:

I didn’t think TV actors have to explain anything!

I think there are others with the Name Mike who are this way … Roy

From the age of the house he could possibly make an educated guess and be correct without testing.
Prior to 1972, pretty much all products contained an amount of asbestos in the material.
A substantial amount of products contain asbestos was non-friable material which decreased the potential of harmful exposure to the human.

Here is a short list;

Cement PipesElevator Brake ShoesCement WallboardHVAC Duct InsulationCement SidingBoiler InsulationAsphalt Floor TileBreaching InsulationVinyl Floor TileDuctwork Flexible Fabric ConnectionsVinyl Sheet Flooring Cooling TowersFlooring BackingPipe Insulation (corrugated air-cell, block, etc.)Construction Mastics (floor tile, carpet, ceiling tile, etc.)Heating and Electrical DuctsAcoustical PlasterElectrical Panel PartitionsDecorative PlasterElectrical ClothTextured Paints/CoatingsElectric Wiring InsulationCeiling Tiles and Lay-in PanelsChalkboardsSpray-Applied InsulationRoofing ShinglesBlown-in InsulationRoofing FeltFireproofing MaterialsBase FlashingTaping Compounds (thermal)Thermal Paper ProductsPacking Materials (for wall/floor penetrations)Fire DoorsHigh Temperature GasketsCaulking/PuttiesLaboratory Hoods/Table TopsAdhesivesLaboratory GlovesWallboardFire BlanketsJoint CompoundsFire CurtainsVinyl Wall CoveringsElevator Equipment PanelsSpackling Compounds

And here;

asbcont.jpg

Thanks to him, homes will never sell. My Dad is 91, and worked with building, plumbing in the 30’s, drove a bus with bad fuel fumes, lead water lines in his home for years, etc. etc. It will get to the point where the EPA will say something bad about everything.

“Eh, that’s bad. Remove it. Call so and so.” “We (not I) will fix it”. “The inspector from 1930 should have caught it”.

Gotta love government, politicians, and actors.

I was surprised by the protective measures used in mitigating the asbestos caulking.

They had on full suits and tight masks.

For non friable that seems overkill.

Are their environmental regs even more stringent than here in the U.S.?

Just good for TV show. and Big bucks for the network.

It gives a very wrong impression of what to expect from a home inspector.

He is constantly “finding” things that are concealed or requiring special testing and/or destructive actions to locate the problem.

I’ve done asbestos caulk abatement, asbestos rope abatement, asbestos paint abatement, etc. if it contains more than 1% asbestos, it’s asbestos contaminated.

He is the John Wayne of Home Inspections, anything goes.

It is a TV show for krist sake, anything goes, as long as the sponsers keep paying. :slight_smile:

I like the show but the drama and ragging on home inspectors gets old.

Sure he finds things that a decent inspector should have found but often he has to dig pretty deep to find a problem.

Remember if it is not broken or disturbed it is not dangerous.
Exterior caulk can be sealed with paint,shellac or lacquer and then
a liberal amount of additional high quality silicon caulk on-top. That should keep it inert for10 plus years.
If the windows are being replaced is another story.

Last prospective client quoted him ( Mike Holmes ) almost verbatim.
I dropped him yesterday.
Litigation is the end result with this default prospective client.

One thing I have learned from the show is that almost every home in Canada has buried electrical splices. I would put something in my reports stating as such even if I didn’t see any.

The drama continues on tonight’s episode.

Tonight we learned that the inspector gave the house an 8 or 9.

Who gives homes a rating? :roll:

I will admit there were some royal screw ups in this one by the inspector.

Pay attention guys, Mike might be following you;)

Here comes Mike’s sledge hammer. $$$$

Never heard of that and ever seen one… Roy

I will ask around but do not think it is normal…

Now to be clear Robert, underground splices, low voltage ( 600V ) splices?
Please elaborate.

Micheal, what channel is The Holmes show on.
I have not watched TV for almost 6 months now.
Thanks.

HGTV

He should have bulldozed this one

What a mess.

They ripped off nearly new roof after the mold guys used rotory wire brushes and reduced the thickness of the roof sheating to unsafe thickness.

Don’t they have dry ice remediators up there?

Thanks.
Dry ice for mold remediation in Quebec.
That show is from BC.