Minimum workspace at electrical panel

I saw this panel on a new construction home. It is on an exterior wall so it is free of obstructions, plenty of space to work. But with the required workspace of 30" on each side, wouldn’t that require not only unobstructed elbow room, but also don’t you need a safe place to stand?
the center of that meter and main shut off (200 amp) is only 15 inches from a dropoff of 42 inches onto a downhill slope. if you fell off that wall, you might tumble down the hill for a while, possibly impaling yourself on that ground rod sticking up 14" above grade, or the second ground rod sticking 6 inches above grade.

Would you call out this location for a lack of a safe place to stand, or are there other problems you can see here?

Space and guard rail needed because it is now a path. Not sure what code says but who cares? :sunglasses:

1 Like

Even without the electrical panel there, I would call out that retaining wall for lack of a guardrail, but with the electrical panel there, I’m thinking its a very poorly planned space.

3 Likes

The stone wall is technically in the dedicated equipment space. One could argue that the finished product complies with the working space if the proper clearances are met because you could stand on the dirt. The width of the working space would need to be 30" wide and measured from the edge of the concrete to the end of the stone. It would also need to be 36" deep.

The ground rods (unless they’re 10’ long) need to be installed so that the full 8’ is in contact with the earth. You would also need an expansion fitting where the pipe enters the enclosure.

A few NEC sections:

110.26(E)(2) Outdoor.
Outdoor installations shall comply with 110.26(E)(2)(a) through (c).
(a) Installation Requirements. Outdoor electrical equipment shall be the following:
(1) Installed in identified enclosures
(2) Protected from accidental contact by unauthorized
personnel or by vehicular traffic
(3) Protected from accidental spillage or leakage from piping systems
(b) Work Space. The working clearance space shall include the zone described in 110.26(A). No architectural appurtenance or other equipment shall be located in this zone.
(c) Dedicated Equipment Space. The space equal to the width and depth of the equipment, and extending from grade to a height of 1.8 m (6 ft) above the equipment, shall be dedicated to the electrical installation. No piping or other equipment foreign to the electrical installation shall be located in this zone.
Exception: Structural overhangs or roof extensions shall be permitted in this zone.

300.5(J) Earth Movement. Where direct-buried conductors, raceways, or cables are subject to movement by settlement or frost, direct-buried conductors, raceways, or cables shall be arranged
so as to prevent damage to the enclosed conductors or to equipment connected to the raceways.
Informational Note: This section recognizes “S” loops in under‐ground direct burial cables and conductors to raceway transitions, expansion fittings in raceway risers to fixed equipment, and, generally, the provision of flexible connections to equipment subject to settlement or frost heaves.

4 Likes

The requirement is the total width of the working space would need to be 30" wide, not 30" on each side.

2 Likes

While there may be concerns with the drop-off to one side, my immediate thought is the thought of standing in a wet flower bed whilst doing anything on a 200 amp electrical panel!

I don’t know what the NEC has to say about it, but logic is screaming “NO”!

1 Like

Is that a common way of evaluating things? Just maximizing safety?

None of this really matters. No matter what you write nothing will be done. Might as well save your breath.

I think so. Code contains minimum safety requirements. Sometimes common sense will fill in where code leaves off or comes up short. Client lifestyle is also a consideration such as clients age, kids, pets etc.

For example, I want elderly people to have good illumination, handrails and level walking surfaces. I want kids to have sturdy guard rails and pickets for elevated decks.

2 Likes

Its not a pedestrian walkway but agreed it needs to be called out for railing or safety warning.

Erosion control should be a focus here. I would like to see a series of terrace steps