Modified Bitumen Edge

Inspected a house with an MB roof and noticed the edge was lifting up. Further inspection revealed I could easily lift it up and see the end of the flashing and the roof deck. I’ve looked online at MB installations and through this forum and haven’t been able to find anything that clearly addresses whether or not the edge is to be sealed. I suspect it is, but want to make sure. I don’t run across too many of these so while I may be book-smart I’m lacking in true experience. Any advice would be appreciated.

Tony

Yes, it normally needs to be properly sealed to accommodate the expansion of the metal drip edge and prevent the wind driven rain from getting in. What was the slope?

Here is a good detail:
modbit_roofedge

I am a bit surprised by your question. Well, more than a bit.
Observation: OLD roll roof.
Air Blisters.
Not secured to the decking in areas.
Not secured to flashing,
Granular loss.
Flashing corrosion.
Recommend: Replace immediately.

Marcel Cry and Kenton Shepard have a great roofing resource. I recommend you go through the material. I
Hopefully Marcel or another member will provide the link. I am busy writing a report. I will leave it later if no one replies.

That roof has gone way beyond it’s useful life and needs to be replaced.
Looks like it was coated with a tar based product over the years and installed in a vertical application, which is allowed by some manufacturers but obviously better in a shingle application.
The product was initially bonded to the metal edge but has now lost it’s adhesion and needs replacement.

And what’s up with that crooked chimney? LOL

Hey Marcel, it was actually installed in a shingle fashion, the vertical appearance and crooked chimney are due to my poor choice of camera angle. I’ve attached a “corrected” version. If you could provide a link to the education Robert mentioned that would be great. It’s apparent I need me some learnin’. Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the correction, I thought I was looking up the slope of the roof. LOL
You can start with this here, CE Center - SBS-Modified Bitumen Roofing and then go from there. You can google more info along the way until you find what matches what you see in the field.
Remember, what you see in your photo is old and procedures and material have changed a lot over the years, so it will be hard to find exactly what is existing.

Thanks a bunch. This is a good starting point. I appreciate the link! Happy Thanksgiving!