Window seals broken?

Originally Posted By: thejnicki
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/H/HPIM1393.JPG ]

Originally Posted By: bking

yes, if not now it will be soon.

www.BAKingHomeInspections.com

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

i agree with bruce, it’s not a matter of if it will condensate, but when. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

when I first clicked on the photo, I couln’t figure out what you were referring to. It looked like decorative trim and I thought I was missing something…I guess I was! icon_biggrin.gif

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

not trim. that’s the black ruber seal between double panes. looks like maybe the vaccum tank was too high at the factory and now with good sun and heat, the rubber is actualy getting sucked in. won’t be long now. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

Quote:
The interior window seal has dropped or moved and you may wish to have it replaced by a competent person.

--
"I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused"-Elvis Costello

Brian,

i’m not too sure on excactly how this particular window was made, but the replacement glass i buy is sealed with not only rubber, but a thin aluminum frame inside the panes as well. maybe a regonal thing, but if that window has the frame, i’d think that the rubber has seperated from it and would compromise the integritty of it. but if not then it may last awhile. who knows, i’d much rather recomend fixing, than not and then get the call that it is sweating between the panes. plus it looks ugly like that and it was not made that way. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Tim,

Are you sure that interior black material was not designed that way. (I think it was). It sure does look like it, by looking at the curvature on both angles....They're both the same style curve.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: thejnicki

This only only occured at a few windows not all, I wasnt too concerned about it but I did address it on my report. Thanks All.

Originally Posted By: lewens

Due to the fact that I sat through a ceu seminar yesterday given by Bob Brown of CATS he brought up the instance of this happening with a product called “swiggle seal”. This is what Jay is describing. Imbedded in the rubber is a thin aluminum corrugated strib that has been known to fail if the interior temp between the two pains of glass is excessive.

Larry

Originally Posted By: lewens

Sorry about the blatant plug for CATS and the NACHI CARAVAN but the talk was very informative and I learned alot. I have been installing windows for years but I was surprised at how little I know about how the damn things work.

Larry

Originally Posted By: rcooke

lewens wrote:
Sorry about the blatant plug for CATS and the NACHI CARAVAN but the talk was very informative and I learned alot. I have been installing windows for years but I was surprised at how little I know about how the damn things work.
Larry

Don't be sorry if they did a good job then tell all .
Glad to hear it went well .
You all deserve a pat on the back for putting it to-gether

Roy sr

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

just an observation, someone mentioned in this thread that double glazed windows have a vacumn between them. This is not the case, they have an inert gas between the panes (normally Argon) think about it, if you had two panes seperated by a vacumn, you would have a convex lens.

Regards

Gerry

Gerry is right. when i order 30’‘x80’’ slider glass, my cheap a$$ boss tells them not to run them threw the argon chamber so they use “dehydrated air” instead. it’s a little cheaper and about 85% as efficiant as argon, but there is options. argon is best because it does not support any water content at all so it will never condensate as long as it stays sealed. icon_cool.gif