Missing Window Screens

Originally Posted By: Rusty Rothrock
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Ok, I thought I would post a new topic to get everyone’s opinion and maybe create a census as to yea or nay. It’s a simple topic and one that we HI’s deal with every day. The issue is missing screens in windows.

I personally look at a window screen being an working part of an operable window. If the screens are missing I usually will write it up as a defect.

What do you all do with missing screens? Do you also consider it a defect or do you write it up as an IMPROVEMENT item where the Seller couldn't really be asked to improve the property before selling.

Let's get some comments from everyone.

Regards, Rusty

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Sorry Rusty,

Screens are an option in the manufacture of window that I love the best, Anderson. They may not be missing, just not purchased.

Most homes have air now anyway, so people figure they will never need them. For the most part they are right, they never open them, they just turn on the heat or the air, whichever they need. Just like me! icon_cool.gif

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

I’m almost with Joe. If no windows has screens, I don’t say much. If all but one has them I will tell them but not make a big deal of it.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Ditto. It falls under “what really matters”. I mention it, but don’t point it out as a defect.

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: nlewis

Igor,

To let the smoke out of the house in case of a fire!

Rusty,
I don't feel that every item has to be categorized as a defect, improvement, etc. I've seen some H.I. reports that call a minor maintenance issue,STRUCTURAL DEFECT, just because that is how it is listed on the preprinted checklist. Seems overblown to me. I would just state the missing screens as fact.

Joe,

Have you seen the brand new Andersen series 200 tilt window. They have really cheapened their product with this window. Oh yeah, it tilts and is an Andersen, so builders love 'em. But, you can't even get it with high performance glass! The 200 series is now alot less expensive than the venerable Narroline, which has been around, virtually unchanged, since I think 1968.

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: Robert Patterson

Doesn’t TX require write ups of missing screens? I always write 'em.

Bob

Ok,

Screens can actually hinder exit from the house if they are in the window, so there is two sides to every story.

This is as simple as telling the people if they like fresh air they will need some screens. I don't see any reason what so ever to place that in the inspection report, other than to say just that.

The only reason I would put them in the report is if they were the add on storm window/screens which attach to the exterior of the window and then only if they were broken or damaged.

Lew,

I have not had a chance to look at the 200 series. The biggest problem Anderson has always had was that the cost of their windows was too high. It is common for the Anderson windows to cost up to three time as much as the depot cheapos around here. They were steadily losing ground on the sales and I am sorry to say it had to happen sooner or later. As for me, I will stick with the more expensive ones. I have had good experiences with them, I know I replaced at least a dozen in my own house. Screens were absolutely an option which added about $30 to $35 to each window. Thanks for the info, next time I am out I will check them out.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: mhenderson

We just list them as missing or torn, although AC is great,there are certain days an open window saves you $$$& there are days when the temperature is just not hot enough but an open window will do. Most houses in this area(Michigan) have interrupted service.(or in case of black-outs or brown outs)Also kitchens & baths may use windows for exhausting fumes when there is no fan…in the summer when the bath or kitchen need to be aired out,if there is no screen,pest may enter the house.Most of the time we find screens in attics or basements forgotten or misplaced…Personally, I think we need them.

Originally Posted By: matthew berman

icon_lol.gif :wink, I just tell the buyer their missing or damaged and note location in written comments.Many times they are in garage ,attic and or basement.-------matt

Originally Posted By: Richard Stanley

I list screens as missing and/or damaged when applicable. Same with screen doors. I think FHA requires them.

Originally Posted By: csewell

The Texas rule 535.228(e)(6) states:

“report as in need of repair missing or damaged window and door screens” so we Texas RI’s have to mention it.

Charles

--
Charles Sewell

How about this scenerio…

Oh my god, you will have to replace the whole window because you can not buy just the window screens, you have to buy a whole new window! icon_smile.gif

What do you think?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jremas

Now Joe, I’m sure you spent enough time drooling in Home Depot & Lowes to know that you can ge a screen made for any sized window.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598